• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 RedneckWino

RedneckWino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:45 AM

I have made about 20 batches of kit wines. I'd like to try to make wine from Welch's frozen concentrate. Google search yields about a zillion results, but I can't find one that includes both a recipe and step by step, detailed instructions, including how much of which chemicals to add at which stage. I have only the equipment necessary to make kit wines, but I'm willing to buy additional equipment and test kits, within reason. I know I can't make a gold medal wine from frozen concentrate, but I'd like to take the time and care necessary to make the best wine I can. Does anyone have suggestions, or a link to some detailed instructions? Thanks!

#2 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15299 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:07 AM

Get your s.g. to around 1.095 by adding water, probably about the recommended amount on the can, but use your hydrometer.

Then I'd add, per 5 gallons:
5 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
3 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
If you're taking it from frozen concentrate to wine base right away you don't need K-Meta (Campden Tablets)
Wine Yeast of choice. Lalvin 1118 or 1116 are sure fire yeasts.

Pick up a copy of Enjoy Home Winemaking by Frishman. $3 on line or in supply stores. It'll give you a good general knowledge of the process plus recipes that can be adapted to anything.

You're right, you will probably never win a ribbon with a Concord Wine but it's still a pretty pleasant drink. I like it in a Huricane glass over ice on a hot Summer day! smileytoast.gif smileytoast.gif
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#3 RedneckWino

RedneckWino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:12 AM

Thank you! I'll get the book with my next order (I don't have a wine making supply store anywhere near.) I have on hand yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, acid blend, K-meta (powder form), and a combo pack of kieselsol/chitosan. I plan to order PH strips, Lalvin 1116 and corks. Is there anything else you'd suggest with this order, such as K-sorbate, bentonite, K-bicarb, etc? I plan to sweeten part of this batch before bottling.

#4 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15299 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:38 AM

Fining agents are a personal choice. Time will do the same thing, but if you want it ready to drink in a few months they'll help.
PH strips aren't accurate enough for winemaking, so save your money. Do get a pH meter when you can. It's nearly a necessity, though I made wine 10 years without one. The nice thing about a pH meter is you can also use it to get an accurate Total Acidity measurement and those two things are huge in making better wine. Kits, of course, should hopefully have those things figured out before it goes in the box or can.
K-Sorbate is only necessary if you plan to sweeten the wine. If so, get some.
You shouldn't need to adjust the acidity with Welches, it's pretty well balanced to the consumers taste at the processing plant. You can also adjust acidity to your taste, by tasting. I don't think I'll ever use acid blend again on a grape wine because it adds malic acid as part of the blend, which can be harsh and can go into MLF in the bottle unless you go through the process of adding malo-lactic bacteria and go through the process of converting the malic acid which can take months.
Hope this helps! Have fun with it!

#5 Lindsey S

Lindsey S

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 311 posts
  • Interests:Horses, horse racing, winemaking, nature.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 10:49 AM

The neat thing about the frozen concentrates is there are so many different kinds, and it's reasonably cheap to make! I just made a cranberry, apple, grape combo that already smells nice. I think I want to start an apple concentrate with some red raspberries thrown in, inspired by a wine I tried at a recent wine festival. Some take the Niagara concentrate and mix it with lime-ade, which I've heard is quite good. So many options, so few carboys! ;)

#6 sal

sal

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 329 posts
  • Interests:Winemaker for 25 years.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 11:06 AM

go to jack keller's winemaking site for various concord and other concentrate recipes
Sal

#7 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:If it ferments, I'm interested: WINE, yogurt, milk&water kefir, kombucha & vinegar, not big on beer but I do occassionally enjoy it. Collector of ficus carica. Enjoy reading, knitting and would like to learn how to weave.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:07 PM

This is WineThief's recipe and is found in the WinePress recipe book (PDF download):
Frozen Welchs Grape Juice Concentrates make a very nice table or social wine, and are very easy to make. Some of the welchs brands are: Concord 100% Grape Juice, White Niagara 100% Grape Juice, 100% White Grape Cranberry Juice, 100% White Grape Peach Juice, 100% White Grape Pear Juice, 100% White Grape Raspberry Juice (if you make the Raspberry use ONLY 2 cans per gallon otherwise it can be very tart.. For raspberry, keep the starting SG to 1.080 & use 1 tsp of acid blend with the raspberry). Old Orchard also has lots of different flavors of 100% juice that work just as well. They usually mix their flavors with apple juice instead of white grape, like their Apple/Cherry, Passion/Mango, Kiwi/Strawberry and other 100% juice concentrates. [just get in the habit of reading the labels and checking to see that it is 100% JUICE and not a cocktail]

This recipe makes one gallon, and you can multiply to make more. WineThief uses 3 cans per gallon for a heavier bodied wine, but notes you can use 2 cans/gallon to make a medium bodied wine--though you will need to increase the starting sugar to about 1 lb per gallon if you use 2 cans/gallon. The beginning sugar addition to the 3 can recipe only starts at 1/2lb/gallon due to the different levels of starting sugar already in the different juices. Once the must is mixed up check SG and add enough sugar syrup to bring SG to between 1.080 to 1.090

