• Please log in to reply
4 replies to this topic

#1 lord1

lord1

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 03:38 AM

I have a riesling that appears to have gum arabic. even after tight DE filtration it is clogging the .8 and .45 membrane filters. How do I remove it so it will pass thru the membranes??

#2 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15781 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:20 AM

Welcome to the Forum!
Did you add gum arabic to the wine? I wasn't aware it could get there without adding it. I've read it adds softness and roundness to a wine and is used a lot in commercial wines, and that it's an additive.
How old is the wine?
Please explain DE filtration too, I'm not familiar with it.
Sorry for all the questions. Someone will have answers soon. :)
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#3 Howie

Howie

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4057 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 05:51 AM

To answer Wade's question, DE is Diatomaceous Earth, commonly used in swimming pool filters, but is often used to filter wines. It is a neutral, granular product that is used to coat a coarse membrane, usually by circulating a stirred up slurry of DE through a filter. The coating of DE then traps fine particles in the wine. Normally, the wine is circulated back to the original container until the wine flows clear, then transferred to a receiving vessel. I've used this technique with my minijet, using coffee filters cut to size as the coarse membrane. It works well for a coarse filtration and is much less expensive than buying filter pads. Often I will use a fine filter pad after the DE filtration. I posted about this some time ago - here is a link: http://www.winepress...ileters-and-de/ .
I know nothing about gum arabic, but there was a recent thread on the subject here: http://www.winepress...45681-arabinol/ .

Howie Hart

#4 DoghouseCellars

DoghouseCellars

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 280 posts

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:20 AM

I am a little confused by this. Most of the gum arabic descriptions say that the product is highly soluble and it will pass filters down to .45 microns. I would maybe wonder if something else is clogging the filters.

#5 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 11 February 2011 - 10:56 AM

You cant remove or fine it out,
Who ever added it must have used a lower filterbility type\quality for food industry not wine which pre filter the GA so it doesnt clog sterile filtration processing.

If it has residual sugar you may have to use sorbate or keep back flushing the filter every time they jam which I can only imagine how tidious it can be.

Why did he add it anyhow? Riestilng tends to have enough body\mouth even dry.
My advice may or may not be backed by actually personal expirience and should be treated as such. :)

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users