49 replies to this topic

#1 Fishrmn703

Fishrmn703

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 03:51 PM

I have a vsp trellis that has 2 stationary wires. One for the cordons and one about 2 ft above the first. How would I go about adding some movable catchwires? The end posts and row posts are those metal style posts with indentation marks for wires. The wires are just wrapped around the end posts and twisted tight. It seems as if I do the same for additional wires they wont be able to move up or down on the posts? Anyone know a solution or alternative?

Thanks,

Joe

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.

2011 & 2012 Syrah & Merlot
2012 Rose of Syrah

2013 Syrah, Merlot, and Rose of Both

#2 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13136 posts

Posted 07 July 2011 - 04:44 PM

There are a couple of devices you can use to tighten and release tension like a Gripple or ratchet. I am not a big fan of the movable wires but prefer multiple catch pairs instead. The added cost is negligible and the work needed to keep the shoots growing through the pairs is pretty easy.
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#3 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6878 posts
  • Interests:Turning can't into done.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 09:39 AM

Steve at Hollywood Hills showed me his a couple years ago. They were connected at one end of the row (about 75' long) and had one on each side of the trellis. On the moveable end, he had connected some lengths of chain with hooks into the trellis post about 4' above the ground. He'd unhook the chains from the hooks, drop the wires down to the ground, then pull them back up keeping the shoots inside of them, then rehook the chain. The chain allowed for variable adjustment as the vines get wider and harder to pull the wires tight. I thought it was a pretty cool system.
Steve, Garagiste
HomebuiltWinery.com

#4 Fishrmn703

Fishrmn703

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 466 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:22 PM

Thanks guys. The chain idea sounds interesting. Wish there was some way of getting pictures of or even video of the process in action. Im also now interested in possibly just using non movable wires and I guess just weaving the shoots through. Anyone else any input : )

The happiest people don't have the best of everything, they just make the best of everything.

2011 & 2012 Syrah & Merlot
2012 Rose of Syrah

2013 Syrah, Merlot, and Rose of Both

#5 Hammered

Hammered

Garagiste

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6878 posts
  • Interests:Turning can't into done.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 03:58 PM

I have two wires above my fruiting wire, about 18" apart and most vineyards around here have a double wire at each similar height above the cordon wire, one on each side of the round wood post. The way I deal with a single wire is when about 25% of the shoots are about 24 to 30" long, I tie them to the middle wire, which then creates a "mesh" or grid of wires and shoots that allows the rest of the shoots to get tucked into as they grow up. Seems to be working pretty well so far.
Steve, Garagiste
HomebuiltWinery.com

#6 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13136 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:13 PM

Be careful tying shoots to the wires. They are very delicate and water/nutrient flows is easily restricted.

Of all the low cordon systems we have used over the years, the only one we dislike more than the weave is the drop wire. 11doh.gif We are in the process of retrofitting everything over to fixed triple pairs. When you compare the canopies, the paired wire systems are straighter and taller. The weave and drop wire systems let the canes droop a lot. If you have vigorous vines, your might need the extra reach that the fixed pairs provide.
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#7 andyrud

andyrud

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 223 posts
  • Interests:Grape growing, wine making, astronomy, wine drinking, Archery

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:36 PM

Be careful tying shoots to the wires. They are very delicate and water/nutrient flows is easily restricted.

Of all the low cordon systems we have used over the years, the only one we dislike more than the weave is the drop wire. 11doh.gif We are in the process of retrofitting everything over to fixed triple pairs. When you compare the canopies, the paired wire systems are straighter and taller. The weave and drop wire systems let the canes droop a lot. If you have vigorous vines, your might need the extra reach that the fixed pairs provide.

Could you please explain "fixed triple pair"?

Thanks
Andy

#8 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13136 posts

Posted 08 July 2011 - 05:58 PM

Could you please explain "fixed triple pair"?

Thanks
Andy

Sure!
Our VSP Cordon wires are at 30", 36" or 42" depending on varietal and site. Above that are three pairs of catch wires spaced equally from the Cordon to the top of the trellis post. On a 6' (exposed) trellis post and a 36" Cordon height, the catch pairs are at 48", 60" and 72". This gives us the abilty to have 5' of canopy before the canes start to droop.

All catch wires are looped around the end post with one or two Gripple wire tensioners on each side of the pair depending on how long the rows are.

Does this help?
Greg

#9 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 06:36 PM

Sure!
Our VSP Cordon wires are at 30", 36" or 42" depending on varietal and site. Above that are three pairs of catch wires spaced equally from the Cordon to the top of the trellis post. On a 6' (exposed) trellis post and a 36" Cordon height, the catch pairs are at 48", 60" and 72". This gives us the abilty to have 5' of canopy before the canes start to droop.

All catch wires are looped around the end post with one or two Gripple wire tensioners on each side of the pair depending on how long the rows are.

Does this help?
Greg

Three pairs of catch wires is starting to sound like a good option for my VSP. Right now I have just two catch wires (above a single drip line wire and another single fruiting / cordon wire), and I seem to get a lot of little straggler shoots that I have to go through and position a lot.

-Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

#10 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 08 July 2011 - 08:32 PM

Joe, I don't know much about setting up wires on T-posts like you have, but here's what I have for my VSP:

-Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

#11 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13136 posts

Posted 09 July 2011 - 08:25 AM

Three pairs of catch wires is starting to sound like a good option for my VSP. Right now I have just two catch wires (above a single drip line wire and another single fruiting / cordon wire), and I seem to get a lot of little straggler shoots that I have to go through and position a lot.

-Bret

Where we have 2 pairs, we are retrofitting a third because we find that the shoots still flop around too much in the wind as they are growing. The sites where we have three wires we spend less time positioning shoots and have less breakage.

#12 gwbod

gwbod

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 249 posts
  • Interests:Organ and tissue transplants save lives.

Harvested about 800# of grapes in 2013 from my personal vineyard on the farm.

Posted 09 July 2011 - 09:46 AM

I also agree with the triple looped catch wires. My second year vines only have 2 sets and I don't like the way the shoots lie and their need for tying. Next spring the first loop gets lowered and a middle loop will be added.
Gary

#13 Chano Aguayo

Chano Aguayo

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:11 PM

I am not a believer of movable wires either and prefer fixed wires. However, I have installed 6-inch crossarms above the trellis wires at 12 inch spacing. The third and last crossarm is 8 inches long go allow a much open space for the canes to droop over the wires. When tucking the shoots through the catch wires, it is just a matter of using my forearm and push two or three shoots between the catch wirs as they grow over the season, but I do this operation when the days are warm that makes the shoots more flexible and to minimize breakage.

The first set of catch wires needs to be distanced according to variety and length of or height of spurs above the cordon. In other words, if the spurs are 4 inches long, I space the first set of catch wire a distance of 12 inches from the top of the spur. I never, never use ties anywhere in the catch wires, never. Thanks.

Chano
Vineyard Prunology

#14 Chano Aguayo

Chano Aguayo

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1294 posts

Posted 10 July 2011 - 02:14 PM

-Bret

\

Bret, go for three sets of catch wires. Thanks.

Chano
Vineyard Prunology

#15 nwpinot

nwpinot

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 568 posts
  • Interests:Hobby farm, horses, construction, racing, guns, music, travel.

Posted 11 July 2011 - 09:14 AM

Question: When using 3 sets of catch wires, do you still use the plastic c clips to bind the catchwires around the shoots that you've positioned?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users