Recipe for Welch's Frozen 100% Grape Juice Wine
3 11.5 oz cans Welchs or Old Orchard 100% frozen juice concentrate (only 2 cans for raspberry)
1/2 lbs granulated sugar to start then test SG and adjust to 1.080 to 1.090
2 tsp acid blend (or if possible test and add acid blend to TA .60)
1 tsp pectic enzyme
1 tsp yeast nutrient
1/2-tsp bentonite
water to make 1 gallon wine yeast - (Red Star Premier Cuvee or Champagne)

1. Add 4 cups hot water to bottom of sanitized primary. Stir in bentonite until dissolved.
2. Open and stir in all the cans of Welch's Juice to primary. rinse cans with a small amount of warm water and add to primary.
3. Bring 1 quart water to boil and dissolve the sugar in the water. Remove from heat and stir into primary with the frozen concentrate.
4. Add additional cool water to make one gallon. (If you are adding oak chips add them now approx 1/2 oz per gallon toasted oak.)
5 . Check and Adjust sugar if necessary to an SG of 1.085 to 1.090.
6. Add the acid blend, or if possible test acid and adjust to .60 TA
7. When cooled to room temp, (70-75F) add pectic enzyme and nutrient.
8. 12 hours later add Yeast.
9. When SG drops to 1.010 rack to clean sanitized carboy.
10. Allow to finish fermentation in the carboy for 10 days to 2 weeks until the SG is stable at around .990-.995. Make sure all fermentation is finished.

For Natural Clearing From here it is up to you you can follow the natural clearing process by racking the wine off the gross lees to a clean sanitized carboy. Stabilize by Stirring 1 campden tablet per gallon and 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate per gallon into 1/4 cup of cool water and add to the carboy that the wine is being racked into. After racking wine, stir the wine vigorously for 3-4 minutes to help degass the wine, wait 5 minutes and stir again for another 2 minutes. then top up and rack every 30-60 days (You don't usually need to add any further campdens or potassium metabisulphite to this wine because welchs does come with SO2 added and is usually sufficient to protect the wine for many years... I only add it at the stabilizing stage) After 6 months if wine is clear, taste to determine if you want or need to sweeten.. If sweetening is desired add sugar syrup to sweeten to taste and allow to sit another 30-60 days then rack off sediment or filter the wine into a clean sanitized carboy.. Let sit for another 30 to 60 days and if completely clear you can bottle. This process takes 7-10 months give or take.

Or For quicker bottling and consumption this juice will respond well if you treat just like a winekitDo not rack at this time leave sediment. Stabilize by stirring 1 campden tablet per gallon and 1/2 tsp Potassium Sorbate per gallon into 1/4 cup of cool water and add to the carboy of wine. Stir the wine vigorously for 3-4 minutes to help degass the wine. Then add the recommended amount of Super Kleer or Sparkloid (follow the instructions that come with the package) and stir again vigorously for another 2-3 minutes to degass and drive off the CO2. (You don't usually need to add any further campdens or potassium metabisulphite to this wine because welchs does come with SO2 added and is usually sufficient to protect the wine for many years... I only add it at the stabilizing stage) Then top up and allow to clear for 2 weeks.. When clear rack to a clean carboy and let stand for 30 days.. After 30 days taste to determine if you want or need to sweeten.. If sweetening is desired add sugar syrup to taste and allow to sit another 30 days. When the second 30 days is past either rack or filter the wine into a clean sanitized carboy.. Let sit for 2 weeks and bottle.. This faster method will put the wine in the bottle in 90 days..
~Sara~ Made 71.5 gallons of wine in 2011--my first year in winemaking & I loved every minute of it!!
Amateur Winemakers Of Louisville: http://www.facebook....37454883025144/

#8 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:If it ferments, I'm interested: WINE, yogurt, milk&water kefir, kombucha & vinegar, not big on beer but I do occassionally enjoy it. Collector of ficus carica. Enjoy reading, knitting and would like to learn how to weave.

Posted 18 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

Thank you! I'll get the book with my next order (I don't have a wine making supply store anywhere near.) I have on hand yeast nutrient, pectic enzyme, acid blend, K-meta (powder form), and a combo pack of kieselsol/chitosan. I plan to order PH strips, Lalvin 1116 and corks. Is there anything else you'd suggest with this order, such as K-sorbate, bentonite, K-bicarb, etc? I plan to sweeten part of this batch before bottling.

