• Please log in to reply
9 replies to this topic

#1 wrpopp

wrpopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 11:35 AM

I started a 3 gallon batch of Victory Blackberry wine on March 7th. The starting specific gravity was 1.092. On March 16th, I racked the wine into the secondary fermenter and checked the specific gravity. It was at .990. I want this to be a dry wine, but is .990 to low at this stage? I'm worried about ending up with a 3 gallon batch of blackberry vinegar. Any help will be appreciated.

#2 cutter

cutter

Addicted to WinePress & Skeeter Pee

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2218 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making
    Wine Drinking
    Music Listening
    Reading

Posted 17 March 2011 - 12:59 PM

An ending SG of .990 is not too low. It is just right for a dry wine. It won't turn to vinegar because all of the sugar that the vinegar bacteria need to make vinegar has been converted to alcohol. Of course I am assuming that you sanitized your equipment and used some Kmeta in the must to keep the vinegar bacteria out of it in the first place.
Juan

In order to know virtue, we must first acquaint ourselves with vice.
I raise my glass to ideas lost, on foggy nights, when no one listened - Jack Keller

#3 wrpopp

wrpopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 01:23 PM

An ending SG of .990 is not too low. It is just right for a dry wine. It won't turn to vinegar because all of the sugar that the vinegar bacteria need to make vinegar has been converted to alcohol. Of course I am assuming that you sanitized your equipment and used some Kmeta in the must to keep the vinegar bacteria out of it in the first place.

Thank you, Cutter. I added 2 crushed Campden tablets to the must 24 hours before adding the yeast, and I always sanitize my equipment with OneStep sanitizer.

#4 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15876 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 17 March 2011 - 07:33 PM

.990 is perfect! S.G and vinegar aren't directly related. Sugar does not convert to vinegar; alcohol does.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#5 wrpopp

wrpopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:08 PM

.990 is perfect! S.G and vinegar aren't directly related. Sugar does not convert to vinegar; alcohol does.

Thanks Colonel,
What actually causes the alcohol to convert to vinegar? Is it oxidation?

#6 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15876 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 17 March 2011 - 08:41 PM

No, it's acitober bacteria... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

#7 Steve mead

Steve mead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 18 March 2011 - 08:59 AM

No, it's acitober bacteria... someone correct me if I'm wrong.

Close enough, Wade. Actually it's acetobactor. It converts (ferments) alcohol into acetic acid.

#8 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15876 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:01 PM

Thanks, Steve, 3 glasses of Blackberry Wine and I forgot a few letters! lmao.gif Go figure!
WR, May I suggest a little $3 book, Enjoy Home Winemaking by Frist that helped me a lot in understanding the whole process. You can find it online. Lots of general recipes etc. in it as well.
Best of luck!

#9 wrpopp

wrpopp

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:17 PM

Thanks, Steve, 3 glasses of Blackberry Wine and I forgot a few letters! lmao.gif Go figure!
WR, May I suggest a little $3 book, Enjoy Home Winemaking by Frist that helped me a lot in understanding the whole process. You can find it online. Lots of general recipes etc. in it as well.
Best of luck!

Thanks again, Colonel! I found it at Amazon for $4.00 and placed my order. I purchased "The Joy of Home Winemaking" several years ago and that is also a very good book with lots of useful info, but it is nice to have a forum such as this one to get advice from those who are willing to share what they've learned.

#10 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 26 March 2011 - 06:04 AM

There is a family called Glucobacter which can oxidize glucose direct into acetic acid.
cool ha?

0.990 is as low is it can be, 0 gr\L of simple sugars, dry as a dessert river bed in the summer time.
My advice may or may not be backed by actually personal expirience and should be treated as such. :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users