How Long Is Too Long In Primary Fermentation (2 More Days Hurt?)
Posted 15 October 2012 - 07:06 PM
Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:00 PM
Owner and Winemaker at Weathered Vineyards.
3 acres of Cab Franc, Merlot, Sauv Blanc, and Cayuga x Riesling.
Winery Opening Spring 2014 near Allentown, PA.
Posted 15 October 2012 - 08:27 PM
2013 awaiting barrel: inlaws CV Bordeaux blends, friends OV Zin, Wash Syrah and Sangio, Gren/PS for Rhone blending
AGING: 2012 Chardonnay Champagne
BARRELING: Yakima Valley Pinot Noir 12, CV Zin, Lake County Montepulciano and Zin 12
Awaiting bottle: ...
Posted 15 October 2012 - 09:35 PM
The Best of Times is Now! :0)
Posted 16 October 2012 - 04:13 AM
2013 Sonoma Cabernet - 7 lugs
2013 Lodi Maggio Old Vine Zinfandel - 15 lugs
2013 Old Vine Barbera - 7 lugs
2013 Old Vine Grenache, Syrah, Mourvedre, Cinsult - 11 lugs
2013 Pinot Noir - 7 lugs
2013 Ten Brink Cabernet - 7 lugs
Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:30 PM
Posted 19 October 2012 - 02:58 PM
Posted 20 October 2012 - 05:34 AM
They were all relatively long, slow ferments, never getting above 80F, (although I was hoping to get a brief spike to 85 or so, just didn't happen for me) and the fermentation was on it's 12th day on the skins, so I decided that was probably long enough.
Warrick is pretty relaxed about pressing "dry" or nearly so. In fact, he says once the SG is below +3, you can press if you want to and let the fermentation finish in the carboy.
Since it was helpful for me to press all of the batches in one day, just so I didn't have to setup, and clean and go through all the prep etc. twice, that's what I did.
It seems to me I've read some winemakers on the forum express concern about pressing at just above Zero, with regards to sticking the ferment at that point.
I am wondering if opinions here differ from Warrick's opinion about pressing anytime after +3, or if it's any more risky as you approach Zero, and the ferment is starting to poop out anyway.
Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:29 AM
It ain't worth much, but my input: I followed Warrick's thoughts and took two recent batches and pressed around 1.010 for my convenience (so much better when timing coincides with weekend vice workweek!). I noticed after a little lag both were doing some slow bubbling in the carboys, so didn't seem to affect the AF process much--or at least, near as I could tell. All this going on at around 72F temperature-wise.
Posted 20 October 2012 - 07:50 AM
Posted 20 October 2012 - 02:14 PM
Posted 20 October 2012 - 10:41 PM
I assume by "stylistic choice" you mean considerations of tannin, possible green flavors, fruit forwardness, etc., but what advanced techniques are needed for finishing of the ferment post press?
Posted 21 October 2012 - 03:07 AM
Greg I'm sure I left 1 or 2 reasons out to qualify for 'advanced' somewhere.........
Going Through MLF: 2013 Lanza Koch Cabernet Sauvignon 6.5 Gallons;2013 Lanza Suisun Petite Sirah 6.0 Gallons;
2013 Atlas Peak Merlot 6.5 Gallons; 2012 (frozen)Beckstoffer Carneros Lake Merlot 6.5 Gallons; 2013 Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauv 6.5 Gallons
Posted 21 October 2012 - 06:24 AM
so I guess I got a little lucky. Will ignite MLF here forthwith.
thanks for the information.
0 user(s) are reading this topic
0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users