Knowlton Acres

#2 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4059 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:31 AM

Good thing you're not looking for Rochester grapes in Buffalo :unsure: . I looked up Buffalo grapes in the Big Winegrape Glossary:

Buffalo: Has synonym names NY 10830 and Early Steuben. Vigorous, productive, early ripening (around 2 weeks before Concord) variety derived from Herbert andWatkins varieties by NY's Geneva Research Station in 1938. Resembles its "Herbert" parent. Once found extensively planted in the Okanagan region of British Columbia, Canada and elsewhere. Moderately winter hardy, with good growth vigor, it usually ripens in late September and can produce very sweet, blue slipskin fruit. Produces best when trained to 4-cane Kniffen system. At last report this Concord-type grape has been displaced by other varieties except where used for tablegrape and juice production.

If you want, I have a good friend in Niagara County that grows lots of Steuben and I'm sure he'd have enough for you. He grows lots of them, along with other table grapes for Wegman's. Let me know.
Howie Hart

#3 Steve S

Steve S

• Members
  • Pip
  • 47 posts

Posted 02 October 2011 - 08:57 AM

My Buffalos were gone quite a while ago and I live fairly near you so I'm guessing you are out of luck. There are still a few Steubens around and they are similar in flavor, As a matter of fact, Buffalo was a parent of Steuben. I have just a couple of bunches left as the coons and possums got most and I have been munching on them myself.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users