18 replies to this topic

#1 FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:01 PM

Hi, To make it brief, I set up the vacuum pump idea it is great, works wonders, but as I was made aware and tried it for my self, It can not work with the VC tanks it leaks air no matter how weak or strong the vaccum is.

My question is, I see some wine transfer pumps for sale. Which one should I get that is not to cosly and that will work fast. I used my mini jet last night it took me an hour to transfer the wine. Way tooo long, I was at one place whee they had the marchisio pump for $130, how fast is that one? is it good for alot of wine? I think for this amount of wine its just worth geting something thats made for the job.

Thanks,
Making Kosher Wine From Fresh Grapes Since 2008

Fall 2010/"Touriga Nacional" From Lodi CA / Plan to rack in a Month. and then in Three...

Fall 2010/Fermenting Aprox 10 Plus Gallons of Hudson Valley Seyval Blanc

#2 Michael A

Michael A

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:54 PM

Hi, To make it brief, I set up the vacuum pump idea it is great, works wonders, but as I was made aware and tried it for my self, It can not work with the VC tanks it leaks air no matter how weak or strong the vaccum is.

My question is, I see some wine transfer pumps for sale. Which one should I get that is not to cosly and that will work fast. I used my mini jet last night it took me an hour to transfer the wine. Way tooo long, I was at one place whee they had the marchisio pump for $130, how fast is that one? is it good for alot of wine? I think for this amount of wine its just worth geting something thats made for the job.

Thanks,

I bought a diaphram pump from morewine - 0-3gpm adjustable. Works great.
My wife always professed her desire to marry a man with a body like a Greek god. Somehow I don't think she meant one shaped like Bacchus...

#3 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3324 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 02:56 PM

I am a BIG fan of the air powered diaphragm pump. Mine is way too big for me or any home wine maker but West Seattle Winery has a great size for the small operation. Hopefully he will tell us what make & model it is. The great thing about these pumps is that speed control is done with an inexpensive air regulator and they can be slowed down to almost nothing. You can also shut off the output flow without harming the wine...as soon as the output pressure reaches the air supply pressure the pump just stops. For my money it is the best all around pump. The one downside/requirement is that you will have to get a surge suppressor for the output because the lines will jump out of your hand without one. I made mine from a short piece of 3 inch stainless pipe that I got cheap from a local dairy supply and a few fittings from St. Pats. Be glad to share if you need details.

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#4 West Seattle Winery

West Seattle Winery

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:54 PM

The smaller one that I have I bet is the same thing that Michael is using. Its a sureflo diaphram pump, electric powered (which is great because you don't have to have an air compressor, and its a hell of a lot quieter than the air compressor pumps AND THE AIR COMPRESSOR). I have used it to rack barrels to my tank and then move the wine from the tank back to barrel many times. At 3 gallons a minute it takes about 20min each way...

You can get them from morewine but you can find them a lot of other places too (ebay).

sureflo pump link

its a hard working piece of gear. I have been using it for 3 seasons and it sees plenty of abuse.

like Calamity mentioned the bigger air driven ones move wine a hell of a lot faster (I can rack a barrel in about 3min vs 20...but how fast do you really need to go)... but are also a lot more expensive etc. The bigger one I have is a Husky but Gracco and a number of other companies make food grade ones.
-Charlie
Cairdeas Winery

Posted Image

Check us out online!
www.cairdeaswinery.com
facebook.com/cairdeaswinery
Twitter - @cairdeaswinery

#5 FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 04:55 PM

Thanks guys, can I please see a link.

Fall 2010/"Touriga Nacional" From Lodi CA / Plan to rack in a Month. and then in Three...

#6 West Seattle Winery

West Seattle Winery

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:17 PM

http://morewinemakin..._Diaphragm_Pump
-Charlie
Cairdeas Winery

Posted Image

Check us out online!
www.cairdeaswinery.com

#7 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3324 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:31 PM

http://morewinemakin..."_Polypropylene

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#8 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Home Theater, RC Planes, Ham Radio, Solar Electric

Posted 14 June 2011 - 05:35 PM

I also have the MoreWine H305 and it works great.

#9 Michael A

Michael A

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

Mine's different than the others:

Posted Image

(Click on it to bring you to the morewine page)
My wife always professed her desire to marry a man with a body like a Greek god. Somehow I don't think she meant one shaped like Bacchus...

#10 Crazy Run Ranch

Crazy Run Ranch

_

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4246 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:33 PM

I used a Shurflo (H305) for a couple years then bought a second and ran 2 in parallel for 6 gpm. They are cost effective even using 2 and they never break down. They are very well designed. I ultimately went to an air drive diaphragm which I love. Set it up for about $600 including pump, welded TC fittings, and pulse smoother. Its runs very smooth at 10 gpm which I typically run at or at full tilt can hit over 30 gpm. But it can also run slow enough to feed my bottle filler. But I have a large air compressor installed in another room. I would not go this route in a small home with everything close by. The Shurflo is good for up to around 120 gallons of wine. Above that, it takes awhile.

#11 West Seattle Winery

West Seattle Winery

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 14 June 2011 - 10:56 PM

If you decide to go the air compressor route you can get it set up for pretty cheap too. I found a 3/4" husky (brand new) on eBay for $150 (although typically these are more in the $300+ range), air compressor with 20 gallon tank $120, pulse smoother tube (Calamity dairy hook up), and TC fittings for $70 made for a decent set up. I wish I had a 1" pump but the price difference was a deal breaker for me and this moves wine pretty fast...(or slow as mentioned) But unless you are racking like 5 barrels or more I think it's overkill. Buy enough air hose to run the compressor from a mile away. Those things are loud.

I end up racking with gas more often than not anymore though.
-Charlie
Cairdeas Winery

Posted Image

Check us out online!
www.cairdeaswinery.com

#12 camden

camden

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 09:19 AM

Has anyone had success moving wine on gross lees with the H308? I had a circumstance where I needed to do this before racking off gross lees. If I need to again I'm wondering if this pump can handle it without clogging.

I believe it's a similar if not the same design as the H305 except the H308 has an inline filter to catch the big stuff and also variable speed. Thoughts?

Thanks

#13 Michael A

Michael A

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1211 posts

Posted 15 June 2011 - 11:02 AM

Has anyone had success moving wine on gross lees with the H308? I had a circumstance where I needed to do this before racking off gross lees. If I need to again I'm wondering if this pump can handle it without clogging.

I believe it's a similar if not the same design as the H305 except the H308 has an inline filter to catch the big stuff and also variable speed. Thoughts?

Thanks

You will not only clog, but also likely ruin the H308 if you try and pump solids through it.

#14 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5420 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 15 June 2011 - 04:31 PM

If your using a carboy or demijohn you can simply pump the pressed wine till you get to the gross lees and then manually dump the remaining gross lees to where you want it.

If I were into tatoos... I would tatoo some grapes on my forarm. :P

#15 FriendlyFire

FriendlyFire

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 947 posts

Posted 23 June 2011 - 02:16 PM

Anyone hear of a pump. "Rover Pompe" M 10 ? I found a site for them in Italy but I don't see M 10 I only see it start with M 20. Corradods has a M 10 i wantto see if I could get more info on the machine? Do a google search and not much comes up.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users