• Please log in to reply
14 replies to this topic

#1 poni

poni

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1399 posts
  • Interests:My Wine-garden, drums, pizza making, comics and The Batman...

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:43 AM

hey,
Last year i have had problems with black rot on my concord grapes. I was hoping you could suggest a treatment/program i could use either prior to bud break or when the shoots start to grow. Something that i can get at a lowes, depot or other hardware store.. I don't really want to buy something online and pay out the wazoo unless i have to. I really want to get this under control so i can get a full crop.

I do have something at home, i'll let you know what it is later.. after work...

thanks! Poni

#2 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:22 AM

I did some looking around the web and found a source for Captan here: http://kill-fireants.com/mcart/index.cgi?ID=331286701&PID=IT622&code=13

It looks like they ship to Pennsylvania, and it's only $12.90 for an 8 ounce container. They don't ship to Nebraska where I'm at, so no good for me. I did a search at http://lowes.com and came up empty for "captan" there. Same with Home Depot (although I am boycotting them anyway).

I hope this helps.

-Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

#3 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:26 AM

I found another order site, but it's a "wettable powder", if that makes any difference. http://www.millernurseries.com/cart.php?m=product_detail&p=22

-Bret

#4 poni

poni

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1399 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:46 AM

Thanks bret! I also did a search and came up with captan. That's a big help! I also dislike lowest and home depot...

#5 poni

poni

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1399 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:47 AM

oh BTW. When would I start using this for the black rot? Do I wait until the shoots are at a certain stage in growth or can I spray before bud break? Thanks

#6 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 09:54 AM

oh BTW. When would I start using this for the black rot? Do I wait until the shoots are at a certain stage in growth or can I spray before bud break? Thanks

I can't really say with any expertise or knowledge, but my buds just barely stared getting wooly / swollen, and I plan to spray with either captan or Mancozeb as soon as I can. I think a big part of fungal spraying is early prevention / spraying.

I did spray a few weeks ago with just dormant (paraffinic) oil and a drop of dish soap in water). I think that is supposed to suffocate whatever little creatures are in / around the vines prior to them becoming active, as well as decreasing fungus somewhat.

-Bret

#7 poni

poni

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1399 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 10:53 AM

I can't really say with any expertise or knowledge, but my buds just barely stared getting wooly / swollen, and I plan to spray with either captan or Mancozeb as soon as I can. I think a big part of fungal spraying is early prevention / spraying.

I did spray a few weeks ago with just dormant (paraffinic) oil and a drop of dish soap in water). I think that is supposed to suffocate whatever little creatures are in / around the vines prior to them becoming active, as well as decreasing fungus somewhat.

-Bret

Ok i see. I would like to get as early as a start as i can on this black rot jazz, i am sick of it and i dont want it to spread to the other vines i just planted! Since you are spraying early, maybe i will to. Although have read that you should wait until the shoots are 6-8 inches long and then spray.. but that could be wrong or just particular to that spray.
p

#8 knotsorich

knotsorich

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1981 posts
  • Interests:Growing grapes and making wine.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 11:41 AM

Mancozeb and pencozeb products are very effective against black rot. Control should be at about 2 inch shoots up through cluster closure (berries touching each other). After that the berries are pretty much immune to it. Both mancozeb and pencozeb have about a 66 day PHI (pre harvest interval). Switch to Captan at that point until no longer needed. All these sprays are preventative in nature and need to be present for crop protection so if it rans more than 1-1.5 inches, respray. A week to 10 day schedule works well in the early season so that you are putting material on newly formed leaves, shoots and clusters. None of them are especially expensive but may require certification in some states and areas.
Since you are in PA, use the New york/Penn State guide here:
http://ipmguidelines.org/grapes/
http://ipmguidelines...p#_Toc283121483
http://ipmguidelines...p#_Toc283123095

#9 poni

poni

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1399 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 02:46 PM

Cool, thanks for the links, i will check those out!

#10 mpt1123

mpt1123

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 121 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 03:51 PM

This is my first year with grapevines. I just planted 30 in my backyard. I plan on using products from Bonide since they're readily available from the local Southern States.

http://www.southerns...tree-spray.aspx
http://www.southerns...chTerm=mancozeb

Mike

#11 knotsorich

knotsorich

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1981 posts
  • Interests:Growing grapes and making wine.

Posted 11 April 2011 - 04:55 PM

I have never found the fruit tree spray to be an effective treatment. It doesn't have enough of any one ingredient to work without putting too much product on. You probably won't notice it the first year because the foliage will be sparse anyways. The other one will work better for black rot and a couple other uses. Since the vines won't be bearing yet, you could continue treatment with it all season.

#12 poni

poni

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1399 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:32 PM

I just actually realized i have "fruit tree spray" and i also have spectracide (spelling?.) the spectracide actually covers everything i have growing! Grapes, raspberries, fruit trees etc.. And it says it covers powdery mildew, black rot amongst other diseases. I may go with this, but there is other stuff out there,and i didn't give what knotsorich suggested a try.

Thanks for the help here, i'd like to know what other people around pitsburgh and PA are using.

Thank you!

#13 poni

poni

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1399 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:38 PM

One thing i must add is the vines i am having rot problems with are 30-40+ year old concord vines that are on a long arbor rather than a commercial type trellis. Itspretty cool, it all old looking and the arbor was built with logs rather than post bought fro a lumber yard. (although it will slowly replaced one post at a time because the logs are rotting at ground level) The vines grow up one side and over the arbor and hang over a bit. The canopy is dense too. So along with spraying, i need to figure out canopy Mgmt, I think this would also help. I mean all of the fruit ripens well, but with such a dense canopy it's easy for fungi to grow! I ALSO live atop a hill that is nice and windy, but still the rot persists. I thin controlling this involves multiple practices.

Any words on canopy mgmt. I have some reading to do!

thanks,all!

#14 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15298 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 11 April 2011 - 05:56 PM

Any words on canopy mgmt. I have some reading to do!

Prune! There's a good word to start with! :)
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#15 poni

poni

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1399 posts

Posted 11 April 2011 - 06:53 PM

oh believe me wade I prune, still learning but I totally do. But its just way the trellis arbor is it just get so dense.. maybe I don't remove enough.. eh we'll see. I'll let yall know as time goes on.. thanks for the pear pollination info by the way!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users