• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16025 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:27 AM

Just an idea for our next TWINE meeting... Would anyone who might host it like to discuss chemistry... or maybe we could all share something we've learned or are learning in wine chemistry?

Chemistry is my weakest link in winemaking, but I'm determined this is the year I try to get smarter in it, no matter how it hurts my head!

I'd be up for a demonstration on any aspect of it. About the only chemistry I really have down at this point is pH and TA with a pH meter. Just ordered a Vinmetrica 100 though, so about to learn some more.

If someone wanted to lead the charge and teach the rest of us something about wine chemistry, please dummy it down for my sake! :)

Oh! And where and when are we going to do this? (It doesn't have to be focussed on Chemistry, just an idea....)
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#2 S Hofner

S Hofner

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1277 posts

Posted 31 August 2011 - 10:37 AM

Just an idea for our next TWINE meeting... Would anyone who might host it like to discuss chemistry... or maybe we could all share something we've learned or are learning in wine chemistry?

Chemistry is my weakest link in winemaking, but I'm determined this is the year I try to get smarter in it, no matter how it hurts my head!

I'd be up for a demonstration on any aspect of it. About the only chemistry I really have down at this point is pH and TA with a pH meter. Just ordered a Vinmetrica 100 though, so about to learn some more.

If someone wanted to lead the charge and teach the rest of us something about wine chemistry, please dummy it down for my sake! :)

Oh! And where and when are we going to do this? (It doesn't have to be focussed on Chemistry, just an idea....)

I'm not an expert (at all), but I have all the required items for pH, TA and SO2 (Vinmetrica). There are several easy topics associated with acid SO2. Those three items are huge in terms improvement for wine homies. I know your wanting to do one at your abode; why not have it there and set your dinning room up as a small lab?
Scott Hofner

#3 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16025 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 31 August 2011 - 05:59 PM

I think John Nash had said he'd like to do it at his place next time, not sure.
If not, here sounds fine to me, if life allows. Paula's Mom is just out of the hospital and we're holding our breath that she's on the mend, but not sure. So we'll see what the future holds. I'll also talk with her about it; she's stressed from worrying about her Mom.
Maybe John will chime in... are you there John?

#4 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
  • Interests:WineMaking
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:16 AM

Maybe a live demo on making .2n and .1n NaOH std. for TA.

Discuss adjusting methods for TA/PH.

The Vinmetrica is so simple the next step up for it would be for to walk itself to the wine room and perform the tests and only notify me if the sample needs
additions. :)

Muscadines should be ready in about a week or two... Called yesterday....

Dave

#5 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:If it ferments, I'm interested: WINE, yogurt, milk&water kefir, kombucha & vinegar, not big on beer but I do occassionally enjoy it. Collector of ficus carica. Enjoy reading, knitting and would like to learn how to weave.

Posted 01 September 2011 - 06:48 AM

I am hoping my invitation to travel southward still stands! I would like to try to come down, so please keep me posted.
~Sara~ Made 71.5 gallons of wine in 2011--my first year in winemaking & I loved every minute of it!!
Amateur Winemakers Of Louisville: http://www.facebook....37454883025144/

#6 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 01 September 2011 - 10:41 AM

Sara

That is always a standing invitation.

Dave

#7 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16025 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 01 September 2011 - 07:22 PM

The Vinmetrica is so simple the next step up for it would be for to walk itself to the wine room and perform the tests and only notify me if the sample needs
additions. :)

Then maybe I'll be able to figure it out! Mine shipped yesterday, waiting for it to get here before any more bottling... but I need my carboys!!!

#8 Johnnash

Johnnash

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Location:On the edge of the Highland Rim of the Cumberland Plateau in the hills of Tennessee
  • Interests:Family, Food, Gardening, Wine making, Hunting

Posted 01 September 2011 - 09:22 PM

Sorry for the absence. Saturday the 27th good for yall?
The weekend b-4 is my girls date with a hunters safety course, any earlier is too soon for us to be ready.

