11 replies to this topic

#1 Allen B

Allen B

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:33 PM

Going to pick some grapes this weekend, & trying to budget how many pounds to get. They are being sold by the pound, so I am trying to calculate how many pounds I will need to make about 30 gallons. Anyone have a rough number for me?

Thanks,

Allen.
Allen Brown
http:\\www.IndyBlueprints.com
http:\www.UBuildItIndy.com

#2 Allen B

Allen B

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:37 PM

I hate it when I answer my own questions...;)
From Winmakermag.com:

Wine Wizard replies: You'll need about 85 to 90 pounds of fresh grapes (still on their stems) to make five gallons of wine. It will start off at about 2.5 lug boxes of grapes and will end up as about 25 bottles, or two cases, of wine. The final volume of wine you get depends entirely upon how much juice you squeeze out of the grapes, whether you press before fermentation as in a white wine or press after fermentation as in a red wine. The final volume, therefore, will be affected by all things that affect the quantity of juice recovered from those lug boxes. For example if there are many tiny berries per grape cluster, you can assume that there will be a higher percentage of solids/liquid, both in the form of skins and seeds and in the grape stems that house each of those tiny berries. In large, loose clusters where the stem/berry ratio is less and the skin/juice ratio is less, pound for pound you will recover more liquid from those grapes.
Allen Brown

#3 Whackfol

Whackfol

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 395 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 01:38 PM

SWAG: 450 - 500 lbs.

There are a ton of factors so more information would be helpful. For instance: what variety, red or white, how ripe are they, how will you press...etc.

#4 PEL

PEL

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1092 posts
  • Interests:Viticulture, wine making

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:06 PM

Going to pick some grapes this weekend, & trying to budget how many pounds to get. They are being sold by the pound, so I am trying to calculate how many pounds I will need to make about 30 gallons. Anyone have a rough number for me?

Thanks,

Allen.

For reds figure about 13 pounds per gallon. For whites, figure about 15 pounds per gallon. It also depends on variety. Chambourcin, for example, contains a high juice to pulp ration while Cabernet Sauvignon is thicker skin and less juice.

#5 camden

camden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:21 PM

I've used 10 lbs/gallon of must, then to get finished wine use 60% of the must volume for small berries (cab, merlot, pinot, etc.), and 70% for large berries (zin, grenache, syrah). I use a bladder press. These numbers get me close, but there is still variation of 3-5%. Some of the variation I think is is simply seasonal, such as a rain just before harvest. But I also think some of it is because the grapes in a 36lb lug don't always weigh 36lbs.

#6 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Home Theater, RC Planes, Ham Radio, Solar Electric

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:37 PM

500 pounds should give you 30 gals plus a few gallons for topping.

#7 moundtop

moundtop

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 410 posts
  • Interests:Cold climate grape winemaking; wine analysis techniques

Posted 16 August 2012 - 02:40 PM

500 lbs is my estimate as well.
Frank from Vermillion, South Dakota

#8 Allen B

Allen B

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 August 2012 - 03:19 PM

Thanks guys,

I am looking at Chambourcin & Norton.
Allen Brown

#9 Knucklehead

Knucklehead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 592 posts
  • Interests:Family, Wine, Raiders, Croquet...

Posted 16 August 2012 - 04:13 PM

I would shoot for a bit over 500 lbs. I like to process using 60 gallon barrels. When I have purchased 1,000 lbs for the 60 gallons, I seem to run out of topping wine. I get enough for about a year, then I am forced to bottle or find more topping wine. This year I am buying 1,200 lbs per varietal. Probably overkill, but 1,000 lbs isn't quite enough for me. My recommendation would be 550-600lbs if you want to age it more than one year. Or perhaps I am sampling too much!

Bill
2012 Petite Sirah(Sonoma), Syrah (Bottled) and Zinfandel (Amador) are bottled
2013 Pinot Noir (Sonoma), Zinfandel (Amador) and Syrah (Sonoma) are in the barrels...

2014 our Syrah/Grenach blend (Sonoma), Pinot Noir (Sonoma), and Merlot (Napa) are all in the barrel (every year seems to get better!)

#10 put148

put148

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 17 August 2012 - 04:14 AM

Norton has a very little juice in its berries so if you got even amounts of Chambourcin and Norton you will end up with more Chambourcin. I think typically the Norton will yeild about 30% less juice than other varieties

#11 Jim K

Jim K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:growing wine grapes, making wine and brewing 1bbl batches of beer, 2 kids, dog and wife..... and a fish.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:20 PM

i was able to press off 53 gallons of wine from 625 lbs of Chambourcin last fall
the previous year I pressed off 44 gallons from 625 lbs of norton.
This was after racking off gross lees
fyi

#12 Jim K

Jim K

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 169 posts
  • Interests:growing wine grapes, making wine and brewing 1bbl batches of beer, 2 kids, dog and wife..... and a fish.

Posted 17 August 2012 - 09:26 PM

what kind of numbers are you getting off norton and chambourcin. I would think it would be very early to be picking these varieties.
we generaly pick norton first or second week of Oct and mid september for chambourcin.(Missouri)
of course, this has been an odd growing season.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users