(1) 15 oz can of "Oregon Fruit Products" Blackberries in Light Syrup
(1) 15 oz can of "Oregon Fruit Products" Red Raspberries in heavy Syrup
(1) 8 oz can of "Dole" crushed Pineapple
4 oz Hershey Cocoa
1/8 tsp tannin
2-1/4 tsp Acid Blend
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
Lalvin 71B

First I brought the honey & a couple of quarts of water to boil, and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Then I cooled the mix, strained the berries, and added the juice/syrup to the honey water mix. Before I added the cocoa, I added water until the SG was 1095, which came to just under 2 gallons. When I added the cocoa, the SG seemed to drop just a bit.

I placed the fruit into a mesh bag, and added to the primary.

Any thoughts on what I should have done differently? Or do you think it's going to be SPECTACULAR?
Allen Brown
http:\\www.IndyBlueprints.com
http:\www.UBuildItIndy.com

#2 TheJack

TheJack

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 09:52 AM

I've been wanting to make a chocolate mead for a while, and this is what I did:

4# Clover Honey
(1) 15 oz can of "Oregon Fruit Products" Blackberries in Light Syrup
(1) 15 oz can of "Oregon Fruit Products" Red Raspberries in heavy Syrup
(1) 8 oz can of "Dole" crushed Pineapple
4 oz Hershey Cocoa
1/8 tsp tannin
2-1/4 tsp Acid Blend
1 tsp Pectic Enzyme
Lalvin 71B

First I brought the honey & a couple of quarts of water to boil, and let simmer for about 20 minutes. Then I cooled the mix, strained the berries, and added the juice/syrup to the honey water mix. Before I added the cocoa, I added water until the SG was 1095, which came to just under 2 gallons. When I added the cocoa, the SG seemed to drop just a bit.

I placed the fruit into a mesh bag, and added to the primary.

Any thoughts on what I should have done differently? Or do you think it's going to be SPECTACULAR?

I see this was over a year ago, any feedback on how this turned out? Hershey's cocoa in 4oz? Was this the chocolate syrup stuff? Just curious, I've never seen anyone measure powders by oz's... I would be a little worried that the fruit would over take the chocolate, but I'm definately no expert.

#3 Allen B

Allen B

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 15 December 2010 - 12:25 PM

Actually, it's only been about 3-1/2 weeks, but thanks for asking. smileytoast.gif I bought an 8 oz can of Hershey's cocoa powder and used half the can by sight.

It is in the seconday now, so too early to tell the results.

And by the way, Welcome to the forum! smileycheers.gif
Allen Brown

#4 Juniper Hill

Juniper Hill

Elegant Fruitbomb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1480 posts
  • Interests:