12 replies to this topic

#1 Clear Creek Vineyard

Clear Creek Vineyard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:33 AM

Ok, it's a dumb question. 11doh.gif

I have to pre-order my blackberries from the grower, and he sells by the gallon. They are thornless triple crown.

About how many pounds can I expect per gallon?

I intend to use one of Jack's 6# per 2 gallon batch recipes, and make 10 gallons, so I need 30#s.

Thanks.

#2 slonaker

slonaker

Winemaker Geek

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2457 posts
  • Interests:Besides the obvious, photography, DV, cooking, entertaining, exchanging wine with my friends.

Posted 11 July 2005 - 09:49 AM

Well, figure roughly 128 oz per gallon which equates to 8 lbs. So, you're wanting 10 gallons worth of wine using the 3 lbs per gallon fruit:wine ratio you should be ordering 4 "gallons" from your grower. Heck, get a 5 gallon bucket and make some jam, too. biggrin.gif
"If at first you don't succeed....use it in a marinade."
Ed Slonaker
El Pilon Wines
Corpus Christi, Texas <- NEW LOCATION!
www.elpilon.com/wines

#3 James

James

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 11:51 AM

I WAS GOING TO SAY 6LBS PER GALLON.
JAMES

#4 graywolfer

graywolfer

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 944 posts
  • Interests:Digging for arrowheads and artifacts.Bowhunting whitetails.Riding my old harley.Making wine.

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:06 PM

I use 3-4 lbs of raspberries per gallon, but thats just my own taste.So I figure about 18-20 pounds,actually right at 20 lbs, for my 5 gallon batchs.
Tom / Illinois

Enjoying winters in the Hill country of Texas!

"We are all born ignorant, but one must work hard to remain stupid." -Benjamin Franklin.

#5 WineyDog

WineyDog

Learning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1235 posts

Posted 11 July 2005 - 12:37 PM

I had a similar problem when I bought my straw berries. They weren’t sold by the pound either; they were sold by the flat. These flats were made up of quart containers, so I took one of the containers over to a scale and it came in just shy of one and a half pounds.

So, for what its worth, my guess for strawberries is around six pounds per gallon.

Bill,
Chief Wine Taster - My Wines
Winey Dog Wines
Freeburg, Il

#6 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 11 July 2005 - 03:30 PM

Yep, looks like you need a 5 gallon bucket full!
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

My name is Sikki Lee and I approved this message !

#7 Clear Creek Vineyard

Clear Creek Vineyard

• Members
  • Pip
  • 85 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 08:35 AM

QUOTE (slonaker @ Jul 11 2005, 10:21 AM)
Well, figure roughly 128 oz per gallon which equates to 8 lbs.

Gee, 8.8 # per gallon. That is, if it were distilled water. blink.gif

The question is: how much does a gallon of blackberries weigh?

Looks like I'll just have to make whatever amount of wine I can from however many gallons of berries I get.

#8 12percent

12percent

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:46 AM

I had a similar conundrum with raspberries. Here they are sold by the pint or 1/2 pint. But that's dry volume-wise. How many pints required to 1gal wine?? My wife happened to buy a 1/2 pint of raspberries so I weighed it -6oz. So 12oz/pint. I'm thinking blackberries would weigh similar (they're a bit larger and juicier but may be close enough). So 3lbs (48oz)/gal. equates to 4pints/gal or 1/2gal of fruit for 1gal of wine; 10gal wine will need 5gal fruit. Basically, agrees with what the others have said. You could always order extra and freeze them for the next batch or blend with something.
I'm planning on making 5 or 10gal of blackberry wine as well this year but will pick my own from local fruit farms. Be a few more years before my bb patch gets established.

#9 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 12 July 2005 - 11:28 PM

Be a few more years before my bb patch gets established.

12percent, those blackberries should make their 2nd summer. Pick any blooms off they might have the first summer, it will make them alot hardier and they will produce heavy the next year, given adequate moisture and nutrients, of course.
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

My name is Sikki Lee and I approved this message !

#10 12percent

12percent

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 297 posts

Posted 13 July 2005 - 12:08 PM

Good pointers. Thanks Hippie. My BB patch has been in sad neglect (weeds, dead canes, ect) and hasn't produced much in the past 10 yrs. Now I think I know why.

#11 Trav

Trav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:wine beer metal detecting gold prospecting cooking wine fishing shrimping crabbing camping

Posted 13 July 2005 - 03:41 PM

Hi all. This Gallon depends on the grower.. When I was younger I picked fruit,berries, when we were between crops.Tobacco.. We were paid by the quarts we picked. In Ag weight a quart was a 1/8 of a peck,so maybe a gallon is 1/2 peck and ther are 4 pecks in a bushel.But this may just confuse everthing.lol
mike
roflmao.gif

#12 Trav

Trav

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts
  • Interests:wine beer metal detecting gold prospecting cooking wine fishing shrimping crabbing camping

Posted 13 July 2005 - 04:38 PM

knock knock lol
look at this site it may be your answer

http://www.ebrew.com...king_charts.htm

mike
smileytoast.gif

#13 Joel

Joel

Amateur Wine Maker & Grape Grower

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10764 posts

Posted 14 July 2005 - 11:07 AM

I made blackberry wine 2 years ago, and I used 35lbs of blackberries to make a 6 gallon batch of wine. Yummy. al_coholic.gif

http://winepress.us/blackberry.htm

With that being said, I still don't know how much one gallon container of blackberries weighs. Sorry... wink.gif
Now Available "Introduction to Winemaking" DVD!!! Click here to learn more
Posted Image

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users