• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 WineMan2008

WineMan2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Making quality wine, Cooking, Hiking, Classic Cars, Making memories with my family and friends.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 03:45 PM

Hi,

Does anyone have any suggestions for the proper construction for a Dolly to keep my vats movable as well as off the concrete garage floor. Last year we had them on pallets, which worked great, but I need flexibility. This way I can Crush and Destem outside, and make the mess outside as well, and then roll the vats into the garage. I wish they made plastic dollies like they do for the Brutes. I use primarily 375 L vats or as I call them 18 case vats,

Steve

#2 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6964 posts
  • Interests:Turning can't into done.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:06 PM

Harbor Freight frequently has moving dollies for sale for around $8. You can't even buy casters for that price. Take off the carpeted cross pieces and put a piece of plywood on it and you'll be moving stuff around easily.

Steve, Garagiste

Manufacturer of IntelliTanks at
www.Catalyst-Manufacturing.com

Author of The Homebuilt Winery @ www.HomebuiltWinery.com

#3 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16281 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:32 PM

Hammered is right. I've bought the same hardwood dollies at hardware stores for about $15, not on sale. The wheels alone would be more. If it's not big enough you can replace the wood with longer pieces.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#4 Hummer

Hummer

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 408 posts
  • Interests:Fruit grower, field ornithologist & master bird bander with a passionate interest in wine.

Posted 13 August 2012 - 04:47 PM

Harbor Freight frequently has moving dollies for sale for around $8. You can't even buy casters for that price. Take off the carpeted cross pieces and put a piece of plywood on it and you'll be moving stuff around easily.

Good suggestion. If you need beefier casters than those on the moving dollies, HF also sells heavy locking casters on sale at good prices fairly often. I have two dollies for my 35 and 65 gallon tanks with the casters simply bolted through 3/4 inch plywood sheets sized for the tanks. The spacing between the casters also allows me to pick up and move the dolly and tank with a forklift, forks on the tractor, or a pallat jack.

Depending on the size of your vats, you might want to couple an angle iron frame with a plywood platform.

Right now I'm looking at building a triangular dollie for a 3-legged bladder press. I'll probably make it with 3 or 4 inch angle iron and weld locking casters to the bottom.
Steve

#5 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Home Theater, RC Planes, Ham Radio, Solar Electric

Posted 13 August 2012 - 05:58 PM

375 liters is big and you really want better casters than those 2 or 2.5 inch casters on the Harbor Freight dollies. I have looked at them and they are small. All of my barrels are on single furniture dollies and I built plywood dollies with two pieces of 3/4 inch plywood glued and screwed together for my Flextanks and they have 4 inch wheels on them. Make sure the swivel bearings are good. I found high quality casters at the local surplus electronics store for about $5 each. you are talking about 800+ pounds so don't go small on the casters.

#6 Powelln

Powelln

New England Cellar Rat

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1192 posts
  • Interests:Wine & Winemaking (no, really!), Camping, Kayaking, Running,

Posted 14 August 2012 - 06:25 PM

I agree with Doyle on the need for heavier casters. I picked up 4 dollies from a MYO-wine store in NY that was going out of business. A painted plywood circle ~29" in diameter and mounted with 6 heavy duty 4" swivel castors with 250 lb weight capacity (purchased at Home Depot or Lowes) around the circumference. Casters were attached like Hummer did (bolted through the plywood). The dollies work great and can easily handle both the 375L vats & an 80-gal SS tank.

A word of caution is to pay attention to cleaning the dollies & casters after use. The ones I got were down-right filthy from years of nothing more than power-washing. Ended up trashing 2 of them due to the level of filth and am in the process of remaking them using casters designed for the food service industry that can handle the washing.

CEO & Winemaker of Aaronap Cellars

#7 WineMan2008

WineMan2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Making quality wine, Cooking, Hiking, Classic Cars, Making memories with my family and friends.

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:03 PM

I agree with Doyle on the need for heavier casters. I picked up 4 dollies from a MYO-wine store in NY that was going out of business. A painted plywood circle ~29" in diameter and mounted with 6 heavy duty 4" swivel castors with 250 lb weight capacity (purchased at Home Depot or Lowes) around the circumference. Casters were attached like Hummer did (bolted through the plywood). The dollies work great and can easily handle both the 375L vats & an 80-gal SS tank.

A word of caution is to pay attention to cleaning the dollies & casters after use. The ones I got were down-right filthy from years of nothing more than power-washing. Ended up trashing 2 of them due to the level of filth and am in the process of remaking them using casters designed for the food service industry that can handle the washing.

All this information has been very helpful indeed. I will get started next week. I thought of doubling up the 3/4 inch plywood. I might go to 1" ply instead.

#8 Crazy Run Ranch

Crazy Run Ranch

_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4246 posts

Posted 14 August 2012 - 07:09 PM

Depending on space and quantity of wine, you might want to consider a pallet jack then palletizing everything. Its nice to be able to reconfigure your work space as needed. I paid $200 for mine in 2003, money well spent.

#9 WineMan2008

WineMan2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts

Posted 15 August 2012 - 01:35 PM

Depending on space and quantity of wine, you might want to consider a pallet jack then palletizing everything. Its nice to be able to reconfigure your work space as needed. I paid $200 for mine in 2003, money well spent.

Not enough room to store a pallet jack. I think if I make the dollies 32 in round I will be business.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users