#1 wxtrendsguy

wxtrendsguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts
  • Interests:Wine and Weather

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:39 AM

2586 vines in the ground, staked and grow tubes installed...Now please bring some rain...this is ridiculous...3 years in a row now with virtually no rain from late May to July...and then the heavens open up in Aug, Sep and Oct, I hope not again this year.

About 70% have bud break and the remaining 30% need a good dose of rain and then we'll be off to the races.  First vintage with estate grapes coming in 2016.

TTB is moving my application along so we might even be licensed in time for 2013 crush from neighboring vineyard, wouldn't that be nice...

Attached Files

Owner and Winemaker at Weathered Vineyards, near Allentown, PA.

500 Cases in 2013 or Riesling, Chardonnay, Cab Franc, Pinot Noir, Marechal Foch, Merlot and Traminette.

#2 wxtrendsguy

wxtrendsguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:42 AM

I guess I can no longer call this a hobby...it's my job for retirement, can't trust the government or stock market to provide it so I had better do it myself.

500 Cases in 2013 or Riesling, Chardonnay, Cab Franc, Pinot Noir, Marechal Foch, Merlot and Traminette.

#3 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13464 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 08:53 AM

Congratulations!  Don't let them dry out. 

Cheers!

Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#4 bigdrums2

bigdrums2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:American Grapes and their history, Hybrids, gardening, learning as much as I can about everything.

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:19 AM

Congrats!

#5 wxtrendsguy

wxtrendsguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 11:29 AM

Soil is still damp a few inches down from rain a couple of weeks ago...supposed to get an inch of rain tomorrow into Friday so keeping my fingers crossed since I do not have irrigation and no close by water source...

#6 tom sawyer

tom sawyer

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3724 posts
  • Interests:brewing, winemaking, soapmaking, cheesemaking: yes I'm clean smelling, flatulent, constipated and slightly inebriated

Posted 22 May 2013 - 12:52 PM

Wow what is that, 4 acres or so?  Looks good but a lot of work.

Lennie

Fermenting: 
Barreled: Sangiovese, Norton, Chambourcin

Carboys:  Cayuga, Traminette

#7 poni

poni

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1520 posts
  • Interests:My Wine-garden, drums, pizza making, comics and The Batman...

Posted 22 May 2013 - 02:03 PM

Well, get yer watering can and get to work i suppose! Good job, it looks awesome!

#8 Chuck21

Chuck21

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 159 posts
  • Interests:Growing Grapes and DIY projects

Posted 22 May 2013 - 04:02 PM

Congratulations! Looks good and I hope you get some rain.

Table grapes ( 348 vines) : Pione, Shine Muscat, Golby, Sunny Rouge, Kohibito, Queen Seven, Queen Nina, Yuho, Kotopy

Wine grapes (17 vines): Yama Sauvignon 

#9 Grafted Grapevine

Grafted Grapevine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Grape growing, wood working, my kids activites, camping

Posted 22 May 2013 - 05:00 PM

Did you cover the vines with soil? Soil will protect them from drying out until it rains. High heat and dry weather can be detrimental to newly planted vines.

Eric Amberg
Operations Manager
Grafted Grapevine Nursery, LLC
585-317-3856
www.graftedgrapevines.com

#10 wxtrendsguy

wxtrendsguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 22 May 2013 - 07:43 PM

Hi Eric, we mounded up the soil to just below the graft union figuring summer rain would beat the soil down as we move forward in time.

I was at the vineyard tonight digging around and all you have to do is go down an inch and the soil is damp, not wet but at least its damp...one nice thing about the humidity around here for the last 5 days is that it slows the evaporation of moisture from the soil.

Here is a picture from last weekend, but with the recent warm weather most of the vines have doubled the amount of growth in just a few days.

Speaking of storms..some are firing just to my west...come on Mother Nature bring me some rain.

Attached Files

#11 Grafted Grapevine

Grafted Grapevine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts
  • Interests:Grape growing, wood working, my kids activites, camping

Posted 23 May 2013 - 04:07 AM

If they are growing, then the roots have started pumping water and the vines are good. If they have not started growing, then the roots may not have started pumping water, and the exposed portion of the vine is as risk of desiccation (drying out). The lack of root activity could be due to several factors, too dry, poor root to soil contact, or may still be somewhat dormant. Like you said earlier, a good rain will usually solve the first 2 factors. Time will solve the last one. 

As far as I know, all nurseries recommend covering the vines totally with soil to protect them from desiccation and from potential late frosts. It is not a big step in the planting process but can significantly increase the % take, usually to 100%, and it give the peace of mind that the vines are safe. Once the risk of frost is past, and the shoots are growing through the loose soil that is covering the vines, one only has to take a 4 prong hoe to pull the soil away and then install the grow tubes (if that is the plan). 

I know that I have mentioned this in several different posts, but it is a lesson that seems to be difficult for people to accept. 

Eric Amberg
Operations Manager
Grafted Grapevine Nursery, LLC
585-317-3856
www.graftedgrapevines.com

#12 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16387 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:38 AM

Congratulations!

Here in Tennessee new vines would never make it without watering, even though we get lots of rain, 56" or so a year.  We get dry spells for at least a few weeks every Summer and our high humidity isn't enough to keep new vines from drying out and dieing.  In fact, here, on new vines, if it hasn't rained in about 3 days I water.  A week would push the limit and 2 weeks would probably kill half the vines.  Even in my clay soil that retains moisture... it turns to brick when it bakes in the heat.  A couple Summers ago we had 21 days in a row 100 degrees or above.  I was doing an Auction under a tin roof every Monday, Wednesday and Friday at 1pm through that, so I remember it too well.

My first year that I put in 300 vines, my city water bill hit $400, $600, $600 and $800 a month!  Then we put in a well, $4000.  It's good to have but I don't use it much now that my vines are in seasons 7 and 8.  This year we added a lot of new vines, so it'll get used plenty.  I know you're buried in start-up costs, but a well would be an excellent investment you'd never regret.

Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#13 wxtrendsguy

wxtrendsguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 23 May 2013 - 06:33 PM

Storms passed all around me last night...why doesn't that surprise me...but today we picked up 1/2" of rain.  Walked around the vineyard this evening and that 70% has now climbed to 90% or 95% bud break...oh yea we are off to the races.  More storms are lining up for an extended stay tonight...

#14 bigdrums2

bigdrums2

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts
  • Interests:American Grapes and their history, Hybrids, gardening, learning as much as I can about everything.

Posted 23 May 2013 - 08:46 PM

Wade, same situation here. It's either soft muddy clay or hard as a brick clay.

#15 wxtrendsguy

wxtrendsguy

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 736 posts

Posted 30 May 2013 - 05:47 AM

So of course its going to be near 90 for the next 3 days, and we have only had about 1.5" of rain since planting at the beginning of the month.  About 90% have started growing some almost 12" already.  I have one row where 25 plants in a row did not take or break bud...I think its a bad batch from the nursery as they came in bundles of 25.

Anyway I am worried that I need to water at least once and of course my irrigation well has not been installed yet...local gov't delays and now I am at the back of the line for the well driller...usually it rains 4" a month around here in May but this spring is very dry.

How much water should I use per plant?  We got about 0.25" of rain on Tuesday and are expecting another 0.5" this weekend and then dry for 4 days next week but much cooler...then maybe heavy rain around June 10.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users