• Please log in to reply
17 replies to this topic

#1 jackieg

jackieg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:22 AM

Hello I need a really good recipe for pink Catawba. I just picked up 5 gallons of fresh pressed juice from my local winery. Thanks

#2 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4102 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:38 AM

Hi jackieg and welcome. Making wine from juice or grapes, whether Catawba, Riesling or Cabernet Sauvignon involves much more than following a recipe. Do you have data: Sugar content? Acidity? What kind of wine do you want to make? Sweet? Dry? I'd recommend reading up on wine making. Here is an excellent link to a free book. http://www.winebook.webs.com/ There are many others that are less involved.
Howie Hart

#3 jackieg

jackieg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 06:37 AM

Yes my starting sg is 1060 i know how to ferment. I've done kits. I want my wine to be semi sweet. The kits come with all the ingredients I now how to make simple syrup to bring up sg. What I'm not clear on is how do I get it to taste really good! The finished product. Is there chips or flavors? Thanks for your help

#4 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4102 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 10:26 AM

Your SG is too low. I'd suggest adding about 6 cups of sugar (dissolved) to bring the SG up to about 1.090 and ferment using EC-1118 yeast. When the fermentation is complete, and the wine falls clear, rack it and give it 1/4 tsp of K-meta. Then, cold stabilize the wine at between 20-30 degF for about a week, then rack off the tartrates and give it another 1/4 tsp of K-meat. Allow the wine fall clear - you can use a fining agent or filter. When the wine is brilliantly clear, give it one last dose of 1/4 tsp K-meta, a dose of potassium sorbate, and sweeten to taste, probably 2-5 cups of sugar. Then bottle.
Howie Hart

#5 jackieg

jackieg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:15 PM

Thanks but I'm confussed 20 to 30 degf. That's below freezing. I don't have acces to a freezer. Just doing to in basement is there another way?

#6 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4102 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 12:57 PM

Depending on where you live, you can put it in the garage or tool shed in December or January.
Howie Hart

#7 jackieg

jackieg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 03:30 PM

well i do live in a very cold climet. The snow belt! Chardon Ohio. So get it started than when it get cold enough put it in the nice cold garage. can you explain to me what the cold does for this wine? and is this only certain wines?

#8 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4102 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 05:42 PM

I can't answer all your questions. That's why I posted the link. Wine making requires study.
Howie Hart

#9 winewit

winewit

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 03:42 PM

I read somewhere that the red Catawba grapes are fermentened on there skins for only at day or two. Hence pink wine. I think cold stabalization is used in conjection with acid reducing chalks. It help drop the converted acid out. To which you rack off. Or something like that. Good luck

#10 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16138 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 27 October 2011 - 09:01 PM

Here's what I think. Catawba doesn't have enough growing season to ripen in the North, so it becomes a pink wine. In the south it's a red wine, because the fruit has all the time it needs to fully ripen. It's one of our favorites in Tennessee, very fruity and even sweet when dry, just lots of delicious flavor.

Howie, let's swap a bottle this Winter. I'd really like to try yours and I'm sure you'd be shocked at the difference in mine. I'll bet they're both delicious!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#11 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4102 posts

Posted 27 October 2011 - 11:42 PM

Howie, let's swap a bottle this Winter. I'd really like to try yours and I'm sure you'd be shocked at the difference in mine. I'll bet they're both delicious!

Actually, most of the Catawba grown in NY State is made into white wine. It was the main grape used in making sparkling wines years ago. That being said, it's not the style of wine I particularly care for, so I've never made it. I like Delaware, but haven't made it in years, because nobody grows it around here any more. I make rosé from Steuben every year, but that's mostly because everyone in my family likes it. All the rest of my wines are hybrids or vinefera. Swapping bottles could be arranged. I have a brother-in-law in Knoxville that I may go visit one of these day and maybe we can get together then.
Howie Hart

#12 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16138 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 28 October 2011 - 08:40 AM

If it's at all possible I'll be there! Just let me know when my Friend!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#13 jackieg

jackieg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:56 AM

If it's at all possible I'll be there! Just let me know when my Friend!

#14 jackieg

jackieg

• Members
  • Pip
  • 12 posts

Posted 04 November 2011 - 10:59 AM

Wade my sister lives in Knoxville My husband and i visit every summer. I want to retire there. I think tn is so beautiful!!!!

#15 running wolf

running wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 587 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, gardening, Wine Making, Rock Collecting

Posted 04 November 2011 - 06:34 PM

Pink Catawba is a crap shoot for color. Howie is right, up in the north here it usually comes out as a white wine. With that said, two week s ago the Catawba we pressed came out a real nice pink color. To be consistant wineries will usually blend 10-15% of a red wine to ge the pink color customers are looking for.
Running Wolf Wine Cellar
Edinboro, Pa.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users