Symphony Wine

• Please log in to reply
16 replies to this topic

#1 winehead

winehead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Boating, fishing, sking and winemaking.

Posted 24 September 2005 - 02:03 PM

Has anyone purchased a bottle of Symphony wine from his or her local grocery store? I have a very large wine department in mine and I have not been able to purchase a bottle. I also looked at Cosco. If you have what was the winery that made it?
winehead

#2 number2

number2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 705 posts

Posted 24 September 2005 - 06:37 PM

IronStone Vineyards "Symphony"-I love the stuff. It's just off dry and has the most intense tropical fruit aroma/flavors I've yet found-goes great w/ Indian BTW(hard match usually).

#3 Vinmaker

Vinmaker

Winemaker

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7129 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 05:59 AM

I have never seen that wine. Is it a flavored wine?

Happily Winemaking.

Waiting for the 2013 Harvest!

#4 rrs18

rrs18

That little old winemaker...Me.

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2805 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, Stanley the poochie, NE Patriots, and Boston Red Sox

Posted 25 September 2005 - 06:30 AM

I have never seen a commercially made symphony, but Wineexpert has a version of it. It will be my next kit. The description:

http://www.winexpert...es/Symphony.pdf

or

Symphony ( 0 )
A white wine with the incredibly intense aromas of melon, grapefruit, mango, peach, banana and papaya. The fruity character picks up a strong backbone from the good acidity, and hint of tannin, carried over from the Grenache Gris grape.
De gustibus non est disputandum

#5 winehead

winehead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:07 AM

QUOTE (number2 @ Sep 24 2005, 07:09 PM)
IronStone Vineyards "Symphony"-I love the stuff.  It's just off dry and has the most intense tropical fruit aroma/flavors I've yet found-goes great w/ Indian BTW(hard match usually).

I am in the clearing stage of a 6-gallon batch of Symphony. The reason I was asking if any one has purchased it before is because I wanted to taste it. I have been told that it is an excellent fruity wine intense tropical fruity aroma. I guess I will pay special attention for Ironstone Vineyards when searching. Thanks number2.
winehead

#6 winehead

winehead

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 25 September 2005 - 10:12 AM

QUOTE (Vinmaker @ Sep 25 2005, 06:31 AM)
I have never seen that wine.  Is it a flavored wine?

I purchased a kit of Symphony from Wineexpert. I am in the clearing stage of a 6-gallon batch right now. I canít wait till it is time for tasting. al_coholic.gif
winehead

#7 yogi

yogi

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts
  • Location:Foothills 20 miles west of Denver at 7404 feet above sea level
  • Interests:working out, mtn hiking, x-country skiing, cooking, yoga, ice skating, reading

Posted 26 September 2005 - 09:14 AM

We enjoy Ironstone Symphany. It costs about 7 bucks at AppleJack Liquors in Denver.
Ask a big liquor store in your area.
We almost got a ton of Sympnony grapes this fall. Unfortunatle a small winery came in and bought the vineyards entire crop. Nuts....we got Voignier instead.
Yogi
Wine maker in a great co-op of friends since 1983

#8 btharp

btharp

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 373 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making

Posted 06 October 2005 - 11:21 AM

Ironstone Symphony

I picked up a bottle last weekend....didn't care for it at all. The WE Symphony is much more to my liking....dry.

#9 Foothills Estate Winery

Foothills Estate Winery

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 02 August 2006 - 09:47 PM

I have made 2 batches of the symphony kit sold at my local wine store here in denver, Both have produced an excellent light Non-chardonnay white wine. The kit usually makes wine better(more flavorful, yet smooth) than the Ironstone commercial model! I have made it about every 2 years and ironically it has been offered about the same rate my the canadian (brew ) company in kits.

#10 herkbec

herkbec

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:21 PM

QUOTE (winehead @ Sep 24 2005, 03:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>
Has anyone purchased a bottle of Symphony wine from his or her local grocery store? I have a very large wine department in mine and I have not been able to purchase a bottle. I also looked at Cosco. If you have what was the winery that made it?

