• Please log in to reply
20 replies to this topic

#1 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, woodworking, muscadine cultivation and wine making

Posted 01 April 2005 - 08:47 PM

I've been researching recipes for strawberry wine. Some substitute Welches grape consentrate for raisins. My question is where do you obtain the consentrate? Do you find it in the frozen food section with frozen orange juice or what? huh.gif

#2 jwingo

jwingo

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 01 April 2005 - 09:22 PM

That is correct muscadine. You will find out there are quite a few frozen concentrate juices there. Same place. Makes a pretty good wine on its own.
Jeff
Just another rawk star/music teacher/Financial Performance Analyst who makes wine and loves to drink.

#3 WineThief

WineThief

Hooked on WinePress.US

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3021 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making.. :)

Posted 01 April 2005 - 10:07 PM

QUOTE (muscadine @ Apr 1 2005, 09:19 PM)
Some substitute Welches grape consentrate for raisins. My question is where do you obtain the consentrate? Do you find it in the frozen food section with frozen orange juice or what? huh.gif

Yup, At any local grocery store in the frozen food section next to the orange juice. Be sure to get only the 100% white grape juice, not the cocktail.

The plastic cans look like this.
http://www.welchs.co...ozenjuices.html
In the immortal words of Ben Franklin,
"WINE IS A CONSTANT REMINDER THAT GOD LOVES US AND LOVES TO SEE US HAPPY"
Terry Neve

#4 Curt

Curt

Bumbling Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
  • Interests:wine and winemaking
    karate
    woodworking
    photography
    hunting

Posted 01 April 2005 - 11:17 PM

Yuppers you all. I have three batches going from concentrate. 5 gal. of apple/raspberry, 1 gal. of white Niagara and a 5 gal. batch of red grape. You do have to take into account that they don't make a half gallon/can anymore though. Only 45 oz. now.

what's brewing; 6gal local plum  6gal strawberry/rhubarb  6gal pinot noir  6gal blueberry/grape  6gal old vine zin  9gal local apple

#5 GrammaK

GrammaK

• Members
  • Pip
  • 78 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:46 AM

I never use raisins in my fruit wines. I substute 1-32 oz bottle of Gerber baby White Grape Juice instead (1 for each gallon of wine, subtracting that amount of water in the recipe). The baby grape juice has no sugar or preservatives and it seems to work just fine.

Kathleen

#6 Vinmaker

Vinmaker

Winemaker

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7129 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:51 AM

I have been watching the sales for the concentrate to give it whirl. Never made them before and would like to give it a try. Been watching for a couple of months now. No avail.

Happily Winemaking.

Waiting for the 2013 Harvest!

#7 theaug

theaug

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 276 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:57 AM

I wouldn't mind making a batch from concentrait.........
Anybody with the recipe????
"Are you gonna pull those pistols, or whistle Dixie?"
~The Outlaw Josey Whales~

#8 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, woodworking, muscadine cultivation and wine making

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:23 AM

Thanks for all the replies, you folks are a wealth of information. I have 50 strawberry plants that are just starting to produce. I have 15 or so pounds set aside in the freezer for a 5gal batch. I plan to follow Jack Kellers recipe using brown sugar but substituting the frozen grape concentrate for the raisins. I also plan to use oak beans for the first time. Any suggestions on when to put them in and when to remove them? Also, how many should I use? huh.gif

#9 jwingo

jwingo

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2542 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 11:33 AM

TheAug
I have used a few from jack kellers website. All so far have turned out amazing and real easy to make too.
http://winemaking.ja...net/request.asp
he has a ton of concentrates on there.
muscadine
I have only dabled with oaking wine, but I think strawberry with the brown sugar oaked would be pretty good. What I have heard is it depeneds how much or how oaked you want it. I added oak chips post fermentation and the flavor seeped in real quick and was amazing. I have heard you can add them into the original must and the flavor is quite different. More mellow I guess. For how many, when to take out. I think thats all flavor. add the recomended ammount unless you want less overall oaking. And from what I have found, taste often. When it is right for your taste, then take it out. Sorry thats kind of vauge, but that seems to be how I do it.
Jeff
Just another rawk star/music teacher/Financial Performance Analyst who makes wine and loves to drink.

#10 P-man

P-man

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 122 posts

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:15 PM

The Welch's concentrate "Strawberry Breeze" is my favorite to use. I have a melomel in the primary with just the concentrate and Honey. I can't wait to try it.

P-man

#11 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 02 April 2005 - 07:43 PM

Untoasted French oak beans is best if oaking strawberry. It is alot subtler than toasted or American.
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

My name is Sikki Lee and I approved this message !

#12 Curt

Curt

Bumbling Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
    karate
    woodworking
    photography
    hunting

Posted 02 April 2005 - 09:24 PM

Hi,
I oak most of my fruit wines to some extent. I just use white oak scraps from my woodworking shop that I toast with a propane torch. From the reading I have done on oaking and flavor transfer it seems that the more end grain in proportion to side grain you have the faster it will transfer and the stronger the flavor will be. ie. the cubes will take longer than the beans will take longer than the powder or sawdust. I like the little bit of bitter flavor the oak leaves and the longer storage possibilities that it gives(not that that's really an issue). smileytoast.gif

what's brewing; 6gal local plum  6gal strawberry/rhubarb  6gal pinot noir  6gal blueberry/grape  6gal old vine zin  9gal local apple

#13 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:38 AM

QUOTE (Hippie @ Apr 2 2005, 08:15 PM)
Untoasted French oak beans is best if oaking strawberry. It is alot subtler than toasted or American.

All I have is a pack of medium toast american and one of med. toast hungarian. Which out of the two do you think would be best? The wine shop we have here doesn't carry any oak. Not really a wine shop but a pharmacy that carries a few supplies. If it's real critical I can always place an order on the net ~ what do you think? smileytoast.gif

#14 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 03 April 2005 - 10:46 AM

Curt, I was advised against doing that. The reason given (in this forum)was that it HAD TO BE white oak that had been seasoned for 3 or so yrs. What has been your experience with shop made chips? I'm a woodworker so obtaining the oak wouldn't be a problem ~ I just don't want to screw somthing up. smileytoast.gif

#15 Curt

Curt

Bumbling Idiot

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3579 posts
    karate
    woodworking
    photography
    hunting

Posted 03 April 2005 - 12:48 PM

Muscadine,
Always cool to find another sawdust producer. I've had good luck with my oaking. All of my wood used for wine is really well aged white oak though, so that part isn't an issue. The pieces that I usually use are the really thin trims from when I'm sizing things up. When I toast them with the torch they get too hot to hold so I effectively sterilize them as well as toast them. My next rule to break is going to be toasted cherry wood in my one gallon batch of white Niagara! Hey, you only go around once. Three cans of concentrate isn't much of a monitary risk and the result might just set the wine world on it's collective ear. cool.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users