• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#1 rumpole

rumpole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 12:36 PM

I am taking the next step up and buying my own press rather than seasonal rental. I have been talking to both small commercial winemakers and watching this board. Most of the small commercial winemakers seem to favor a basket press and recommend a SS basket press. These small commercial winemakers didn't like the bladder presses for red wines. I have seen favorable comments on hydro bladder presses on this board. Comments and suggestions. Type & size? I will be doing 600-1400 lbs of grapes (all or 90% red) over the next couple of years with a possible increase of amount thereafter.

#2 Joel

Joel

Amateur Wine Maker & Grape Grower

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10753 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 02:45 PM

You have a lot of wine to make there with 1,000 lbs of grapes. I have a SS bladder press. I'm not sure of the size, but I think it was simply fantastic to use. I really enjoyed it. I guess that a basket press would be easier to get the "brick" out when you're done. I wouldn't trade my bladder press for anything. (well, not that I can think of right now) tongue.gif

Now Available "Introduction to Winemaking" DVD!!! Click here to learn more
Posted Image

#3 HonkingGooseWine

HonkingGooseWine

Napa is for Car Parts!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1640 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 03:06 PM

I have a standard oak basket ratchet press #45. It works great easy to cleanup and works great for reds. I do small batches and several 1000 lb. batches each year. For reds I can usually take two presses to do a 1000 lb batch. I have had a little problem pressing some whites as the berries seam slimy ( push out the cracks and around the top) and require that I re-press the pumace to get all the juice. This year if I do another big white batch I'm going to use rice hulls to help in the pressing.

Frank
HonkingGoose Vineyard and Winery
Sonoma, California

#4 Brad B.

Brad B.

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1048 posts

Posted 21 March 2005 - 09:23 PM

QUOTE (rumpole @ Mar 21 2005, 01:08 PM)
I am taking the next step up and buying my own press rather than seasonal rental.  I have been talking to both small commercial winemakers and watching this board.  Most of the small commercial winemakers seem to favor a basket press and recommend a SS basket press.  These small commercial winemakers didn't like the bladder presses for red wines.  I have seen favorable comments on hydro bladder presses on this board.  Comments and suggestions.  Type & size?  I will be doing 600-1400 lbs of grapes (all or 90% red) over the next couple of years with a possible increase of amount thereafter.

When you say SS basket press, do you mean ratchet or electric/hydraulic? In terms of ease of use, yield, and cost that can make a big difference.

Also, did the commercial guys say WHY they preferred the basket press for reds? There seem to be as many different opinions on this as there are winemakers. More often than not the opinion is directly correlated to the amount of money they spent on their equipment. Most people won't admit they spent a ton of money on a unit that results in no measurable effect on their wine quality. Beware of the "flavor of the day."
It takes a lot of beer to make good wine...

What is the current temperature and humidity in my wine cellar/barrel room? Click here

#5 rumpole

rumpole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 22 March 2005 - 08:27 AM

I am looking at the ratchet SS basket press. The small commercial winemakers (all having award winning wines) felt the basket press for reds was both effective, easy on the seeds, and "traditional". SS was easiest to clean and maintain. The downside of the basket was for the slimy whites and the mess it left outside the basket.

#6 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 22 March 2005 - 01:32 PM

Joel, is standard house water pressure enough for that press? I think I have about 40psi here.

Thanks, Glenvall

wave.gif
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

My name is Sikki Lee and I approved this message !

#7 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking and wine tasting-judging, Kiteboarding, flyfishing, RC airplanes

Posted 24 March 2005 - 06:53 PM

I would recommend a bladder press over a ratchet press anytime. There are much faster, effortless, easy to clean, can't overpress, give more wine. The Joel's press is a 40 L size and you should get a 80L size as a minimum for your production. Standard house water pressure are more than enough. You only need 3 bar. I use a 80 L bladder press and I handle around 1500 pounds of grapes with it and it work wonderfull. The next size after the 80 L is a 160 L and it will probably be too big for your need. For proper use, the press need to be almost completely full. However, you can simply inflate the bladder before filling it with the grapes when you don't have enough grapes for a full load.
Sébastien Mailloux
Certified Wine Judge, WJC
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#8 rumpole

rumpole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 24 May 2005 - 04:46 PM

Thanks to all. After a recent back injury, I have reconsidered the value of the easy (and weight) of the bladder press and will be buying the 80L bladder press for the 1500 lbs of grapes I will do this year. Seb, did yours come with a nylon liner? Did you buy an extra bladder (and have you had to replace it yet)? Who is the manufacturer of your bladder press.

#9 Vinmaker

Vinmaker

Winemaker

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 7129 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 06:13 AM

Rumpole,

Where did you end up getting your Bladder press? Internet?

Happily Winemaking.

Waiting for the 2013 Harvest!

#10 rumpole

rumpole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:25 PM

Vinmaker, I am getting the 80L bladder press from a winery supply store out of McMinnville, OR. No tax and w/i driving distance to pick up press to avoid the KILLER shipping costs on wine presses.

#11 Seb

Seb

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4244 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking and wine tasting-judging, Kiteboarding, flyfishing, RC airplanes

Posted 25 May 2005 - 05:40 PM

QUOTE (rumpole @ May 24 2005, 05:18 PM)
Seb, did yours come with a nylon liner? Did you buy an extra bladder (and have you had to replace it yet)? Who is the manufacturer of your bladder press.

Yes, it comes with a green nylon mesh bag and also an outside bag to protect the wine from splashing everywhere. I did not buy a spare bladder. The manufacturer is : ENOTECNICA PILLAN in Italy. You can see an online manual if you want : http://www.stpats.co...pressmanual.pdf
Sébastien Mailloux
Certified Wine Judge, WJC
Consultant Winemaker
Domaine & Vins Gélinas
www.domainegelinas.com

#12 stevec

stevec

Idiot Savant (or perhaps just idiot)

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 4591 posts

Posted 25 May 2005 - 08:15 PM

I've got the same unit in 10 gallon. It's worth every cent I paid for it plus some.

You might consider doing what I did when I bought mine. I got the best price I could find (including shipping) on the web, and went to my local brewshop guy with the details. I asked him if he could match the price (excluding sales tax) and if so, I would order it through him. He did it. So he was able to make a few pennies, and I got what I wanted within 2 weeks.

Gotta support your local retailer when you can. God knows how lucky I've been when I needed another carboy or two while pressing grapes...and the shop was open for business.

Steve
With, without
And who'll deny that's what the fighting's all about

#13 geolofisto

geolofisto

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 941 posts
  • Interests:Remodeling, hiking, cute grandkids, motorcycling, and of course wines and vines.

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:39 AM

I just checked WineWineandMore Wine, and they have an 80 liter on sale for $940 w/free shipping.

http://www.morebeer....grape_press.htm

They're nice folks to deal with, too.
I was......misinformed. (R. Blaine, 1942)

Alan T., maker of fine red wines, and an occasional stinkin' white!

#14 Jay-CastleRock

Jay-CastleRock

Concetta Cellars

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:48 AM

I took advantage of More Beers preseason sale and bought my commercial equipment from them. Great folks.
Auguri,
Jay / Concetta Cellars - Traditionally crafted premium wines.

- This post is an original and crafted piece of expression. Any variations of grammar and spelling from the generally accepted norm accentuate it’s individuality and uniqueness.

#15 rumpole

rumpole

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 120 posts

Posted 27 May 2005 - 09:50 AM

Geolofisto,

These guys are good folks and very helpful. However, I think the price you found was the "pre-order sale" price and an item as heavy as these presses must be freight shipped, so the free shipping doesn't apply.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users