Photo

First Cheese, Sub Lemon Juice Instead Of Citric Acid?

subbing lemon juice for acid

• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 thegabrielj

thegabrielj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Fermenting things, growing stuff and rebuilding old motorcycles.. among other things

Posted 20 September 2011 - 04:26 PM

im gonna try this recipe http://www.grapeandg...ymozzarella.pdf
i couldnt find any citric acid could i just use lemon juice?
if so how much? as long as i end up with a decent tasting cheese i dont care if its exactly mozzarella... just close

#2 thegabrielj

thegabrielj

• Members
  • Pip
  • 96 posts
  • Interests:Fermenting things, growing stuff and rebuilding old motorcycles.. among other things

Posted 20 September 2011 - 08:40 PM

tried and failed... maybe ill try again tmrw

#3 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:If it ferments, I'm interested: WINE, yogurt, milk&water kefir, kombucha & vinegar, not big on beer but I do occassionally enjoy it. Collector of ficus carica. Enjoy reading, knitting and would like to learn how to weave.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 05:33 AM

You can usually find citric acid in the section where all the canning/jelly making supplies are located. OR, ask at the pharmacy counter. Here is a good site I like to visit: http://biology.clc.u...ese/cheese.html
~Sara~ Made 71.5 gallons of wine in 2011--my first year in winemaking & I loved every minute of it!!
Amateur Winemakers Of Louisville: http://www.facebook....37454883025144/

#4 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5398 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 10 October 2011 - 04:51 PM

If your usualy ultra pastuerized milk you need you add some calcium chloride otherwise you will have very weak curds.
Using lemon juice for mozz is not a good idea since you need to reach a specific acidity content and PH. with lemon there is far too much variability in the amount of acid vs using citric acid in a recipe which calls for X tsps.
You can also use acid blend if you have it,perhaps use 15% less then required since the blend is stronger then citric acid.

I really suggest using the longer methos with perhaps a yogurt starter (if you dont have DVI), much better flavor then direct acidification but of course the make is much longer.
My advice may or may not be backed by actually personal expirience and should be treated as such. :)

#5 ShortFuse

ShortFuse

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 238 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 11:12 PM

I recently made some mozz. I watched a bunch of vids and read a bunch of things. And it turned out pretty tasty...I did use citric acid. Although I wasted my time going Pharmacy stores and GNCs...which did not carry them. I failed to realized that WAIT!!! Im a home brewer!!! and I live literally a mile from Thomas Creek Brewery which has a brew "shop"....got there a minute before they closed...although I used Ultra Pasterized milk that night and my cheese was a failure. LOL. Used good "shake well" organic the next day and it was a success!

Posted Image

Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users