Mango - Steam Juicer

• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 tgoose55

tgoose55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, Fishing, Football, and Wine Making.

Posted 19 April 2012 - 08:57 PM

Last year I made a batch of Mango wine and it turned out excellent. So I decided to buy Mango's from the grocery store when they hit the reduced rack. So far I have 50 mangos in the freezer with a bunch to go. Last year my wife purchased me a steam juicer.

Does anyone have any experience with running mangos in a steam juicer? Does it work out or are they too mush/stringy to run in a steam juicer?

Finally when people use a steam juicer do you totally defrost your fruit before placing in the juicer or can you put fruit in frozen?

Thanks,
Rob
Fermenting: Pomegranate
Bottled: Cranberry Apple, Spiced Apple, Apple, Peach, Pear, Mango, Blueberry 2011, Strawberry, Raspberry Melomel, Cranberry, Pomegranate Zin, Riesling, Blueberry, Peach, Stawberry, White Zin

#2 Kemo

Kemo

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 110 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 06:05 PM

haha im lookin for the same answer myself

#3 tgoose55

tgoose55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 26 April 2012 - 07:34 PM

I am filling the freezer with Mangos. I might run a small batch as a trial and error run. I will post here unless someone else can answer my question.
Bottled: Cranberry Apple, Spiced Apple, Apple, Peach, Pear, Mango, Blueberry 2011, Strawberry, Raspberry Melomel, Cranberry, Pomegranate Zin, Riesling, Blueberry, Peach, Stawberry, White Zin

#4 tgoose55

tgoose55

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 184 posts

Posted 07 May 2012 - 07:26 AM

Saturday I decided to try steam juicing my mangos:
  • Estimated 35 lbs of mangos (7 qty 1 gallon bags each weighing about 5 lbs).
  • Mangos were skinned
  • All mangos were placed in the freezer after skinning.
  • Used both Ataulfo and Red Mangos from the local grocery stores reduced produce rack
Process
  • Do not fill up steaming kettle with mangos. I believe when the mangos begin to steam down they lose their form. This begins to fill the steaming holes with mango pulp, preventing the steam from making its way into the steaming pot.
  • I used about 5 lbs of mango per steaming session
  • Each steaming session was 1 1/2 hours long

Results of steam juicing:
  • The ataulfo mangos really kept their form
  • The red mangos turned to mush, similar to pears without their skins.
  • Ended up with 3.5 gallons of extracted juice to make a 6 gallon batch of wine.
Rob

#5 Luc Volders

Luc Volders

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 953 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking bookbinding reading scubadiving Photography bycicle-riding cheesemaking

Posted 07 May 2012 - 10:58 PM

Rob,

Steaming dillutes the juice that runs free from the process. So why dillute it even further. You will dillute flavor, sugar content etc etc.
I would go with the 3.5 gallon and make a 3.5 gallon batch. Would have more flavor and body.

I just started a mango wine and did pulp-fermenting to extract maximum flavor.

Luc
Luc's wijnmaker web-log
or have a look at my girlfriends art:
The art of Els Mulder

#6 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5398 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 08 May 2012 - 02:17 AM

Id avoid heat all togther, tropical fruits cant really handle it without flavor\aroma alternations.
My advice may or may not be backed by actually personal expirience and should be treated as such. :)

#7 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:If it ferments, I'm interested: WINE, yogurt, milk&water kefir, kombucha & vinegar, not big on beer but I do occassionally enjoy it. Collector of ficus carica. Enjoy reading, knitting and would like to learn how to weave.

Posted 25 June 2012 - 05:23 PM

Rob....would you share the mango wine recipe that you like so much?

Thanks! Sara
~Sara~ Made 71.5 gallons of wine in 2011--my first year in winemaking & I loved every minute of it!!
Amateur Winemakers Of Louisville: http://www.facebook....37454883025144/

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users