• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 Kent Robinson

Kent Robinson

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts

Posted 04 July 2011 - 11:04 AM

ok... i've read online the the recommended dosage for bentonite is 4.5cc of slurry per liter of wine. And the slurry recipe is 50 grams of Bentonite to one liter of water... Being from the US, I googled my conversion tables and hope i did the math right. Would anyone like to check my homework? Or contribute a different mixing and dosing ratio? Thanks!

1 liter = about 1 quart

50 grams = 1.75oz = 3TBS+1TSP

4.5 cc = .02 cups

about 24 liters in 6 gallons..........so about half a cup of slurry per 6 gal batch.

YES? NO? Anyone got a different answer??? :)
Kent

*Real good wine, really fast? = John 2:1-11

#2 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5420 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 04 July 2011 - 03:02 PM

There is no "right" dosage.
It can be anywhere from nothing is required (rare in whites) to a very heavy dose is required.
Bench trialing is required so you do it once and do it right other wise your just doing fining for clearification sake in which case there are more efficient fining agents, not fining for protein stability.

If I were into tatoos... I would tatoo some grapes on my forarm. :P

#3 Lin Dixie

Lin Dixie

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 05:49 AM

Oh, good question and something I've been wondering about, too. I have a package of bentonite that I've never used. The directions say: "For 5 gallons, mix 2.5 tsp to 2.5 cups hot water. Wait 24 hours and add." But it does not say to add all of it, or just some of it. How do you know if this dosage (or what you come up with by bench trials) is right? What happens if you use too much or too little?

Thanks, as always!
Lin

2013:Cranberry, Apple, Peach, Strawberry, Blueberry, Crabapple, Blackberry, Cab Sauv.  2011: Cranberry-Apple, Pumpkin, Spiced Orange Mead, Strawberry, Straw-Pee, Pear, Guava, Cranberry, Cran-Pee, Apple, Pom-Pee, Blueberry, Blueberry Melomel, Mango, Mango-Pee. 2010: Apple, Peach, Cranberry, Blueberry, Pear, Strawberry, Concord Grape. 2009: Apple mead, Blueberry, Blackberry, Pear, Watermelon, Peach, Apple.  

#4 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5420 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:05 AM

Too little and there are still proteins flowting about and too much and you can start striping color,flavour and aroma this is why bench trialing,despite being a pain in the arsss is necesery to determine minimal dosage.
I use small 50ml clear plastic capped test tubes.

#5 surlees

surlees

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 06:41 AM

Most kits I've used come with about 15 grams of bentonite, so 50 grams sounds like too much for 6 gallons. I agree with Tomer1 a bench trial is best, but if you're impatient start with about 15 grams in 16 oz. (1 pint) of hot water, mix thoroughly, allow to stand for several hours, then add it. Many kits recommend adding to the must pre-fermentation, but it can be added either pre or post-fermentation. Also if it doesn't clear well with 15 grams you can use it again later.

Fred

#6 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5420 posts

Posted 05 July 2011 - 08:08 AM

Reds,espacilly tannic reds dont need it and it is added to kits as a mean to aid with fermentation kinetics in ultra clearified musts\juice.
I dont recommend fining several times because the lees are so fluffy and large in terms of volume you'l be losing alot of wine to racking.

#7 Pinot Clone

Pinot Clone

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 06 July 2011 - 12:01 AM

Just as an FYI, that amount of bentonite sounds like too much. Per Eckraus the standard dosages are 1-2 tablespoons per gallon. So max is maybe 10 tablespoons -that seems far off from a half cup. I am lazy so I use about 1 tablespoon per gallon but my protein haze is reduced but still exist. The bench trial is the right way. Wish there was receipt for that.

http://eckraus.com/w...-bentonite.html

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users