• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Joe

Joe

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 08:15 AM

how does one test there so2 level in the wine.

Thank You

Joe

#2 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking and wine tasting-judging, Kiteboarding, flyfishing, RC airplanes

Posted 09 October 2003 - 08:43 AM

They are different kit on the market to test the free So2 level in wine. I personnaly use Titrets kit that are simple and at little cost.
Sébastien Mailloux
Certified Wine Judge, WJC
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#3 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking and wine tasting-judging, Kiteboarding, flyfishing, RC airplanes

Posted 09 October 2003 - 08:55 AM

Helpful information can be found on this link

http://www.winemaker...ator/index.html
Sébastien Mailloux
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#4 pp270

pp270

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 09:35 AM

This calculator would help to determine additional amount of S02 to add to get to a desired S02 level, but it doesn't tell you how to measure the current level of S02 already in solution. The titrate kits listed by the previous post seems to be an effective/inexpensive way. I received one of chemectrics catalogs, just need to review.

#5 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts

Posted 09 October 2003 - 10:38 AM

pp270 ; that's why I put these two post there, to have a way to calculate free so2 and to know how much he should add to get the desired amount needed.

So how do you measure the level in your wine? Sulfite measuring kits are available ($10 U.S. for a packet of ten) under the brand name CHEMetrics Titrets. These are good at-home sulfur-assaying kits that you can use to measure the amount of sulfites in your wine. If you really want to get serious, go through a wine lab supply house like The Wine Lab (707-224-7903 www.thewinelab.com) or Vinquiry (805-922-6321, www.vinquiry.com) to get a bench-top set up. This costs XX. It will, if you do a lot of sulfur analysis and plan to make wine for many years to come, be worth it in the long run.
Sébastien Mailloux
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#6 pp270

pp270

• Members
  • Pip
  • 28 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 02:29 PM

Currently I don't have any means to test for SO2 levels, that is why I am asking. Do you use the CHEMetrics Titrets? I don't make enough wine to justify the high $$ for testing equipment. Thanks for the links though, I will look into it further.

#7 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts

Posted 10 October 2003 - 03:28 PM

By now, yes I use the Titrets kit from CheMetrics. I paid it around 18$ if I remember well. They are some other kits that cost a little more but last much longer and are even most simpler. Last week-end I was with a professionnal vintner who show me all he's equipment and testing lab. The sulfite + acid test kit they use was very simple and cheap. I think it was made by Scott laboratory or something like that. It consist of a special graduated cylinder with a bottle of chemical that you add to a pre-determined amount of wine to test and when the color changed, you just have to read the number on that cylinder. Fast and easy, work the same for SO2 and TA but with different chemical.

Séb
Sébastien Mailloux
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users