• Please log in to reply
32 replies to this topic

#1 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:If it ferments, I'm interested: WINE, yogurt, milk&water kefir, kombucha & vinegar, not big on beer but I do occassionally enjoy it. Collector of ficus carica. Enjoy reading, knitting and would like to learn how to weave.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 10:00 AM

I have decided I want to add some container figs to my "garden". Does anyone on the forum have any cuttings or even plants they would like to sell? Am seeking a variety that is appropriate for a container, I know they exist. Don't have any experience in figs at all, so am at the mercy of the forum. Would be looking for 3-5 cuttings or plants. Thanks so much! Sara
~Sara~ Made 71.5 gallons of wine in 2011--my first year in winemaking & I loved every minute of it!!
Amateur Winemakers Of Louisville: http://www.facebook....37454883025144/

#2 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15299 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 03 April 2011 - 11:24 AM

Sandsquid on here raises all kinds of figs... but I think he's on his way to Afganistan. If you can get ahold of him and he's available, he's a great guy and has given me lots of fig starts... unfortunately I have had no success with figs. I have no survivors.

p.s. did you see my reply in the Planting Question thread in the Grape Growing section? Just wondered.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#3 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts
  • Interests:If it ferments, I'm interested: WINE, yogurt, milk&water kefir, kombucha & vinegar, not big on beer but I do occassionally enjoy it. Collector of ficus carica. Enjoy reading, knitting and would like to learn how to weave.

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:20 PM

Wade...I had just finished reading the info in the Planting Question thread, lots of great info there. I will see if I can track down sandsquid and his fig assistance. When you tried figs what happened? Did you plant in ground or do containers? Apparently our area should be find for a cold hardy variety. Hmmm.... alright, talk at you later!!
~Sara~ Made 71.5 gallons of wine in 2011--my first year in winemaking & I loved every minute of it!!

#4 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15299 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:26 PM

I planted 4 or 5 varieties in the ground. Winter got 'em.

#5 red_feet

red_feet

Making wine since 1966

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2338 posts
  • Location:Ontario, Canada, northwest of Toronto, via Ridgeway, ON
  • Interests:winemaking, photography, canoe tripping, scuba, running, my '96 Yamaha Virago 1100, trucking, guitar

Posted 03 April 2011 - 01:31 PM

I planted 4 or 5 varieties in the ground. Winter got 'em.

I have a friend in Montreal who grows his fig trees in the backyard. In the winter he opens a trench and buries the trees with dirt and straw over them. Montreal gets brutally cold in the winter, but they seem to survive.

Ken wave.gif
bonum vinum laetificat cor hominis (at least I like to think so)

#6 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15299 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 03 April 2011 - 04:05 PM

Some of Sandsquid's figs came from Massachusetts and do fine there. Died here. I think it has to do with how they go into and come out of winter as much as how hard the winter is. But I also think he might insulate his for the winter, and I don't need figs bad enough to wrap them in blankets. If they can't face a Tennessee winter without a down coat I'll plant something that can!

#7 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 03 April 2011 - 07:37 PM

I have decided I want to add some container figs to my "garden". Does anyone on the forum have any cuttings or even plants they would like to sell? Am seeking a variety that is appropriate for a container, I know they exist. Don't have any experience in figs at all, so am at the mercy of the forum. Would be looking for 3-5 cuttings or plants. Thanks so much! Sara

I have two varieties of figs. Figs like a Mediterranean climate, but if you have them in containers, you can bring them into the warmth in the winter, and all will be well. In the ground, if they like where they are, their roots can lift your house! Mine are in containers, and they are the BEST tasting figs on the earth! One is Panachee (tastes better than a strawberry), and the other is Violette du Bordeaux (like raspberry jam)! On the BBQ, they can't be matched. I'll make a baby plant for you off the mother. It will take a couple months, but it's foolproof! I tie a plastic bag over a limb, fill it with damp soil, and tie the top. Then I cover with foil so it's dark in there, and roots grow. One day, when there are enough roots, I just cut the limb, and I have a whole tree!! Simple and easy! My Panachee is too little to be a mama, but Violette du Bordeaux has already had 3 babies! She's a good mama, and her figs are divine!

Suzi

#8 dagobob

dagobob

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Interests:growing dahlias, beer and wine making, gardening, hunting, fishing

Posted 04 April 2011 - 06:40 AM

I have some Petite Negra Figs in containers; that I bring in under my porch during the winter. Cuttings from figs are easier; the trick is to take some nice clean cuts about 6" and wrap/roll in a moist paper towel. Place the bundle in a plastic bag and leave in a warm dark place. In about two weeks carefully unroll the cuttings and they will have roots. Then just place them in quality potting soil and viola', baby fig trees. Its also easier to ship them this way (before they root.) Just make sure that you keep the paper towel moist; and don't mess with them for two weeks. When you do unwrap them; do so carefully, the small young roots are fragile.

Ps, this method doesn't work for elderberry cuttings, those work best if you notch them under each bud and place them directly into potting soil.

