• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16263 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 05 March 2011 - 12:18 PM

I have about 20 gallons of Traminette ready to bottle. It's tart, crisp, pretty good. But I'm not much of a white wine drinker. So I'd like the advice of those who are. Will a little sugar decrease that nice crispness and ruin the wine? It's very dry right now. I like dry reds, but just not sure what I should do with this.

All advice appreciated! :) I'll bottle in the next hour or two one way or the other.

Also, I'm adding about 1/4 tsp K-Meta to 5 gallons. Should this inhibit a spontaneous MLF in the bottles, or should I use Lysozyme even if not sweetening?

Thanks!
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#2 running wolf

running wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 595 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, gardening, Wine Making, Rock Collecting

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:08 PM

Wade I sweetened mine to about 1.00 after I added a 1/4 tsp of k-meta and 3tsp of sorbate for 6 six gallons. I think this is a good white for semi-dry.
Running Wolf Wine Cellar
Edinboro, Pa.

#3 Truman

Truman

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:making wine, fishing, sporting events, my grandchildren

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:09 PM

I have about 20 gallons of Traminette ready to bottle. It's tart, crisp, pretty good. But I'm not much of a white wine drinker. So I'd like the advice of those who are. Will a little sugar decrease that nice crispness and ruin the wine? It's very dry right now. I like dry reds, but just not sure what I should do with this.

All advice appreciated! Posted Image I'll bottle in the next hour or two one way or the other.

Also, I'm adding about 1/4 tsp K-Meta to 5 gallons. Should this inhibit a spontaneous MLF in the bottles, or should I use Lysozyme even if not sweetening?

Thanks!

Hi Wade,

I've never made Traminette and it sounds goood just the way it is but with 20 gallons of course you can experiment. I think just a little sweetness, maybe 1.002-3, would enhance the flavor and not really be sweet. I don't know about the MLF but I would think adequate S02 would take care of it but you could add Lysozyme for insurance.

Cheers,
Truman "maker of mountain wine"

#4 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16263 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:28 PM

Thanks Truman and Running Wolf.
You helped me decide: Half will be bottled dry, half with 3 cups sugar to 5 gallons...I'll see what the s.g. of that is in a bit, based it on taste tests. I think I'll add lysozyme too. Some surprises are a pain and mlf in a bottle certainly would be!
Thanks again!

#5 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4123 posts

Posted 05 March 2011 - 01:40 PM

With the 5 gallons you're sweetening, make sure you add potassium sorbate - necessary to prevent fermentation from re-starting if you don't have sterile filtration. Also, you may want to raise your K-meta addition to 3/8 tsp / 5 gallons. Finally, 3 cups may be too sweet for your tastes. I usually sweeten similar wines with between 1-1/4 to 1-1/2 cups. Do some bench trials for sweetness. You'll also want to wait about 6-8 weeks after bottling.
Howie Hart

#6 Bill Frazier

Bill Frazier

amateur winemaker & grape grower

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1038 posts
  • Interests:growing grapes
    Chateau Bill Wines
    beer making
    laboratory testing
    amateur wine judging
    KC Cellarmasters

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:31 AM

"I have about 20 gallons of Traminette ready to bottle. It's tart, crisp, pretty good. But I'm not much of a white wine drinker. So I'd like the advice of those who are. Will a little sugar decrease that nice crispness and ruin the wine? It's very dry right now. I like dry reds, but just not sure what I should do with this."

Wade - What did you end up doing? I usually bottle dry but am planning on a slight sweetening to Vidal this year...just to take the edge off the wine.
Bill Frazier

"My favorite shots are the practice swing
and the conceded putt. The rest can never
be mastered" ~ Lord Robertson

#7 Woods Wine

Woods Wine

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 444 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 10:53 AM

I make a very dry wine from my Traminette grapes. I know it's all a personal perspective, but I really have grown fond of an ice cold glass of Tram (or two) during the hot summer days. It has a nice citrus finish, I find it something like a lime zest finish. I never used to drink whites, but I now have about 33 vines of Tram, just to mix things up. I found that a lot of my friends like white during the summer, so I tried to have some available, and I ended up liking it myself. Anyway, I vote for an ice cold Tram, bone dry... very refreshing.. By the way, I have gotten it up to ~19% alcohol... you have to wear a seat belt on the deck chair when you drink that stuff! C'mon summer!!!!!!!!!!

