38 replies to this topic

#1 Cibo

Cibo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:15 PM

How many lbs of honey per gallon of wine do I need??

Thanks

#2 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:If it ferments, I'm interested: WINE, yogurt, milk&water kefir, kombucha & vinegar, not big on beer but I do occassionally enjoy it. Collector of ficus carica. Enjoy reading, knitting and would like to learn how to weave.

Posted 09 September 2012 - 06:39 PM

Well cibo...what kind of mead are you looking to make? Just honey, yeast & water, known as "show mead"? Use non-grape fruit too, known as melomel? Or also use herbs or spices? What style do you desire: dry, semi-sweet, sweet? What alcohol content are you looking for?

Typically one gallon of honey will weigh in at around 12 pounds, but that can vary based on how much water is in that particular honey. You still use a hydrometer to measure your S.G. and calculate a desired ACV, etc.
I recently made a one gallon batch of mead, used four pounds per gallon, no additional sugar components (fruit, etc) and had a starting S.G. of 1.105 (had to make sure to use an appropriate yeast to get that honey-rich must started and keep it going, plus appropriate nutrients).

Many options.

I have made several gallons of raspberry mead (MY ALL TIME FAVORITE), plus:
cherry, cherry galengal, cherry vanilla, chocolate orange spice, dandelion, elderberry, elderflower, garden peppermint, hibiscus-rosehip-elderberry, mango peach, pear vanilla, prickly pear cactus, spiced fig and vanilla mead. Most recently fermenting is: chocolate (aka per the male population: "panty remover" or "liquid sex"!!) of which I may enjoy the first bottle in a year or so.

Options, endless.

For a first attempt, many make Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange Spice Mead (aka JMAO or JOAM), you may have seen posts about this already. A nice starter, seriously. And believe it or not it goes against your winemaking grains and tells you to use BREAD YEAST. You almost just have to do it as a right of passage for mead making. Some enjoy it as soon as it is clear, others put it away to age. I was one who put it away to age, approaching 2 years (and I turned mine into chocolate orange spiced mead--YUM).
Here is the link to JMAO: http://www.gotmead.c...=1938&Itemid=14 Plenty of threads on this forum about this particular mead, in the MEAD section.

Regardless of your choice, just remember that mead typically takes EVEN LONGER to finish up that wine....but it is well worth the wait. Do not forget: in winemaking the quality of your fruit is an important factor, where as in meadmaking the quality of your honey is just as important to the outcome of your mead.

Some good reading (and there is a lot, lot more):
Taxonomy/Definitions of various meads: http://www.meadmadec...mead_types.html
Great recipes and some info: http://brewery.org/l...y/beeslees.html
A nice mead resource: http://www.gotmead.com/

Welcome to meadmaking. And let us know what you decide to make!!
~Sara~ Made 71.5 gallons of wine in 2011--my first year in winemaking & I loved every minute of it!!
Amateur Winemakers Of Louisville: http://www.facebook....37454883025144/

#3 Cibo

Cibo

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 698 posts

Posted 10 September 2012 - 05:38 AM

Thanks for you help I wanted to make Joe Mattioli's Ancient Orange Spice Mead but could not rember the name I made it along time ago and it came out great, thanks for the link!

#4 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:If it ferments, I'm interested: WINE, yogurt, milk&water kefir, kombucha & vinegar, not big on beer but I do occassionally enjoy it. Collector of ficus carica. Enjoy reading, knitting and would like to learn how to weave.

Posted 10 September 2012 - 07:36 AM

You are welcome!
~Sara~ Made 71.5 gallons of wine in 2011--my first year in winemaking & I loved every minute of it!!
Amateur Winemakers Of Louisville: http://www.facebook....37454883025144/

#5 purple toes

purple toes

• Members
  • Pip
  • 51 posts

Posted 27 December 2012 - 01:09 PM

Thanks for a great post Saramc! I have 10 lbs of honey from a local beekeeper and was looking to dabble with mead and this gives me a couple great ideas.

Currently cookin' a Mist kit and JAOM

#6 jerzy_s

jerzy_s

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts
  • Interests:Immortality

Posted 27 December 2012 - 04:25 PM

Traditional Polish Mead (not Melomel etc) is divided into 4 main groups:

- Poltorak       (2 parts of honey for 1 part of water)   -   18% finished - very sweet

- Dwojniak      (1 part of honey for 1 part of water)     -   16% finished - sweet

- Trojniak       (1 part of honey for 2 parts of water)   -   15% finished - semi-sweet

- Czworniak    (1 part of honey for 3 parts of water)   -   14% finished - off dry

But as Sara said  - the options for honey use in alcohol making are practically endless, anywhere from being the primary source for fermentation to simply flavoring post-fermentation.

soon, very soon, I will be invincible.......

