Envchemist

The best wine I ever had---I made!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2719 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Chemistry, reading, baking, camping, walking

Posted 04 November 2008 - 09:00 PM

Couple of comments---Ok more than a couple laugh.gif

1st This is sooo much better than what you can buy.

2nd I don't like Scotch...we always use what we drink---which my husband says is there anything else but Irish whiskey that is whiskey.

3rd. Yes, I really do let it sit for at least 3 weeks in the fridge.

4th. My sister does use hamburger but I use good beef. This time it was trimmed steak in the crock pot...I find that works better than on the stove. HOWEVER, I do use vegetable shortening instead of suet (crisco). If you're going to go the suet route---know your butcher...make sure it's soft and has no sinew. Been there won't go there again.

My sister got this in the 70s from a Grants Scotch Whiskey ad. I had never had mincemeat until then. It is wonderful. No, you don't taste the meat AT ALL. It does add a richness.

No one has this recipe on the internet. I LOOKED---and had to email my sister for it(---2 computer crashes cleaned out my recipe files. I wallbash.gif do have an external hard drive now lol).

FINALLY ENJOY!!! TRY IT.....this isn't THAT expensive to make!

Preserverance Pie

Filling:
2 lbs lean beef in 2" or smaller chunks
1 lb suet
4 C currants or raisins or half and half
2C chopped citron
6C unpeeled, chopped cooking apples (about 6)
8C sugar
1 pint molasses
1 pint cider vinegar
1T ground cloves
2T ground cinnamon
1T ground nutmeg
Salt to taste
Generous 1/2 C Grant's 8 Scotch (afterall it was their ad I saw in the NY Times magazine section over 35 years ago:-})
Cook beef in salted water until tender. Remove from bones and grind in food chopper (or cheat as I do and use ground beef). Grind suet and citron. Add remaining ingredients. Mix well. Place in large baking dish in roaster containing 2" of water. Bake in very slow oven, 200 degrees (or use same setting on electric roaster) for 4 hours (or until apples are tender). Stir often. Taste the Scotch. After mixture has cooled to completion, add Grant's 8 Scotch. Mixture will be quite dark in color. Place in crocks when cool and refrigerate for about 3 weeks. Makes enough for about five 9" pies.

When ready for Perseverance Pie, place filling in unbaked pie shell. Top filling with latticework. Bake at about 400 degrees for 50 minutes or until crust is golden.

To serve flambe: Ignite 1/4C warmed Grant's 8 Scotch in long-handles container and pour over pie.

Whiskey Butter Topping:
Cream together:
1 stick sweet butter
1C sifted confectioner's sugar
2T Grant's 8 Scotch

After the flame has died, decorate pie with whiskey butter run through a cake decorator. Or forget the cake decorator and give each pie a generous gob.
Primary: Selection Blackberry Port; Secondary--Patty's CC Old Vines Zin--Stablized: Selection: Monteplulciano (mine); and Pattys: EP Pinot Noir, CC Amarone, CC Rosso Fort. Her son is getting married!

#2 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 06:00 AM

YES!!! YES!!! YES!!!
I like all kinds of pies but mincemeat is one of my two favorites (the other being blueberry). Thanks for posting. I have a recipe my mother handed down, and I've never made it, but this one is really tempting. I copied it to my recipe collection and may make some up in the next day or so it will be ready for Thanksgiving.
Howie Hart

#3 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3822 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Home Theater, RC Planes, Ham Radio, Solar Electric

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:10 PM

I think you might have meant Perseverance.

A pie maker friend of ours makes Real Mincemeat pie with venison and it is great. I had only had the non meat variety before.

..Doyle

#4 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 05 November 2008 - 12:52 PM

QUOTE (Doyle @ Nov 5 2008, 01:42 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
I think you might have meant Perseverance....
When I copied the recipe and pasted it into MSWord, the spell checker caught it and suggest the same change.
Howie Hart

#5 Envchemist

Envchemist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2719 posts

Posted 06 November 2008 - 10:18 AM

You're probably right. I just copied it from what my sister had. Still very good pie!Nydia
Primary: Selection Blackberry Port; Secondary--Patty's CC Old Vines Zin--Stablized: Selection: Monteplulciano (mine); and Pattys: EP Pinot Noir, CC Amarone, CC Rosso Fort. Her son is getting married!

#6 Little Blind Guy

Little Blind Guy

Often Mistaken for Bacchus

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2492 posts
  • Interests:I'm actually rather boring...

Posted 06 November 2008 - 01:27 PM

Did you steal my mom's recipe? smile.gif

The wiskey butter topping sounds great. My mom never did that. I'm sure my dad would have liked her to though.
Martin Blind

Find me on Facebook

#7 Envchemist

Envchemist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2719 posts

Posted 10 November 2008 - 08:16 PM

I offered to bring it to my RCIA class that I teach and flambe it...but it would be hard to apologize to my Priest for burning down the library!!!

#8 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 22 November 2008 - 06:15 AM

I didn't get a chance to put this together on time for Thanksgiving, so I will be buying mincemeat pie from an excellent local bakery.
Howie Hart

#9 Envchemist

Envchemist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2719 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 05:55 PM

Howie,

It's good right after you make it. But you can still put it together for Christmas and have the 3 weeks of marination.

Nydia

#10 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 23 November 2008 - 07:54 PM

QUOTE (Envchemist @ Nov 23 2008, 07:27 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Howie,

It's good right after you make it. But you can still put it together for Christmas and have the 3 weeks of marination.

Nydia

I realize that. Thanks. However, if I make Toriere (see other thread) that might be a bit too much rich pie for one meal. We'll see.
Howie Hart

#11 Envchemist

Envchemist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2719 posts

Posted 27 November 2008 - 05:36 PM

I'll have to look that recipe up. The pie came out great. I flambe' d it and then topped with the whiskey butter sauce....oh my gosh. Oh we had pecan and pumpkin pie as well...but. We also had a heck of a lot of wine. We bought a Chateau Neuff that was 91 points, bought some of my own chardonnay, Cab quartet, etc. My friends had ice wine from the Canadian side of Niagra area, and I brought over some muscat and port for dessert. I am sooo stuffed. Nydia

#12 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4046 posts

Posted 28 November 2008 - 12:09 AM

QUOTE (Envchemist @ Nov 27 2008, 07:08 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
...I am sooo stuffed. Nydia
I'm never going to eat again.

Howie Hart

#13 Envchemist

Envchemist

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2719 posts

Posted 23 October 2012 - 07:09 PM

Thought I'd bump this. I remembered posting this back awhile ago and I'm making it this year. So this was an easy place to find it!!

Nydia

#14 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15632 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 23 October 2012 - 09:41 PM

Still sounds delicious!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users