White Stuff Floating On Top Of Cab In Carboy

• Please log in to reply
13 replies to this topic

#1 Steve Atwood

Steve Atwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
  • Interests:Wine, Wine and more Wine.....
    Play drums in " Retrospect" a 60's,70's and 80's Classic rock band based in Hollister California

Posted 12 March 2011 - 01:19 PM

i all, I have some 2010 cab brewing in carboy's., I am about to rack. One of the carboys has some white crap at the bottom of the mouth and floating on the top. i did a taste test and smelled it. it tastes okay and smells like the others. Should I be concerned? I am going to keep it separate from the rest of the carboy's just in case. Thanks for all the advice Steve A

#2 bzac

bzac

The Grape Botherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6449 posts
  • Interests:Wine,Motorcycles, Guitars, Sailboats and my patient wife Julie

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:12 PM

i all, I have some 2010 cab brewing in carboy's., I am about to rack. One of the carboys has some white crap at the bottom of the mouth and floating on the top. i did a taste test and smelled it. it tastes okay and smells like the others. Should I be concerned? I am going to keep it separate from the rest of the carboy's just in case. Thanks for all the advice Steve A

sounds like mycoderma , flowers of wine , a spoilage organism surface yeast , very common problem , caused by too much headspace combined with too little so2 .
if you can filter the wine do that and add 1/2 tsp of kmeta to the carboy of filtered wine.
if you can't filter just rack the wine leaving the scum behind and the add the metabisulfite to the racked and topped up wine.

probably a good idea to add 1/2 tsp kmeta to all the other carboys after you rack them and ensure they are all topped up, minimising headspace.
Above all relax , it's winemaking ,it's not supposed to be stressfull . It's not sky diving.

Zac Brown

#3 surlees

surlees

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 773 posts

Posted 12 March 2011 - 02:41 PM

Agree with Zac.

Fred

#4 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5420 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 12 March 2011 - 03:00 PM

Use a paper towel to absorb all of the floating stuff before you rack and wipe the inner part of the neck (they tend to be a little "oily" and stick to the glass).

If I were into tatoos... I would tatoo some grapes on my forarm. :P

#5 bzac

bzac

The Grape Botherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6449 posts

Posted 13 March 2011 - 01:22 AM

not a bad idea , sucking it off the surface with a turkey baster is a good tip too
Above all relax , it's winemaking ,it's not supposed to be stressfull . It's not sky diving.

Zac Brown

#6 Steve Atwood

Steve Atwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts
    Play drums in " Retrospect" a 60's,70's and 80's Classic rock band based in Hollister California

Posted 14 March 2011 - 10:44 AM

I am hoping I caught this in time. i did syphon off and racked adding the S02. Does anyone know how long it should take to see the results (meaning if I didnt catch in time) and what happens to my barrel if I put this in and it comes back.
Thanks for all your help Steve

#7 bzac

bzac

The Grape Botherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6449 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 11:22 AM

keep your So2 up and the barrel topped up and it won't come back. mycoderma is very sensitive to sulfite

Zac Brown

#8 Steve Atwood

Steve Atwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 14 March 2011 - 01:47 PM

Thank you for all of the advise, I will sleep better tonight. I have one more question. I did run the wine thru my pump after I syphoned off the bad on the top..Can anyone recommed a good food grade cleaner that wont eat the parts to make sure I can get rid of it? Or after months will it die on its own.. Steve

#9 Steve Atwood

Steve Atwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 April 2011 - 06:17 PM

Well seems like i didn't catch it in time and I am really bummed.... I guess no wine for 2010. I did use my pump and know that it too should be contaminated. I bought some b-brite to clean the carboys.From what i have read it should do the trick.. I'm not sure how to go about making sure that that stuff is out of my pump. Will running it through a few times with b-brite get rid of anything inside? Should I toss the pump and buy new one? Thanks Steve

#10 Earley

Earley

• Members
  • Pip
  • 27 posts
  • Interests:Wine Making and Woodworking

Posted 19 April 2011 - 09:58 PM

Hi Steve
Your not alone that was my big learning experience last year. I trashed some of my Petite Sirah in my carboy last year, same problem.
I followed Zacs advice this year keeping the head space to non existent and and the So2 up, that was the key.
Take Care
Greg
Grapes from Lodi
15 gallons Petite Sirah
30 gallons Petite Verdot

#11 bzac

bzac

The Grape Botherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6449 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 06:11 AM

Well seems like i didn't catch it in time and I am really bummed.... I guess no wine for 2010. I did use my pump and know that it too should be contaminated. I bought some b-brite to clean the carboys.From what i have read it should do the trick.. I'm not sure how to go about making sure that that stuff is out of my pump. Will running it through a few times with b-brite get rid of anything inside? Should I toss the pump and buy new one? Thanks Steve

just rune the b brite or a strong sulfite solution through it , its not hard to kill.

did the film grow on the wine again? rack it gently and give it a big bump of so2 before tossing it out.

what does the wine taste like?

Zac Brown

#12 Steve Atwood

Steve Atwood

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 133 posts

Posted 20 April 2011 - 12:08 PM

Hi
Yes, it did form on the top again. I guess I dont have anything to lose at this point with trying to save it again provided it tastes okay. I will take off the stuff on the top of them and taste it. It took about 6 weeks for it to come back and Not sure it is any good tho. I almost would rather toss it and not contaminate my barrel. Being a rather new home wine maker, I did see the stuff forming on one of the carboys during malo, thought it might of been just due to the second fermentation. It has been a learning experience. I do have my 2009 Cab still in the barrel and seems like it is doing fine...

On another note. It hasnt reached that finish that I would like and really dont know how to improve that..are there additives to help with such an thing?

Thanks for everyone's imput. It is much appreciated.

Steve

#13 Ibis16

Ibis16

• Members
  • Pip
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Rockets and Wine

Posted 25 April 2011 - 09:04 PM

Zac,
What micron size would you recommend for filtering?
"Research is what I'm doing when I don't know what I'm doing."
Werner von Braun

#14 bzac

bzac

The Grape Botherer

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6449 posts

Posted 27 April 2011 - 11:09 AM

weird that it came back with a small headspace and increased so2 , only thin I can think of is either you ph is very high and you need higher so2 or you kmeta is old and ineffective. what form of so2 did you use?

as for filtering , 1 micron or smaller .45 is better . main thing is to keep headspace low and so2 up.

Zac Brown

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users