Jump to content

David's Blog

Sign in to follow this  
  • entries
  • comments
  • views

Brewery Update

Sign in to follow this  


Today I brewed up a batch of Black Pearl Porter.


I ended up having to do a thick mash and double batch sparge in order to fit 13# of grain in my 5 gallon igloo. It came out decent though - I got 72% brewhouse efficiency and put about 5.25 gallons in the primary at 1.063.


I was worried about my yeast - I did a starter on a batch of Irish Ale yeast I had harvested from my last batch of Oatmeal Stout. It never really seemed to take off, though there was some sign of life in the 12-24 hour period. No krausen though, and no foam at the 36 hour point when I pitched it. But after 12 hours the thing was chugging to beat the band, so I guess you just never know.


Now I need to hit my hefeweizen so I have an empty keg when this puppy gets done. I think I'll invite the guys from the shop over after work on Friday...

Sign in to follow this  


Recommended Comments

There are no comments to display.

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Add a comment...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

  • Create New...