#16 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6934 posts
  • Interests:Turning can't into done.

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:18 PM

Something I'd really like in regards to my sink would be to have a double fiberglass laundry tub (if money were no object, then stainless, of course) that is about 42" wide. Instead of a sink mounted faucet, I'd install a wall mounted faucet about 42" above the floor. The faucet would have hose threads and I'd have several lengths of reinforced tubing fit with quick connect fittings. Then I'd typically use a multi-spray nozzle attached to the hoses so there would be lots of options for running the water in various manners. I would also make a removable drainboard that I could either slide from one side to the other or just remove it.

Steve, Garagiste

Manufacturer of IntelliTanks at
www.Catalyst-Manufacturing.com

Author of The Homebuilt Winery 

#17 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6934 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 01:27 PM

Also, Ed (Woods Wine) has a great video on his blog of his newly constructed winery that is worth a look. Very well thought out and constructed:

http://woodswine7.blogspot.com/2011/07/woods-wine-winery-update-7-2-2011.html

Steve, Garagiste

#18 mokadir

mokadir

Cellar Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 22 January 2012 - 07:32 PM

I have recently checked out his website and video to check out his sink and plumbing. Thanks. I'm still waiting on 2 replies for stainless tubs, but wouldn't hesitate to get the plastic ones if I can't source one in the next few weeks.

I had some conversations with some people in the business and think that I will go ahead with framing out the walls and drywalling the ceiling. In the wine cellar part I think that I am going with some wood beam look with stucco for the cave walls. I will go ahead and drywall the wine making area. It will mean losing 8 inches or so off of the overall dimensions, but the room is big enough to handle it. I'll insulate the top 2 feet of the wall on the 3 new walls. I suppose I will insulate the full wall which is in common with the existing basement (block construction) since I will be framing it out now anyway. I'll take hammered ideas about the venting of the exterior wall cavities located below the insulation.
Bob
2014: Red Hills Cab, Yakima Merlot, Muscato d'Asti style, Inlaws Bordeaux blend
2013 awaiting Barrel: Yakima Syrah, Gren/PS for Rhone blending
BARRELING: friends CV OV Zin 13, Inlaws Bordeaux Blend 13, Yakima Sangiovese 13
Awaiting bottle: Lake County Montepulciano 12, Yakima Pinot Noir 12

#19 mokadir

mokadir

Cellar Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:30 PM

Well, an update. With some help, I have started the construction. The walls are framed and most of the rough electric and plumbing is done. I have figured out most of the lighting and receptacle placement and have a good idea of the tile for the floor and the door to the cellar. My posted plans changed somewhat due to a new development - a craigslist find.

I have been researching and looking for a sink periodically for months and found an ad a few weeks old for a sink that was poorly described and without a picture and very inexpensive compared to all the others listed. I didn't think much of it, but eventually was able to get in touch with the seller. The nicest man who had it in his yard for a few months and thought it was time to get rid of it. I stopped by his house to see it and knew that it was THE sink that I was looking for. He realized the potential value, but mainly wanted it off his property. Less than 3 digits is what he wanted for it. I didn't bother haggling. With the legs off, we made it down the steps to the basement without cutting a hole anywhere. There are 2 2 foot sinks each with a 2 foot sloped counter. I am replacing the 2 old faucets with a new one in the middle. I will also place a separate cold and hot hose bib type faucet in the two remaining outside holes.

The first picture is looking into the wine cellar portion. The second is looking into the winemaking area with the sink.

Attached Files

Bob

#20 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6934 posts

Posted 05 February 2012 - 09:44 PM

Excuse me as I wipe the drool off my lip. SCORE!

