• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 freshgrapes

freshgrapes

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:fishing, wine & beer making, movies, cooking, outdoor activities, travel, faith-based.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 04:17 PM

A veteran hobby winemaker sadly in home hospice asked if I was interested and graciously sold me this lightly used crusher-destemmer + stand that was originally hand crank but adapted by his friend with a motor.  It runs great, has been well cared for, and was used for just several seasons by him.  I grabbed it at his asking price of $450. 

P10001471.jpg

P10001451.jpg

P10001461.jpg

P10001481.jpg

#2 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15950 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:40 PM

I think you'll be happy with it.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#3 freshgrapes

freshgrapes

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts
  • Interests:fishing, wine & beer making, movies, cooking, outdoor activities, travel, faith-based.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 05:48 PM

Thanks Wade.  This will definitely give me more options for sourcing my grapes and receiving them in the Brix/pH/TA range I'm looking for, rather than when crush/destemming on premises of the vineyard.  

By the way, when I said he is a "veteran" winemaker I meant he has 40 years into it, rather than regarding military service.  Just a clarification.

#4 Hummer

Hummer

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 403 posts
  • Interests:Fruit grower, field ornithologist & master bird bander with a passionate interest in wine.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 07:12 PM

Nice machine, someone put a lot of work into adding the motor, chute, stand and wheels. Too bad about the impending loss of an old time winemaker. He probably has some stories to tell.

A crusher-destemmer is a big step up in home winemaking that will help you make better wines at less cost, and they're fun to use. Best of all, when you go to sell it, you won't lose a penny on it. Congrats on the good find.
Steve

#5 kakeeler

kakeeler

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts
  • Interests:Wine, grape growing, olive oil producer, grows lavender and makes lavender products, general farming. Enjoys winemaking, cooking, classical music (particularly Italian Baroque), art, antiques, cooking, ballet.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:18 PM

Make some incredible wine in honor of his 40 years dedicated to winemaking!

#6 freshgrapes

freshgrapes

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 09 December 2012 - 08:21 PM

And to his talent!  He took Best of Show with about 8 blue ribbons at his county fair this year, in a winemaking area of central Washington State!

#7 kakeeler

kakeeler

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts
  • Interests:Wine, grape growing, olive oil producer, grows lavender and makes lavender products, general farming. Enjoys winemaking, cooking, classical music (particularly Italian Baroque), art, antiques, cooking, ballet.

Posted 09 December 2012 - 09:36 PM

Really impressive! There are so many people out there with vast amounts of experience and knowledge. A toast to him and his successes!

#8 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15950 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:41 AM

He did a nice job of building it out, the stand, chute, wheels motor etc. It also looks like it's been meticulously maintained.
I have a very similar model, still hand crank though, with a stainless hopper. I plan to motorize it and build a better stand for it this year. I may copy your stand design some and add wheels to it as well. My stand lets it jump around too much while hand cranking.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#9 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4071 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:30 AM

A crusher-destemmer that comes with a story that you'll be reminded of every time you use it.

Howie Hart

#10 freshgrapes

freshgrapes

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 08:26 PM

Howie, it goes even deeper than that.  I work closely with his daughter and she and her husband (and kids) are good friends.  You probably noticed that it is painted in red, white and green.  That is in honor of the colors of the Italian flag, which I believe is due primarily to his affinity to their wines.  I got to tour his converted garage that contains an equipment and fermentation room, a lab room, and a separate wine cellar complete with barrels and bottle racks that is temp controlled via fan/air conditioner or fan/heater depending on the season, to stay at 55F.  And his daughter is a hugely talented amateur artist and she painted a breathtaking mural on one wall of the summer vineyard hills of Tuscany, with her father's winery crest above the door, and Doric pillars to each side of the door, at the entrance to the wine cellar.  This is a family with passion!

#11 kakeeler

kakeeler

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1003 posts

Posted 10 December 2012 - 09:42 PM

This is a wonderful story. We hope your wines will continue their tradition and passion for excellence and artistry!

#12 cya

cya

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:Food, Wine, Travel, Audio gear, Beatles, France, Bicycles

Posted 26 September 2013 - 01:40 PM

It's probably too small a machine for you. I'd gladly drive from Seattle and take it off your hands for the price you paid.

cy
Seattle, WA USA

#13 freshgrapes

freshgrapes

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 402 posts

Posted 26 September 2013 - 02:13 PM

It's probably too small a machine for you. I'd gladly drive from Seattle and take it off your hands for the price you paid.

Let me think about that.... hmmm.  Well, no thank you.  Ha-ha.  I'm lookng forward to re-christening it once my pinot noir grapes hit ripeness, which is beginning to look like mid-October since they are still at 21.3 Brix following recent cooler weather.  I'm actually happy about the hang time!  I'm hoping to use this fine equipment many times over the years to come.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users