Ed Kwiek

Woods Wine LLC - Backyard Vineyard and Home Winery Consulting

Providing education and hands-on assistance regarding vineyard and winery design, installation, operation, and maintenance.

Hands-on support experience in the following Regions: Finger Lakes, Hudson Valley, Thousand Islands, and Western NY. Skype anywhere.

Visit http://www.WoodsWine.com or call/text (585)730-2681 for more information.

#8 K-9

K-9

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2189 posts

Posted 06 March 2011 - 11:44 AM

you have to wear a seat belt on the deck chair when you drink that stuff! C'mon summer!!!!!!!!!!

That is funny!

#9 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16263 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 06 March 2011 - 12:51 PM

Wade - What did you end up doing? I usually bottle dry but am planning on a slight sweetening to Vidal this year...just to take the edge off the wine.

We bottled 10 gallons completely dry and added 3cups sugar per 5 gallons to the other 10 gallons. I don't know which I like best, they're both pretty good.
I'll look forward to trying both ice cold this Summer! Sitting down, of course! :)

#10 FishProTrout2

FishProTrout2

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Flyfishing

Posted 06 March 2011 - 08:36 PM

We bottled 10 gallons completely dry and added 3cups sugar per 5 gallons to the other 10 gallons. I don't know which I like best, they're both pretty good.
I'll look forward to trying both ice cold this Summer! Sitting down, of course! :)

I think your three cups for 5 gallons might have been a bit over overkill, I added 1.5 cups in a 6 gallon carboy and got about 1% residual, which puts a nice soft, of-dry essence. Never had Tram bone dry. God luck.
No whine before its thyme.

#11 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16263 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 06 March 2011 - 09:44 PM

We tried it with 1.5 and preferred 3. Normally I prefer dry.

#12 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 16263 posts
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 25 March 2011 - 10:07 PM

Tonight I prefer it dry! Nice! smileytoast.gif smileytoast.gif

#13 Truman

Truman

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 485 posts
  • Interests:making wine, fishing, sporting events, my grandchildren

Posted 26 March 2011 - 10:30 AM

Tonight I prefer it dry! Nice! smileytoast.gif" /> smileytoast.gif" />

Wade,

I really enjoyed both your dry Traminette and Dave's semi-sweet Traminette. The aroma is wonderful and has made me want to make some this year. Well, I guess another row of grapes wouldn't hurt anything!!smileytoast.gif" />
Truman "maker of mountain wine"

#14 Cana Springs

Cana Springs

• Members
  • Pip
  • 79 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, computers, grape growing and now winemaking!

Posted 26 March 2011 - 05:44 PM

Wade,

Traminette is one of our main grapes here and we think it makes a very nice wine either dry or sweet. We have had it anywhere from bone dry to pretty darned sweet and have to say it is one of our favorite white wines period. I hope you enjoy yours.

Dennis and Kay
Dennis and Kay McDonald

Owners of Cana Springs Vineyard
Payson, IL

Currently growing Concord, Chambourcin, Norton, Traminette, Cayuga, Dornfelder, Chardonnay, Petit Manseng, Viognier ,Malbec and petit verdot.
We now have about 2 acres planted and harvested our first crop last year (Woohoo).
I've got 14 years to learn winemaking so I can retire and open a winery.

Currently have:
5gal of peach aging in bottles
1/2 gal of persimmon aging
6 gal of apricot ready to bottle
1 gal of concord ready to bottle
6 gal of viognier ready to bottle
6 gal of amarone ready to bottle
22 bottles left of our first Chambourcin from our vineyard. (It is excellent by the way)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users