• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ReUnitePangea

ReUnitePangea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:47 PM

Hi guys I was making beer in the off season with a carboy and had a lot of stains from where the beer foamed up then died back down and dried, so I soaked it with hot water and oxy clean. I left it for over a week for various reasons and when I went to empty, scrub rinse there were hard white stains not only on the bottom but on the sides. The hot water im using was very cloudy, ive since only cleaned with cold water. I dont know if it was the oxy clean thats hardened or something in the water.

Ive used sulfur and scrubbed to no avail. Ive used Chloro clean for beermarking to no avail. I then went to the hardware store and bought pure lye crystals and nothing. This leads me to believe its an alkaline stain and probably needs a strong acid to remove. Any ideas? Tips? I dont have any acid on hand but I'll likely pick some up soon.

Do you think normal tartaric or citric will be strong enough or should I be looking at something stronger?

Thanks.

-RUP

#2 Proud Puppy

Proud Puppy

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1471 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:56 AM

Try Dish powder. That takes any stain I have seen off without even a brush. If it doesn't come off with that or a brushing as well is not removing it, it may be etching from the long soaks.

Ron
Going Through MLF: 2013 Lanza Koch Cabernet Sauvignon 6.5 Gallons;2013 Lanza Suisun Petite Sirah 6.0 Gallons;
2013 Atlas Peak Merlot 6.5 Gallons; 2012 (frozen)Beckstoffer Carneros Lake Merlot 6.5 Gallons; 2013 Atlas Peak Cabernet Sauv 6.5 Gallons

#3 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4075 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 04:02 AM

I'd suggest trying a strong acid solution.
Howie Hart

#4 running wolf

running wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 582 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, gardening, Wine Making, Rock Collecting

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:40 AM

I use caustic soda for any thing that bad. Follow up with a good rinse followed with a meta bath. Wear gloves as this can be dangerous stuff and you don't want to get it on you.
Running Wolf Wine Cellar
Edinboro, Pa.

#5 WVMountaineerJack

WVMountaineerJack

WVMJack

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1450 posts
  • Interests:Growing a Wineyard full of Elderberry, Blackberry and Raspberry and Bees for Mead and Cider Apples

Posted 18 December 2011 - 09:52 AM

For really bad stains we add some dish washer powder, dissolve it in the carboy with hot water - you dont want to fill it up - and then after its worked a little while pour some distilled vinegar as your acid into it, you can get an energentic reaction from that with lots of bubbling, then rewash the carboy to get rid of all the soap. Crackedcork

#6 ReUnitePangea

ReUnitePangea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 20 December 2011 - 02:07 PM

Howie wins, I bought $20 of caustic because thats what Im used to cleaning with but caustic did nothing which lead me to believe that it was an alkaline stain. $1 of vinegar and a quick brush cleaned her right up. Thanks for the reply's.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users