Thoughts...
I got a grill
Saramc, of course your invited.

Wade We can do the 27th but if you got something else in mind you cant hurt my feelings.
This is too good.....

#9 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16025 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

Turn the page on your calendar my Friend! Do you mean the 24th? :)
Your place sounds great!

#10 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 02 September 2011 - 05:44 AM

John

You been looking a an old calendar?

Sept: 27th on tuesday.. smileycheers.gif

Glad to see ya back. Ready for the muscadines?

Dave

#11 Johnnash

Johnnash

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts
  • Location:On the edge of the Highland Rim of the Cumberland Plateau in the hills of Tennessee

Posted 02 September 2011 - 08:30 AM

Oops! :wacko: ok 09/24/2011 Saturday. Gotta check that windows calander, must have entered the date wrong.

Muscadines, Been harvesting for two weeks as they ripen. The dry/hot weather has hurt them. They are small, ripening early, falling off the vine and not as flavorful as they should be. I hope to run them, after freezing with some domestic muscadines in a no water added format to get all I can get without weakening it any further.

Its been a bad year for fruit on my place and the economics have kept me away from good stewardship of the crops but we are surviving.

So I'll get the grill cleaned up, yall bring the chemistry, and I need further ideas. I have not made any wine this year but my chocolate port has aged nicely I think but I did start a batch of pear this week, its still in the primary and I plan my first attempt at strawberry from homegrown, ripe and frozen berries soon.

We look forward to seeing everybody!
Be safe.
This is too good.....

#12 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16025 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 02 September 2011 - 10:01 AM

I'll mark the calendar! Looking forward to it!

#13 Sax9747

Sax9747

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 256 posts
    Grape growing
    Computers (Linux)
    Gunsmithing

Posted 04 September 2011 - 06:01 AM

Yep Barb and I are ready...

Hope and Lance brought back some wines from Michigan that they may wish to share....

Dave

#14 winesupplyfetcher

winesupplyfetcher

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 581 posts
  • Interests:Family, writing, vineyard, study of the stars* Yoga! Kayaking! Hanging out. Reading. Oh, and quilting!

Posted 04 September 2011 - 08:30 PM

We hope to be there. Your place was one of the best times we've had with our group.

Thanks for being willing to have us.

I can't remember how to get to your place. Can you send us instructions by email or something? Also, time to be there, what to bring, etc.

We have some wines we really need help figuring out the chemistry. Some of Wade's Norton from 2010 went into malo fermentation (more than one carboy and I think at least one went into it more than once) and he is hesitant to bottle it as is. I have bottles ready but we haven't had time to bottle and I think he wants to be sure he's doing what needs to be done for the Norton before we bottle it.

It's been a crazy year for us, too. if we didn't have our own grapes, I doubt if we would have made any wine at all this year.
Peace, laughter, and fun. Wade helps me not be so serious! Love is like walking barefoot through a field of flowers.
With Wade.

#15 Johnnash

Johnnash

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 345 posts

Posted 06 September 2011 - 12:53 PM

OK, Tammie and I have the grill and we will do burgers and sausages, potato salad and sweet tea. We need veggies, condiments, side items, dessert, wine and chemistry.

We will be ready anytime after 10 AM. Snack around, taste test, eat early afternoon or whenever the urge hits us. We had better do the presentation early though.

A head count will help, so yall chime in.

We are at 10475 Baxter Herd Rd. Silver Point, TN 38582

From Nashville; I-40 east to exit 273 (this exit can be confusing)right onto HWY 56 south, cross the R X R tracks and turn left onto old baxter rd, no sign the corner market and the Rose Garden Cafe are there on the right after you turn left. Go about 1 1/2 miles to Carrs Chapel Rd and turn right, 1/4 mile to Baxter Herd Rd turn left. A little over 1/2 mile on the right, name and address is on the box. Park anywhere in the drive, on the lawn..., ignore the mutt next door.
This is too good.....

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users