I am in Jacksonville Florida so my grocery store is Publix. I got Baywood Cellars Late Harvest Symphony there last year but it sold out fast and this year has not yet hit due to it being late harvest. I just bought some Ironstone Vineyards "Obsession" California Symphony 2004 at ABC liquor store for just over 10 dollars but I haven't tried it yet. The Baywood Cellars website describes the Symphony Late Harvest as being an imitation of a Sauterne style wine and I am thinking about trying some of them. Sauterne is one of five towns in the Bordeaux region of France where they make that type of wine so I am finding that there are many options. The problem I am having is that I am a working class person and can't afford the 20 dollar and up price tag on the Sauterne.

Too much information? Hehe...sorry, but I am trying to find the same kind of wine also and not having much luck and I saw this post while doing web searchs for Symphony grapes.

#11 stevec

stevec

Idiot Savant (or perhaps just idiot)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

The "Obsession" isn't nearly as sweet as you would find in a late harvest anything. It is more of an "off-dry" wine. I don't know how extensive a selection you have at your liquor stores there, but I know there are several wonderful "after dinner" wines available from Australia for a very reasonable price (well under $20). One such winery is Yalumba (going from memory here). If you have a Trader Joe's nearby, they carry a very nice Canadian Icewine for under $20 as well. You just need to sniff around and experiment!

Steve
With, without
And who'll deny that's what the fighting's all about

#12 yogi

yogi

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1542 posts
  • Location:Foothills 20 miles west of Denver at 7404 feet above sea level
  • Interests:working out, mtn hiking, x-country skiing, cooking, yoga, ice skating, reading

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:06 PM

We made Symphony this fall. Pleased to say I've got one five gallon carboy that is clear with a soft touch of golden color. I have no idea what it smells like or tastes like as I hven't touched it since racking off the heavy lees. I think I'll stick my nose in it tongiht and see.
Thanks for the idea,

Yogi
Wine maker in a great co-op of friends since 1983

#13 Envchemist

Envchemist

The best wine I ever had---I made!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2719 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Chemistry, reading, baking, camping, walking

Posted 26 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

I'm not much for whites, but the Ironstone is OK. However, when I first brought this topic up, I was told that it didn't even come close to the kit.

Nydia
Primary: Selection Blackberry Port; Secondary--Patty's CC Old Vines Zin--Stablized: Selection: Monteplulciano (mine); and Pattys: EP Pinot Noir, CC Amarone, CC Rosso Fort. Her son is getting married!

#14 Francis Eric

Francis Eric

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • Interests:Jaming, wrighting poetry, photography wild edibles,and riding bicycles(somewhat street trick riding)

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:59 AM

I don't realy like sweet wine.--(Or most white wine)
After I read the grape does well in Hot Climates It got me interested.(Maybe somthing to grow)
I think Quite a few wineries grow it. ---
I found A link with about a dozen places(States), but cant find How to see the wineries.

After I searched for It This is what Ironstone Vineyards Said (On a different site)
WHEN TO DRINK: Fresh and fruity, this wine is meant for drinking young; but for the record, the winery says the Symphony grape "shows an unusual resistance to oxidation" and claims that it will last, if not improve, for a decade or more at cellar temperature.

#15 Luna

Luna

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 01 January 2007 - 04:23 PM

QUOTE (winehead @ Sep 24 2005, 12:35 PM) <{POST_SNAPBACK}>

Hello,
I am very familer with the Symphony wine as well as the history of the grape.
here is a link to Cameo Vineyards Symphony, there is a story about it there.......

http://www.cameovine...mphonyStory.htm

It is a wonderful wine, pairing well with Chicken,fish, sushi, Cheese and crackers, and the best is just to sit down and enjoy it all by itself and try to identify each distinct aroma and flavor.
It begins with the aromas of a Muscat grape, and the aromasare orange blossoms, honey and spice..starts out slightly sweet with flavors of stone fruits, floral and sometimes a green apple tast ( rarely) and then ends on a mildy crisp, tart and dry finish, thus showing the traits of both of its parents, the Muscat of Alexandria and the Grenach Gree.

Only a few wineries use the Symphony grape as a Varietal wine, the majority use it as a blending wine. I know Cameo Vineyards in California makes it, Ironstone, Michael David Winery in Lodi, Ca and Volcano Winery in Hawaii, are the ones that come to mind.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users