• Please log in to reply
15 replies to this topic

#1 Poppa Mike

Poppa Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 02:37 PM

How do Welch, Post, Weideiker, etc., can/preserve Grape or Mucadine Juice with such an excellent flavor ? Having consumed Post Winery(Arkansas) Muscadine Juice (not wine) and researched the benefits of Allegic Acid and Resversatrol contained in the juice, I would like to start canning Muscadine juice from our vineyard without destroying the flavors.
Any suggestions to rival Welch or Post???

#2 carolyn

carolyn

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 230 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 04:54 PM

way back in my infancy I posted this:

http://www.winepress...?showtopic=4655

I was using home-canned grape juice. It is bottle aging right and so far it is great.
I don't know what kind of grape it is (it's white) so I don't know how the canned juice compares, but here was the method:

Remove stems and wash sound ripe grapes. In pot, add just enough water to get them cooking (so they don't stick) and heat slowly to simmering. DO NOT BOIL! Simmer slowly until the fruit is very soft. Strain thru a bag. pour into sterilized canning jars to within 1/2" of top. Add lid and band and tighten FIRMLY TIGHT. Process 15 min. in boiling water bath.

After being in the cellar for 20 years I used them for wine. There was a lot of sediment in the jars when I opened them. Maybe because I sqeezed the bag too hard. I just threw the whole stuff in the primary. I fiqured they were "jar aged" for 20 years. wink.gif

#3 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, woodworking, muscadine cultivation and wine making

Posted 24 June 2005 - 05:32 PM

Mike,
I've found that by cooking muscadines you loose the muscadine flavor. If I were wanting to preserve the juice and flavor, I think I'd try preserving it with metabisulfite or cold sqeezing and freezing. Just my 2 cnts. wave.gif

#4 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:06 PM

I am 95% sure Weiderkehr and Post both use sulphite and sorbate in their bottled juices. Nothing like that muscadine juice, white or red, especially if it is ice cold after working outside.

I saw the huge bladder presses Post uses just yesterday. Very impressive. I gotta go down there in august and see them in operation.

wave.gif
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

My name is Sikki Lee and I approved this message !

#5 Poppa Mike

Poppa Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 06:24 PM

Thanks for the info so far. We have gotten close to the taste by allowing the juice to set 24+ hours and siphoning off the pure juice and freezing, but when canning it screws up the taste. Wineries in Altus, Paris, (AR) (Post, Weidieker, Cowie, etc) are around two hours North of one of our yards and beautiful country. Their tours are worth the trip.

#6 greenbean

greenbean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 08:00 PM

I'm going to stay at Weidiker (or however you spell it) next weekend. If I can remember I will ask around to see how they do it.

Chris

#7 Curt

Curt

Bumbling Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3584 posts
  • Interests:wine and winemaking
    karate
    woodworking
    photography
    hunting

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:30 PM

And on a different note PoppaMike, welcome to the best winemaking forum on the net. smileytoast.gif

what's brewing; 6gal local plum  6gal strawberry/rhubarb  6gal pinot noir  6gal blueberry/grape  6gal old vine zin  9gal local apple

#8 ms.spain

ms.spain

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts

Posted 24 June 2005 - 09:41 PM

Awesome! How many other Arkies are out there? Where are all you Fellow-Arkansans from?
I live real close to Cowie and Post.Post makes some great wines-especially their Red and White Muscadine.
ms.spain

#9 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 25 June 2005 - 12:54 AM

Post Familie Winery's red muscadine is OK but a little too sweet. I am not fond of their white muscadine, way too sweet. They make the best Vidal Blanc and Vignoles. Their Cynthiana is not bad either. A 5th generation Post young man gave us the short tour and he knew pretty much nothing. The impressive fact is that they have been making wine there since 1880.
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

#10 greenbean

greenbean

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 09:48 AM

ms.spain
I live in Rison, AR. It's around 70 miles south of Little Rock. Glenval I agree about the white muscadine way too sweet and their ports aren't even worth tasting.

Chris

#11 Poppa Mike

Poppa Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 10:41 AM

Greetings,
Knotted Knickers Vineyards & Farms are located in Texarkana and Mena (AR) and produce 95% Muscadine and 5% Buffalo, Aurora, Niagra, and Fredonia. Presently, we only have around 400 Muscadines of which are primarily Nobles, Native Wild Arkansas Vines, Cowart, and Carlos. Just for laughs there a few Supreme, Nesbitt, Jumbo, Darlene, & Higgins. Our preferences are the sweet and semi-sweet wines produced from these and Blackberries (Apache, Navaho, Arapaho and Henry Fields Choice).
We are currently using TYTY Nursery (tytyga.com) Muscadine stock which surpasses in quality any other that we have used in the past. They deliver within five days and have a one year guarantee on their vines which have excellent roots.

#12 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts

Posted 26 June 2005 - 05:12 PM

The same blackberries as me!

Welcome.

wave.gif
REBEL

#13 cd_spradlin

cd_spradlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 06:20 AM

All the advice about canning muscadine juice is correct--it kills the muscadine flavor. I even tried pasteurization without bringing to a boil with the same result. Freezing would be much better.

#14 Poppa Mike

Poppa Mike

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 08:58 AM

Thanks CD, we have had wonderful success also with freezing but wanted
to duplicate Welch and Post Juices from the bottle. (Actually we are out of freezer space!! and Granny Sharon keeps eyeing it for jelly) Anyway we want to have an alternative supply incase that there of a repeat of the 2000 ice storm that left Western and Central Arkansas without power for weeks. Mike

#15 cd_spradlin

cd_spradlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 June 2005 - 09:45 AM

Does Post's Muscadine Juice have that fresh Muscadine flavor? My neighbor had some of Post's pink grape juice from the bottle, and made jelly from it.

I have canned Concord juice from my vines, and it still has a fresh Concord flavor after cooking and sealing. Can't say the same for the Muscadine. It has a slight hint of Muscadine, if you knew it was Muscadine to begin with. Same for jelly--actually, I think the Scuppernong and bronze varieties make better jelly than the black ones.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users