3 replies to this topic

#1 Steve mead

Steve mead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 12 July 2011 - 12:11 PM

Last Saturday I was faced with too few blackberries for wine and no remaining freezer space (actually there was some but the wife threatened me),so I got inventive. I used the blackberry jam recipe from a box of pectinand added in about 10 finely chopped jalapeno peppers and cooked according to the box directions. The result is amazing, sweet blackberry jam with a jalapeno bite! I can just imagine this finishing spare ribs or Boston butt or chicken or DUCK breast! luxhello.gif luxhello.gif This was a really good idea!

#2 ScottNC

ScottNC

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 598 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 09:26 AM

Too cool! Have anaheim and jalapenos in the garden and a bunch of frozen blackberries waiting for the wife to make jam out of....May have to hijack the jam making and spike a few jars!

Did you add the peppers to the fruit for the whole proccess?

#3 Steve mead

Steve mead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 24 July 2011 - 11:16 AM

Actually, I doubled the recipe in the pectin box. 1 gallon of berries worked out great, I did strain out about 2/3 of the seeds. The peppers were finely chopped and added to the berries at the start of the cooking. Some nice ripe poblanos (that spicy fruity character) might be a better choice, but I think any pepper would work (no habs for me please).

You have got to try this with ribs! I'm talking condemned prisoner last meal choice here!

#4 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 24 July 2011 - 12:09 PM

Chatni wine luxhello.gif
My advice may or may not be backed by actually personal expirience and should be treated as such. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users