• Please log in to reply
24 replies to this topic

#1 DocJavaDude

DocJavaDude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:35 PM

Ok, it has been way too long since high school chemistry. I have a healthy collection of labware -- beakers, flasks, pipettes, burettes, syringes, etc. They get used with lots of different chemicals (though some are designated in my home lab for single-use). Can we talk a bit about how to keep all of these tools clean and ready to use? Since I don't have an autoclave at my disposal, my practice is to use water -- and lots of it -- to rinse my glassware. I'll put beakers in the dishwasher, but that would do nothing for most of my flasks and certainly not little 10ml pipettes! But with the various things we're mixing and measuring, do we winemakers need to be doing more to keep these tools clean? Is there risk of carrying unwanted chemicals between procedures if we're just rinsing with water? I had my first encounters with H2S this year, and want to make sure I don't carry unwanted copper from my testing equipment. What are your practices for cleaning labware?
Jeff

Total Depravity Wines
Eat thy bread with joy and drink thy wine with a merry heart!
Ecclesiastes 9:7

#2 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 22 December 2011 - 09:42 PM

I just rinse, usually. First with tap water, then with reverse osmosis water, and finally with distilled. My tap water has too many minerals in it and will leave a residue, even in the dishwater. Occasionally I'll use dish soap first, but I rinse like crazy.

I an @n@l about rinsing stuff right after I use it.

-Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

#3 WVMountaineerJack

WVMountaineerJack

WVMJack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Interests:Growing a Wineyard full of Elderberry, Blackberry and Raspberry and Bees for Mead and Cider Apples

Posted 23 December 2011 - 05:46 AM

If you are really serious, you need lab quality cleaners like this from Cynmar:

Posted Image
ALCOJET® LOW FOAM POWDER DETERGENT, pH12, 4 LB
Stock#: 18050981

One the other hand, there is plenty of disposable pipetes. For beakers I just go to the grocery store and buy clear plastic disposable cups, one use and toss, no washing, perfect for doing TA measurements as you can see right through them. Unless you are heating up something these cheap, clean clear plastic cups are perfect.

We have just been washing ours with sal soda, then rinsing sensitive items with distilled water from the grocer, take syringes apart so there is no fluid stuck in them, drip dry burettes and cover the top opening so no dust gets in there, but really you are just making wine, not operating on people :)

Crackedcork

#4 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3271 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 07:37 AM

I am in the rinse immediately crowd. "The solution to pollution is dillution." I make sure all of my lab glass is rinsed thoroughly with plenty of tap water immediately after use and then I drop it in a bucket with oxyclean. Last action before I am done is to rinse again and put it on a dishrack to dry.

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#5 DocJavaDude

DocJavaDude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 02:43 PM

...but really you are just making wine, not operating on people :)

Crackedcork

Love it! Now THAT's a line that could get some conversation going here in the winepress forums! :D

Thanks for the feedback and thoughts on cleaning lab gear. I'll relax my sphincter and just rinse, rinse, rinse (the glassware).
Jeff

Total Depravity Wines

#6 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2354 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada, northwest of Toronto, via Ridgeway, ON
  • Interests:winemaking, photography, canoe tripping, scuba, running, my '96 Yamaha Virago 1100, trucking, guitar

Posted 23 December 2011 - 04:32 PM

I'll relax my sphincter and just rinse, rinse, rinse (the glassware).

Don't get too relaxed, or you'll be back into cleaning mode. blink.gif

Ken wave.gif
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis (at least I like to think so)

#7 ReUnitePangea

ReUnitePangea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 23 December 2011 - 11:51 PM

Normally rinse with tapwater, sulfur spray, rinse off sulfur with hot water. When things get backed up I let it soak in hot water until I can get to a proper clean.

#8 karl

karl

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 504 posts
  • Interests:Mountain hiking, Gardening, Winemaking, Engineering.

Posted 25 December 2011 - 07:54 AM

Shaking with warm water containing some small addition of dishwater machine agent followed by a clean water rinse. Will do the trick in most cases

#9 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3271 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 10:25 AM

Shaking with warm water containing some small addition of dishwater machine agent followed by a clean water rinse. Will do the trick in most cases

Most dishwasher detergents contain chlorine and chlorine is a contibuting factor in the production of TCA.

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#10 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2354 posts
  • Interests:winemaking, photography, canoe tripping, scuba, running, my '96 Yamaha Virago 1100, trucking, guitar

Posted 25 December 2011 - 01:05 PM

Most dishwasher detergents contain chlorine and chlorine is a contibuting factor in the production of TCA.

I use dishwasher detergent, but I rinse well, and make sure nothing remains to cause problems. So far I've had no problem with TCA or any other contamination.

Ken wave.gif

#11 WVMountaineerJack

WVMountaineerJack

WVMJack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1446 posts
  • Interests:Growing a Wineyard full of Elderberry, Blackberry and Raspberry and Bees for Mead and Cider Apples

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:24 PM

Sal soda is cheaper and doesnt have any fragrance or antispotting agents that can hang around even after a good rinsing. Crackedcork

#12 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3271 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 04:38 PM

I use dishwasher detergent, but I rinse well, and make sure nothing remains to cause problems. So far I've had no problem with TCA or any other contamination.

Ken wave.gif

I don't wear my seatbelt and I have never had a problem in my car. I have read that not wearing a seatbelt can lead to increased injuries and there is conclusive scientific proof that seatbelt can prevent injuries but I haven't found that in my personal experience so I am going to continue driving without it.

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#13 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2354 posts

Posted 25 December 2011 - 06:26 PM

I don't wear my seatbelt and I have never had a problem in my car. I have read that not wearing a seatbelt can lead to increased injuries and there is conclusive scientific proof that seatbelt can prevent injuries but I haven't found that in my personal experience so I am going to continue driving without it.

Good on ya!! I like your attitude!
p.s. I understand there are a couple of highway patrol members on this forum.

Ken wave.gif

#14 DocJavaDude

DocJavaDude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

I caught my dog licking up a small spill of Syrah. She seemed to like it. A lot. I think I'll employ her as both wine reviewer and cleaner of labware.
Jeff

Total Depravity Wines

#15 DocJavaDude

DocJavaDude

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 06 January 2012 - 10:38 PM

And yes, she is a (wait for it)... lab.
Jeff

Total Depravity Wines

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users