25 replies to this topic

#16 ca443

ca443

• Members
  • Pip
  • 26 posts
  • Interests:Geocaching, Computers, Wine Making, DIY Projects

Posted 10 March 2012 - 10:31 PM

I have seen the pallet racks, but most stores in my area do not give away pallets. I talked to HomeDepot which I am a huge fan of, and frequent multiple times a week, and if I speak with the manager, I may be able to get broken pallets.

#17 GEM

GEM

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 493 posts
  • Interests:growing grapes & wine making, golf, gardening, life

Posted 11 March 2012 - 08:50 AM

Great idea on the "Skid Row Wine Rack." I just happen to have a bunch of them stacked out in the yard from some projects I did. I am going to make a wine rack out of those that are 2 way pallets. Thanks for the idea and info. Gary
Gary Means

#18 jerzy_s

jerzy_s

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Immortality

Posted 11 March 2012 - 10:45 PM

Anyone ever tried stainless steel or galvanized welded wire mesh? (the kind they use for concrete reinforcement or certain type of fencing)
They come in a variety of opening sizes.
I think stainless steel could actually look cool especially if cut diagonally, though I doubt it would be cheap.
soon, very soon, I will be invincible.......

#19 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16388 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 12 March 2012 - 04:48 AM

There have been a few threads on here about using 4"x4" mesh livestock panels. I believe they're lot dip galvanized and not prone to rusting. A 4'(?) x 16' panel is $32 usually at Tractor Supply, but I've found them on sale there for $16, bought 10 at the time. There have been pictures on here of some very nice wine racks made from these.

Concrete reinforcing is very prone to rusting, in fact it's usually solid rust when you buy it.

Stainless, if you could even find it, would be cost prohibitive. Just guessing, but probably well over $100 for a 4' x 16' panel.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#20 jerzy_s

jerzy_s

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 477 posts
  • Interests:Immortality

Posted 13 March 2012 - 04:25 PM

Concrete reinforcing is very prone to rusting, in fact it's usually solid rust when you buy it.

I was thinking galvanized - which is used in reinforcing as well. I agree the regular (not galvanized or painted) is useless , even for concrete reinforcing.
soon, very soon, I will be invincible.......

#21 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16388 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 13 March 2012 - 09:11 PM

I did masonry for 13 years and never saw galvanized or anything but the rusty steel used. But that's been a while ago. Maybe they use stainless or galvanized now, especially on government projects, smileytoast.gif That's Blackberry... I say Blackberry speakin'!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#22 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6990 posts
  • Interests:Turning can't into done.

Posted 13 March 2012 - 10:55 PM

You'll see lots of road projects that use a coated rebar, but I don't think they are galvanized. In over 40 years in construction, I've never seen galvanized rebar unless it is specifically sent to a galvanizer for a particular architectural feature (like a deck railing.) Once inside the concrete, it is pretty well isolated from O2 and liquid water and doesn't rust.

For a wine cellar, galvanizing the metal would not be necessary because there just isn't enough moisture in the air to start rusting. So have at it. Order 4x4 10-10 WWM.

Steve, Garagiste

Manufacturer of IntelliTanks at
www.Catalyst-Manufacturing.com

Author of The Homebuilt Winery @ www.HomebuiltWinery.com

#23 Lina_Motyka

Lina_Motyka

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 446 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 06:54 AM

I did masonry for 13 years and never saw galvanized or anything but the rusty steel used. But that's been a while ago. Maybe they use stainless or galvanized now, especially on government projects, smileytoast.gif That's Blackberry... I say Blackberry speakin'!

For bridges they use green painted steel now - hmm, maybe its coated, never stopped to check.

#24 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4069 posts

Posted 15 March 2012 - 11:34 AM

Yes - stepdad works for the city - and they use the same rebar as before but now its dipped in a plastic/rubber coating.
Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

#25 TonyV

TonyV

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 09:02 AM

The other week while I was at Lowe's I noticed they sell the green rubberized paint as a spray paint. There is also a rubberized spray paint for your car undercarriage that should work too. That actually may look pretty cool now that I think of it. Plus it being rubberized will help keep the bottles in place.

#26 croat

croat

Nooooooo!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4069 posts

Posted 22 May 2012 - 01:17 PM

Yup thats Plastidip but you can buy any rubberized spray paint to get the same effect.
http://www.plastidip...ions/Plasti_Dip
Bordailles Rouge | Organic Banana | Lemon | Black Cherry Pinot Noir | Rhubarb/Berry- Pear (Vanilla)
VR Zinfandel | RJ Concord | Damson Plum/Pomegranate | Cranberry/Zinfandel | Cranberry Apple Chablis

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users