2013 Wines:
Noiret; Muscat; Vignoles; Pear/Apple, Zinfandel/Merlot/Cab-Sav Blend; Elderberry; Blackberry/Elderberry;

#9 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:22 AM

Suzi: I greatly appreciate any plant assistance I can get. Is the Violette de Bourdeaux also called the Negronne? Both of your varieties sound wonderful!! Would love to get baby plants from you when they are ready, sending you a PM. Once I get some plants established I will send you a list of what I have and if there is anything I can do in return--just say the word! The method you use, is that called air layering?

Dagobob: thanks for your rooting method also. Do you use wax or anything to keep the upper portion of the cutting somewhat sealed/protected?

Found a good forum, http://figs4funforum.websitetoolbox.com/ very interesting info too!

Thanks! Sara

#10 dagobob

dagobob

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2028 posts
  • Interests:growing dahlias, beer and wine making, gardening, hunting, fishing

Posted 04 April 2011 - 07:35 AM

Suzi: I greatly appreciate any plant assistance I can get. Is the Violette de Bourdeaux also called the Negronne? Both of your varieties sound wonderful!! Would love to get baby plants from you when they are ready, sending you a PM. Once I get some plants established I will send you a list of what I have and if there is anything I can do in return--just say the word! The method you use, is that called air layering?

Dagobob: thanks for your rooting method also. Do you use wax or anything to keep the upper portion of the cutting somewhat sealed/protected?

Found a good forum, http://figs4funforum...itetoolbox.com/ very interesting info too!

Thanks! Sara

Sara,
There is no need to use wax with my method; the moist paper towel keeps the whole cutting protected and the plastic bag keeps the paper towel from drying out. This method works very well; although sometimes a plant will just up and die after its rooted and transplanted, but not often.
If I was more reliable; I would offer to send you some cuttings; but between working late; and traveling and the dozen other hobbies (especially this time of year) that I have..... well let's just say, some things don't always get done timely.... :wacko:

2013 Wines:
Noiret; Muscat; Vignoles; Pear/Apple, Zinfandel/Merlot/Cab-Sav Blend; Elderberry; Blackberry/Elderberry;

#11 DinoL

DinoL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 04 April 2011 - 05:00 PM

Sara: I've got two trees in containers here in CT, a Black Jack and a Peter's Honey (one black and one green). They're wintering in the garage. When I get the chance I'll take a look and see what's available for cuttings if you're interested. You'll love 'em. There's nothing like figs right off the tree.
Mike

#12 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 08:51 AM

Mike....THANK YOU. The Black Jack and Peter's Honey are two variety that I keep looking at. I would be honored to accept cuttings from you, if and when you have any time. Just shoot me a PM if/when you get to that point. Will gladly cover shipping, whatever is necessary.

Dagobob...Thanks for the update on the rooting technique and appreciate the willingness to help with cuttings, but we can only do what we can do. Also good to know how I can increase my elderberry population. Am hoping my 2 shrubs survive as the DEER ate all the limbs off, right now I have 2 three foot STICKS in the ground. They look like they are bouncing back though, as I swear I see new limbs trying to form, I think they call them initials?? I am going to put cages around them, and my hairdresser is giving me all the hair from her shop. It works to keep the deer off of patches of newly planted grass, so I figured I would try it with my plants too!

This adventure is going to be FUN FUN FUN!!

#13 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 05 April 2011 - 12:19 PM

Found a good forum, http://figs4funforum...itetoolbox.com/ very interesting info too!

Thanks! Sara

Yes, figs4funforum is to fig growers what winepress.us is to wine growers and wine makers! Glad you found it! There might be locals around you that will give you access to figs too. I sent you a PM with my email. I'll start your baby tree this week.

I'm busy right now getting my rentals ready for Coachella Festival in Indio, CA. We live close to it, and 80,000 rock and roll band fans attend, so taking advantage of the captive audience.

Suzi

#14 saramc

saramc

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1433 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 02:03 PM

Thanks Suzi! No rush. I have found one local member thus far on F4F. The forum members there are most helpful, just like on this forum!! Have fun getting your rentals ready for the Indio rock-n-rollers! Email sent.

#15 DinoL

DinoL

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts

Posted 05 April 2011 - 03:46 PM

[quote name='saramc' date='05 April 2011 - 11:23 AM' timestamp='1302016984' post='1058202368']
Mike....THANK YOU. The Black Jack and Peter's Honey are two variety that I keep looking at. I would be honored to accept cuttings from you, if and when you have any time. Just shoot me a PM if/when you get to that point. Will gladly cover shipping, whatever is necessary.ara:

Sara: Those two varieties are delicious. No problems about shipping. The trees are still covered up and insulated in the garage, I should be able to dig 'em out this coming weekend and make some cuttings. Its still too early to take them outside yet, we're still getting frost from time to time. I just have to check Figforum to make sure I'm doing the cuttings correctly. I'll let ya know....Mike

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users