8 replies to this topic

#1 Jack

Jack

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:21 PM

Other than the chemical formula, is there a difference between sodium metabisulphite and potassium metabisulphite? I ordered some K meta. from Midwest Supplies and received Na meta. Apparently, both will sanitize, but is there a downside to Na meta.? Can you use Na meta. in the wine making process as well as use for sanitizing?
Staircase Cellars

#2 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking and wine tasting-judging, Kiteboarding, flyfishing, RC airplanes

Posted 04 March 2004 - 08:34 PM

Both salt have the same effect on the wine except that the Na will add some sodium to your diet. It is not really good for diabetics.

Séb
Sébastien Mailloux
Certified Wine Judge, WJC
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#3 blanknoone

blanknoone

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 167 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 05:06 AM

My rule is Na for sanitizing and K in the wine. No need to put excess Na into our diets. Does that 'saltiness' flavor ever come through? I know we use relatively little of it, I am not sure how sensitive people's perception of it is.

#4 Enchanted Hills Vineyard

Enchanted Hills Vineyard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:12 PM

Hmmm that is an interesting question. When I first started making wine I noticed that several people and the USDA suggest using potassium metabisulphite instead of the sodium metabisulphite. The way I looked at it, Potassium is something that we can use more of in our diets where sodium is something that we get enough of from other sources.
Marc

#5 Jack

Jack

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1140 posts

Posted 05 March 2004 - 12:13 PM

Those were my worries. Potassium is something that people are often deficient in. However, many folks have an abundance of sodium. Of course on the other hand, sodium might be a better sanitizer than potassium or it might allow the sulphite to stay in solution longer/better than potassium.

Sounds like I need to get my hands on some potassium metabisulphite.
Staircase Cellars

#6 montepaulsen

montepaulsen

• Members
  • Pip
  • 15 posts

Posted 12 March 2004 - 10:10 PM

I recall somewhere that Sodium meta bisulfite might require more to be used when you are adding it as a sulfiting agent to the wine. It's way back in my winemaker's notes, and since we only use Potassium metabisulfite commercially, I've forgotten exactly why. I do know that Potassium Metabisulfite may contribute to tartrate instability. It's relatively slight in its effect, though, and home winemakers wouldn't have to worry about it, along with the effects on sodium intact. Not at those levels. Commercially, we are careful about metabisulfite when it comes to adding it close to bottling, especially for the tartrate effects. We would add straight SO2 gas, which contains not potassium, but can only work on a commercial scale.

I do know that Sodium metabisulfite is cheaper than potassium, so if they charged you the same price, you might want to demand a rebate, although in small package purchases, you're not likely to get anywhere.

#7 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking and wine tasting-judging, Kiteboarding, flyfishing, RC airplanes

Posted 13 March 2004 - 10:59 AM

Montepaulsen, your right ! Potassium metabisulfite contain 57% of SO2 compare to 48% for the sodium metabisulfite.

Séb
Sébastien Mailloux
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#8 breumyster

breumyster

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1194 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 03:17 PM

Last time I checked, sodium bisulfite is not approved for use in commercial wineries in the US. I don't know reason unless it has to do with the truth in labeling laws that require sodium content to be listed. Anyone know the real poop?

#9 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts

Posted 14 March 2004 - 03:26 PM

I think it's only because of the sodium it add to wine and thus, to your diary. I beleive that in Canada they can't add sodium meta to the commercial wine too. I know that this is very bad for the health of diabetics.

Séb
Sébastien Mailloux
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)