diaphragm pump mono screw pump

• Please log in to reply
8 replies to this topic

#1 Saratoga Wine

Saratoga Wine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Making Cab, PN and Chardonnay on Mt. Eden Ridge.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 05:54 PM

This is my first post. Just joined. I know that there is lots of exchange re: fluid transfer pumps, but most seems to be targeted at larger or smaller GPM than I am looking for. I have the H308 pump, which is great for transfer to a multiple head filler and for 20 min/barrel racking, but I'd like to find something that will move the wine (not the must) more quickly, yet managing it almost as gently as the variable diaphragm pump. I've looked at the rubber impeller (pmp125) and the mono screw (progressive cavity) pumps from moreflavor, but the former sounds a little rough and the latter is awfully expensive. Any suggestions?

#2 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13063 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:07 PM

Hands down, the gas transfer tool like a Bulldog Pup will be the easiest on the wine. If you want something more versitile, a 1" air powered diaphram with pulse smoother is next.
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#3 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13063 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 06:08 PM

Oh, yeah...

WELCOME TO WINEPRESS!
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#4 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 11 October 2011 - 07:07 PM

Welcome to the forums! smileytoast.gif

Sorry I don't have an answer to your questions, though, but if gregorio says it, I'll believe it!

-Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

#5 redazsun

redazsun

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 401 posts
  • Interests:Grand Children, Fast Cars, Wine Making, Friends

Posted 11 October 2011 - 09:03 PM

Welcome to the forums! smileytoast.gif

Sorry I don't have an answer to your questions, though, but if gregorio says it, I'll believe it!

-Bret

Ditto
Ron Dickens

In Vino Veritas
John 15:5

#6 Crazy Run Ranch

Crazy Run Ranch

_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4135 posts

Posted 11 October 2011 - 11:22 PM

Hands down, the gas transfer tool like a Bulldog Pup will be the easiest on the wine. If you want something more versitile, a 1" air powered diaphram with pulse smoother is next.

I went 1 H308, then 2 H308's in parallel, the gas transfer tool, then 1" diaphragm replacing the H308's. The only other super gentle way that I know is gravity. Thought about going to a forklift, straddle stacker, or modified hydraulic lift but its hard to totally eliminate a pump.

#7 Saratoga Wine

Saratoga Wine

• Members
  • Pip
  • 2 posts
  • Interests:Making Cab, PN and Chardonnay on Mt. Eden Ridge.

Posted 12 October 2011 - 02:02 PM

Gregorio: I don't know the Bulldog Pup. Can you suggest a manufacturer and model? MoreFlavor has a 1/2" and 1" air powered diaphragm. The 1/2" looks like the volume I seek. Wouldn't it be somewhat gentler than a 1"? I haven't used an air compressor with a pump before, but I know that it is a common practice. We don't have a forklift and operate in one story, so gravity doesn't make sense, for racking and other fluid transfer.

Crazy Run, I saw your prior post on the dual H308s. That makes sense to me, but it is still about 50% of the volume that I'd prefer. I definitely like how gentle my H308 is.

#8 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13063 posts

Posted 12 October 2011 - 03:36 PM

Go here http://www.stpats.com/index.htm and select barrel tools from the left pane. It is called a gas racking tool.

I prefer to oversize the pump that way it isn't working as hard.

#9 Crazy Run Ranch

Crazy Run Ranch

_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4135 posts

Posted 13 October 2011 - 02:10 AM

Crazy Run, I saw your prior post on the dual H308s. That makes sense to me, but it is still about 50% of the volume that I'd prefer. I definitely like how gentle my H308 is.

I agree, it was a quick and cheap 100% increase but I only did it for a season then went to a 1" pump. I think the 1" pump is easier on the wine at 10-15 gpm than a 1/2" would be since the liquid velocity through larger ports would be much lower. Plus using 1" hose flows smoother than 1/2" unless you run full tilt at 35+ gpm which I only have done on water. Another reason I went with the 1" is that they can take larger particle sizes in case you run a seed or skins through the pump.

Also tagged with one or more of these keywords: diaphragm pump, mono screw pump

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users