#7 bohica

bohica

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts
  • Interests:Cooking, Gardening, Technology, Wine Making.

Posted 31 December 2012 - 10:43 PM

I've been making mead and Melomel, my favorite being a 4 berry blend Melomel  it is a major hit, and usually ready in 3-6 months. I use 2.5 lbs of fresh, no filtered honey straight from the bee keeper, it makes a big difference.

Tom

Wine improves with age. The older I get, the better I like it.
~ Anonymous

#8 jerzy_s

jerzy_s

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 01:01 PM

I keep searching for a source of affordable honey.
I keep hearing folks getting it for under a dollar a pound, but all I can find is around $3 and that's over the Internet.
Seems like local honey is even more, and raw honey simply prohibitive price wise.

Is there some secret to it?

#9 PEL

PEL

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1004 posts
  • Interests:Viticulture, wine making

Posted 01 January 2013 - 08:38 PM

I keep searching for a source of affordable honey.
I keep hearing folks getting it for under a dollar a pound, but all I can find is around $3 and that's over the Internet.
Seems like local honey is even more, and raw honey simply prohibitive price wise.

Is there some secret to it?

Well, let's see here.  Assuming you spend $3.00 per pound and you can make about 5 gallons fom 12 pounds of honey, that equates to about $36 for 25 bottles or less than $1.50 per bottle.

What is your problem?  Have you ever done a cost estimate on how much it cost to make wine from grapes?  Me thinks you do not see a good price or value when you see it. :-)  You might consider having your own hives and seeling how much labor is involved and then decide what is a "good or fair" price to pay.  Just my $.02 cents worth

#10 bohica

bohica

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 01 January 2013 - 10:27 PM

Unfortunately, I paid just under $3.00 per lb straight from an apiary, it was my first purchase from them, and I'm sure that in time, I will be able to negotiate a better price.

I haven't seen anything cheaper than $2.75-$3.00 or far more here in NY, but I have found another source in PA, and a friend has been a bee keeper for near 40 years, but he won't have any until the spring, his is the best I've ever tasted, before tasting his honey, I flat out did not like the taste of store bought honey, his has a wonderful floral taste, hard to describe, never really having indulged in honey..

For those that are undecided because of price, the difference is amazing, I cannot wait to taste this batch of a 4 berry blend aka Berry Bliss Melomel, but it is a cost non the less, if you are going to spend the money on honey, get it straight from the source.

Jerzy_s  try contacting these folks:

http://www.itsallaboutbees.com - thhese folks do the Omaha farmers market - they might sell bulk quantities cheap

http://www.valhallabeefarm.com/ in lincon, see if they will sell bulk.

These folks offer bulk rates also http://cooperhoney.com/

~ Anonymous

#11 jerzy_s

jerzy_s

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 472 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 11:51 AM

Well, let's see here.  Assuming you spend $3.00 per pound and you can make about 5 gallons fom 12 pounds of honey, that equates to about $36 for 25 bottles or less than $1.50 per bottle.

What is your problem?  Have you ever done a cost estimate on how much it cost to make wine from grapes?  Me thinks you do not see a good price or value when you see it. :-)  You might consider having your own hives and seeling how much labor is involved and then decide what is a "good or fair" price to pay.  Just my $.02 cents worth

I can make a bit under 3 gallons of Mead from 1 gallon of honey,  and at $3 per pound it is a heavily processed honey.  The raw honey that I could find starts much higher and yields less mead, though no doubt it would be of better quality.

My question however, was more in hopes to find out if there is a trick to finding inexpensive honey and what folks do to get such deals.

No, I'm not looking for a debate on what is a fair price of honey for the labor involved etc, or how it compares to cost of grapes.

Just flat our curious how folks manage to get quality honey for under a dollar where all I'm finding runs at several multiples of that...

BOHICA, the PA source you were raving about - do they have an online presence?  Thanks!

#12 Joe_Sallo

Joe_Sallo

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:03 PM

Try here:  http://www.honeyloca.../find/state/NE/

#13 Joe_Sallo

Joe_Sallo

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1119 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:06 PM

I've never bought from them as a heads up, that is just a good website to find people who are crazy about honey around the country.  I have a blueberry melomel going now.

#14 bohica

bohica

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 12:40 PM

Jerzy_s, the source that I'm using right now , you can find here: www.rightfromthehive.co, great honey, really good product.

Their email is rightfromthehive@yahoo.com  it doesn't hurt to contact them to see what they can do for you. let them know Tom from Poughkeepsie recommended you.

Tom

~ Anonymous

#15 Steve mead

Steve mead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 505 posts

Posted 02 January 2013 - 02:42 PM

All those wholesalers are great, just remember, honey is heavy and costly to ship.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users