Steve, Garagiste

#21 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16108 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 06 February 2012 - 05:46 AM

Yes! What a nice SCORE that is! You couldn't ask for a better sink than that!
One note: You're in it right, so don't scrimp on the faucets. Go commercial and dream big, get the perfect set-up. You can buy an outrageous combo of faucets that reach everywhere and do everything for $300 or so. You'll still be in the whole works for less than the sink alone is worth! smileytoast.gif smileytoast.gif
If you really want to go first class, add drains that have shut-offs so no plugs ever needed. You can build one out of pvc, but a commercial one would be much easier to operate. Ask at a restaurant supply place, which also happens to be the best place to look for faucets, not a hardware store.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#22 Truman

Truman

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 475 posts
  • Interests:making wine, fishing, sporting events, my grandchildren

Posted 06 February 2012 - 06:57 AM

What Hammered said!
Truman "maker of mountain wine"

#23 Green Zeus

Green Zeus

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:44 AM

When we created out winery, we had a similar situation with a kitchen remodel. We used the old cabinets,bases and bought ready-made countertops. We bought a 2 sink laundry tub and put in a pull-out spout faucet. The pull out faucet really works great for cleaning out vats. We 're still going to put in some 120V under-cabinet lights in the area where we do PH testing, bottling,etc. for even more light.

The basement walls are painted gloss white for easy cleaning and to make the space even brighter. The floor is just concrete but it's sealed and cleaning it is real easy.

Like you, we don't like to spend too much money on something like this. We'd rather build or scarf around for used cabinerty,etc. Our space is a real nice place to ferment and bottle--easy to clean and well-lit. I think those are important factors.

#24 Green Zeus

Green Zeus

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1883 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:47 AM

OH MAN----what a sink. You are one lucky dog to have THAT!!!!

#25 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6934 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 09:53 AM

Along the lines that Wade was going, I'd recommend a wall mounted faucet set about 45" above the floor. Then make various lengths of 5/8" flexible hoses with quick connect ends to mount to the faucet. On the other end of the hoses, you could attach any number of nozzles or sprayers that would give you a lot of versatility while at the same time keeping the faucet out of the way of moving larger containers in and out.

Also, consider applying a sheet of FRP (fiber reinforced plastic) to the wall behind the sink to make cleaning up easier.

Steve, Garagiste

#26 Crazy Run Ranch

Crazy Run Ranch

_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4206 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:14 PM

This thread has some great ideas. Been thinking about reworking my sink area and I really like Wade's valved drain idea and Hammered's quick connects on a separate faucet. Now just need to find a similar deal on a commercial sink.

#27 mokadir

mokadir

Cellar Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 01:29 PM

Yes! What a nice SCORE that is! You couldn't ask for a better sink than that&#
If you really want to go first class, add drains that have shut-offs so no plugs ever needed. You can build one out of pvc, but a commercial one would be much easier to operate. Ask at a restaurant supply place, which also happens to be the best place to look for faucets, not a hardware store.

I'm not positive what you mean, but I think that it already has them on each side. If you look carefully at the picture above, under each basin is a little rod that operates a stopper of sorts that moves up and down to drain the sink. I am replacing them so I don't need to after I find out that they don't work well after it is all plumbed. I think they are something like this

http://www.foodservi...-304/p2364.aspx
Bob

#28 mokadir

mokadir

Cellar Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:21 PM

Excuse me as I wipe the drool off my lip. SCORE!

That's the way I felt when I saw it! I texted my wife when I got it that if I posted the picture it might make me the envy of many an online home wino.
Bob

#29 mokadir

mokadir

Cellar Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3073 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 03:37 PM

One note: You're in it right, so don't scrimp on the faucets. Go commercial and dream big, get the perfect set-up. You can buy an outrageous combo of faucets that reach everywhere and do everything for $300 or so. You'll still be in the whole works for less than the sink alone is worth! smileytoast.gif smileytoast.gif

So, looking at some examples (Woods Wine, etc.) and listening to my experts (hammered, among others) I was considering a nice commercial back mounted swivel gooseneck faucet that gives me a few more inches of height and maybe 12" extension into each sink. In addition, I was going to go for a higher wall mounted individual hot and cold water supplies (hose bib type)above the sink. This would be inset using one of those wall boxes that often are behind a washing machine and have separate controls. That combo should give me all kinds of flexibility.

Maybe something like.
http://www.foodservi...04/p524111.aspx

If you have any other specific suggestions, I am all ears. Like one of those prewash things, are those preferable?
http://www.foodservi...108w/p2340.aspx

Bob

#30 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6934 posts

Posted 06 February 2012 - 04:15 PM

I recently saw some sink mounted faucets on Overstock.com that may be worth checking out.

Steve, Garagiste

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users