#1 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3831 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Home Theater, RC Planes, Ham Radio, Solar Electric

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:18 PM

Having tasted a number of 2 Buck Chuck wines and even used a couple for desperate topping wines. I was surprised to see that they took 3 gold medals in the latest Orange County Fair Commercial competition. The real sting came when the 3 wines I entered in the Orange County Home Competition took Silver, Bronze and Honorable mention.
http://www.winebusin...e&dataid=118518

#2 GEM

GEM

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 428 posts
  • Interests:growing grapes & wine making, golf, gardening, life

Posted 27 June 2013 - 12:43 PM

Doyle,

I just read this too and was amazed, although I guess I should not have been.  My wife said, "no way are we going to get some of that" when I suggested we get a few bottles for topping up our carboys.  I cannot believe the two bud chuck scored that well and I am sure your fine wines are far superior.  Makes one wonder what the "experts" are drinking or smoking!  Cheers, Gary

Gary Means

#3 kakeeler

kakeeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Interests:Wine, grape growing, olive oil producer, grows lavender and makes lavender products, general farming. Enjoys winemaking, cooking, classical music (particularly Italian Baroque), art, antiques, cooking, ballet.

Posted 27 June 2013 - 11:31 PM

It's not awful, but that's what we say about our wine. Doyle, it's unanimous, two of us are convinced your wines had to be better!

#4 rpage53

rpage53

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:44 AM

Blind wine tasting always produces surprises. Humans are pretty sad at tasting (and even worse at smelling).

Wine should only be judged by beagles.

Rick.

#5 TomasK

TomasK

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 193 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:34 AM

Not sure about that, Rick.  Our beagle would eat anything even remotely edible, and drink anything remotely potable!

#6 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15883 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 28 June 2013 - 05:31 AM

My understanding is that Two Buck Chuck buys large volumes of surplus wines.  They have to get lucky occasionally.  And their bottles were probably not pulled off the shelf of a discount liquor store or grocery shelf, but were carefully selected by the company, bottled and entered in competition, just as we would enter our best.  Doesn't really say a lot about their wines as a whole.

Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#7 kakeeler

kakeeler

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 979 posts
  • Interests:Wine, grape growing, olive oil producer, grows lavender and makes lavender products, general farming. Enjoys winemaking, cooking, classical music (particularly Italian Baroque), art, antiques, cooking, ballet.

Posted 28 June 2013 - 07:30 AM

My understanding is that Two Buck Chuck buys large volumes of surplus wines.  They have to get lucky occasionally.  And their bottles were probably not pulled off the shelf of a discount liquor store or grocery shelf, but were carefully selected by the company, bottled and entered in competition, just as we would enter our best.  Doesn't really say a lot about their wines as a whole.

They also grow grapes along the 5, in the corridor just as you come out of the grapevine, which is what partially caused the big lawsuit up in Napa, because I think he had Napa Valley on his labels and he was growing them some place no where near Napa.  I agree, they probably sent their best -- maybe their six buck Chuck!

#8 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 12:24 PM

Meh - I think Charles Shaw is decent ..... hellva lot better than wines triple its price like that nasty Cupcake wine. Just like Winking Owl (Aldi's version thats even cheaper) they are just brands - in the case of Winking Owl .... its not bulk wine, overage wine, etc .... its an actual line made from E&J Gallo. So its being made from similar company vineyards and from the same wine making team that also makes Ecco Domani, Turning Leaf, Black Swan, Liberty Creek, and so on.

Just cause the price of something is low don't automatically stereotype and equate it to junk.

Stop being so pretentious and enjoy a nice glass of wine ... regardless of price ;)

Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#9 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3831 posts

Posted 28 June 2013 - 04:52 PM

I may have to swing by TJs this weekend and see if they have any. Worst case it goes into a sauce or marinade. With as hot as it will be this weekend will probably be Smoking some Ribs and Brisket. I never really wanted to put the really good wine in a sauce, I'd rather it was in my glass.

#10 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 29 June 2013 - 08:36 PM

Mr. Doyle .... swing by Aldi and pick up a bottle of Winking Owl - less than TJ's 2 buck chuck and better.

106039938_6fa8a6ad3d_m.jpg

Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#11 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3831 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:09 PM

Lately I have just been going out to my Wine building and filling a bottle with a nice 2007 Cab from a 5 Gal Corny Keg. I did pickup the $2 buck Cab and Merlot last Friday but haven't opened them to try.

#12 beachdude8977

beachdude8977

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:mmm Wine! Surfing!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 01:39 PM

I finally purchased one for the hell of it as well, 2011 chardonnay..  I wonder if these guys submit wines yearly?  Or if its a marketing strategy.. maybe they purchase decent quality grapes every couple of years and submit wines that year only, knowing it could win a medal.. then go back to buying cheaper quality grapes for a couple of years without submitting a thing once they feel they've got everyone's attention again.. 

#13 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3873 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:15 PM

I don't feel they do - their wine quality is just as good this year as last year as it was a decade ago.

#14 beachdude8977

beachdude8977

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 367 posts
  • Interests:mmm Wine! Surfing!

Posted 01 July 2013 - 02:56 PM

if it is, then kudos to them! I'm actually excited to try it! My boss loves to make fun of me and tell me i've invested so much money in wine making supplies when it most likely will make me 2-buck chuck quality wines...  that might serve as a compliment now :P

if gary likes it, it must be good! haha

http://tv.winelibrar...uk-episode-212/

#15 rpage53

rpage53

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 01 July 2013 - 05:53 PM

British Columbia has minimum pricing on alcohol, so the cheapest bottle of wine is $6. That means we never see the really cheap stuff and at my local store the cheapest is still Baby Duck at $6.99. I'm curious to try 2 buck chuck.

Rick.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users