4 replies to this topic

#1 Jason Miller

Jason Miller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 16 August 2013 - 07:58 AM

Hello,

Grapes have been progressing much quicker than I anticipated this year. Our vineyard is in Bumpass, VA .. Chambourcin brix is measuring at 21.4 .. temps are getting real cool at night .. Racoons have got about 30% of my harvest. Was planning to let hang as long as I can this year but that might result in 100% loss to the racoons (we have set traps, etc.).

/

Thoughts on harvesting these in a few days at say 22 brix?

#2 gwbod

gwbod

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 239 posts
  • Interests:Organ and tissue transplants save lives.

Harvested about 800# of grapes in 2013 from my personal vineyard on the farm.

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:42 AM

What are your ph readings? Taste?

Gary

#3 PEL

PEL

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 900 posts
  • Interests:Viticulture, wine making

Posted 16 August 2013 - 08:49 AM

Hello,

Grapes have been progressing much quicker than I anticipated this year. Our vineyard is in Bumpass, VA .. Chambourcin brix is measuring at 21.4 .. temps are getting real cool at night .. Racoons have got about 30% of my harvest. Was planning to let hang as long as I can this year but that might result in 100% loss to the racoons (we have set traps, etc.).

/

Thoughts on harvesting these in a few days at say 22 brix?

You do what you got to do.  A friend of mine made a pretty darn good Chambourcin Rose last year and this year he is thinking of making all of his Chambourcin this way.  Are they netted?  You may have raccoon and bird predation.  Are they high wire trellised?  It probably matters not if it is from raccoons because they will climb the vine.

I have read that rags soaked in amonia might help deter raccoons.  Perhaps you could put some out along the perimeter of your row. 

Where is most of the predation taking place - at the end of the row or more in the middle?  My experience is that birds will hit the ends of the row first.  Raccoons, on the other hand start in the middle - at least that has been my experience.

#4 S Hofner

S Hofner

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 06:10 AM

I am of the opinion that Chambourcin needs to be harvest dead ripe. The earlier it is harvested (before enological ripeness), the more hybrid/off flavors in the wine. But in your situation, I guess you have to balance a vegetal/hybrid flavor vs. having all of grapes disappear through predation.

Scott Hofner

#5 Jason Miller

Jason Miller

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 136 posts

Posted 17 August 2013 - 07:01 AM

Taste great, clusters look superb.Given this year is a "practice run" for the most part with my equipment, etc., we are going to Harvest possibly Sunday weather permitting. I honestly didn't intend much of a harvest this year but wanted to get one under my belt before the big one next year. I'm glad I did .. learning so much!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users