Consider an acid test kit, yeast energizer & an assortment of yeasts: EC-1118--a sturdy workhorse yeast, D47, KV-1116 (noted), etc. You will want to stock calcium carbonate, potassium bicarbonate, potassium sorbate (especially if you will have backsweetened wines). And an extra container of powdered k-meta (if like me I use it in a mist bottle for "sanitizing sprayer", use it for soaking, etc). If you are considering fining: bentonite is much recommended, many people like Sparkalloid. Some people are allergic to chitosan (I know a few). I also keep tartaric acid, citric acid, and malic acid in my supply cabinet, ALONG WITH A BACKUP hydrometer (you WILL break one eventually, at a critical moment), What about oak spiral or chips? Do you have an assortment of drilled stoppers to fit wine bottles, 1 gallon jugs, 3-5-6 gallon carboys (glass vs. Better Bottle)? Don't forget bottle brush, carboy brush, racking cane, tubing--unless you have all that?? Straining bag(s) vs a double layer of new and sanitized panty hose??

Welcome to the wonderful world of winemaking!!
~Sara~ Made 71.5 gallons of wine in 2011--my first year in winemaking & I loved every minute of it!!

#9 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15299 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 18 June 2012 - 08:37 PM

Geeze! Why don't you overwhelm the guy! lmao.gif

#10 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts

Posted 18 June 2012 - 09:34 PM

:huh: See, I am flashing back to my years as a Cub Scout Den Leader: ALWAYS BE PREPARED.

I only WISH I had made a list of all the "basic" and "additional niceties" when I first got started. Not saying RedneckWino has to get them all. But then again, if I am going to do something I want to do it right & have access the things I need to get the job done (and be ready to fix the problems when they pop up). Since he has to rely upon mail-order to get these items--and if you consider fees for S/H (unless it is FREE) it will likely be more beneficial to procure the essentials from the start. Ahem, depending upon your source--they may actually have a "kit" of some sort available.

You can always add more carboys, a barrel, a vacuum racking/filtering/bottling system down the road. smileytoast.gif

I look forward to the day, Wade, where we can sit down an enjoy a glass or two (What am I saying? bottle) together! wave.gif

#11 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15299 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:42 AM

You know I was making a joke! :)
It's great to be prepared for anything and forewarned too. If someone had laid out what I'd spend on winemaking when I started in '93 though I may have talked myself out of starting! If they told me some day I'd reach 140 to 160 gallons a year without being able to sell it I'd have said they were crazy. Now when they say I'm crazy I just say "It keeps!"
Maybe we can all get together at the next TWINE meeting, whenever that happens. Winesupplyfetcher looks forward to meeting you too.

#12 WineUtopia

WineUtopia

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts

Posted 19 June 2012 - 04:31 PM

Geeze! Why don't you overwhelm the guy! lmao.gif

Ha ha ha

Here's Jack Kellers website:
http://winemaking.ja...net/request.asp

#13 feffer

feffer

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:In secondary:
    2013 plum wine
    Merlot kit
    Next up:
    Viognier kit

Posted 21 June 2012 - 03:18 PM

Hope this isn't out of bounds, but there is a regular poster on another brewing/wine forum that has a Welch's recipe with a long thread of responses. This recipe is very similar to Wade's advice. I've tried it exactly and also with variations. Here's my take. The Welch's Concord grape makes an OK table wine, but it tastes a bit "grape-juicy." I tried adding a bit of brandy to "Port fortify" it and that helped, at least to my taste.

Other variations, like White-Grape & Raspberry, White-Grape & Peach aren't bad, but may need a bit of back-sweetening. I did that with the WG-Raspberry and it was pretty good just "off-dry." I'm doing a straight Welch's White (Niagara) Grape now. I reconstituted the juice as per instructions on the label, or about 14 cans for 5gals. This will take you higher than 1.095, but allows you to add water to top up during racking. As Wade said, you don't have to add k-meta at the start since the juice is sterilized and pasteurized before its frozen. You can ferment this directly in a carboy -- see the recipe link above on how to do this.

When I first tried this, I made 3 different recipes each in a gallon jug. I wanted to settle on something we liked before making 5 gallons.

#14 RedneckWino

RedneckWino

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts

Posted 06 July 2012 - 09:34 AM

Wow! All great stuff! For some reason, I stopped getting emails when someone replied to the topic. What a nice surprise to see all the dialog! So, north of Louisville, south of Nashville, huh? Russellville (me) is about half way. I think I smell "meet and greet" (and drink) potential! Maybe we could work on that.

I'm not overwhelmed - just grateful. I have four carboys, two fermenters, two hydrometers - you get the idea - I'm hooked! I've done several kits, so I have all the basics. I'm about ready to launch that batch of Welch's, which will be my first non-kit wine. I'm gathering the gear to be able to do a proper acid test. For pH, I only have test strips. Eventually I'll add a pH tester. I'm also stocking up on the stuff that comes in the wine kits - bentonite, tannin, fining agents, etc, etc.

I'm also going to make my own NaOH solution as I need it so I'm getting a few chemistry supplies along the way.

And I have two kits clearing in carboys and two more ready to start, and I just ordered a beaujolais kit. I hope my wife doesn't leave me.

#15 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15299 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 06 July 2012 - 10:12 AM

I'd bet an email to welches could get you the pH numbers they generally set their juice at. The test strips don't narrow it down enough for winemaking.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users