• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:13 PM

Because of some pruning mistakes and misunderstanding in the last few years, I have some strange shaped vine in need of “repair”. I have a lot of vines with crossed cordons - - the cordon on the left actually starts on the right, but is bent back to the left and vice versa. Anyhow, now that I (think I) understand pruning a little better I want to repair my misshapen vines.

What is the best way to do this? Do I just let a few shoots grow from below the head area which will become my 2 cordons next year, and keep them while removing all the crossed cordons? If the answer is “yes”, should these shoots be allowed to produce grapes?

Thanks!
Bart

#2 K-9

K-9

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2189 posts

Posted 16 May 2011 - 12:17 PM

check out Lon rombough's excellent pruning DVD - a 2 dvd set.
http://www.bunchgrapes.com/dvd.html

he also has a great book too...

#3 Purple Grin Winery

Purple Grin Winery

Fool on the Hill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • Interests:Anything challenging...building, growing, analyzing, staying out of the cellar....half acre Syrah

Posted 16 May 2011 - 01:57 PM

I'll just answer "yes" and "yes". You might also be able to use some shoots on the existing funny cordons near the trunk.

Just make sure you trim other vegetation this year to manage the available energy such that you are assured that next year's cordons get at least pencil thick at the far ends. If that means cutting off that fruit, so be it.
http://www.purplegrinwinery.com

"Probably best to invite a bunch of friends over and drink it young" - moundtop

#4 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 17 May 2011 - 11:55 AM

Thanks folks!

Book ordered. Check!
DVDs ordered. Check!

Until they arrive, I'll ask a question based on Purple Grin’s reply. If I let a couple of shoots grow up from the head area this year and they bear fruit, can I remove all the rest of the shoots during next year’s winter pruning, and then bend these two shoots to form my cordons for next year? And if I do that, will they create more shoots that bear fruit?

I’m a little confused on what bears fruit and what doesn’t. My understanding is that a shoot that bears this year can be turned into a cordon that will give rise to more shoots that bear fruit the following year. Is that correct?

Thanks again,
Bart

#5 Purple Grin Winery

Purple Grin Winery

Fool on the Hill

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1793 posts
  • Interests:Anything challenging...building, growing, analyzing, staying out of the cellar....half acre Syrah

Posted 17 May 2011 - 04:22 PM

My understanding is that a shoot that bears this year can be turned into a cordon that will give rise to more shoots that bear fruit the following year. Is that correct?

In general, shoots from one year old wood are much more likely to be fruitful. That's exactly what you would have. This year's canes will become the next year's spurs, or buds for next year's shoots anyways. You'll just be leaving more than two buds on that really long spur!

Just lay them down. If it makes you feel better, pop the flowers off those inside canes this year. But I wouldn't.

Also, if you haven't seen the online videos from VTech, they are really great. There is a link on my "growing wine" page.
http://www.purplegrinwinery.com

"Probably best to invite a bunch of friends over and drink it young" - moundtop

#6 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:10 PM

Thanks Purple! Great site by the way. I remember looking at it with envy a year or so ago and marveling at your cellar.

#7 knotsorich

knotsorich

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1987 posts
  • Interests:Growing grapes and making wine.

Posted 18 May 2011 - 12:23 PM

I would take the fruit off any shoots I wanted to use as cordons next year so that they will become thicker before the end of the season. If you leave fruit, it will hold them back. It is untrue that they need to have fruit this year to give rise to bearing shoots next year. Take the fruit off this year and lay them down on the wire during dormant pruning.

#8 Bart

Bart

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 137 posts

Posted 20 May 2011 - 11:17 AM

Thank you!

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (2)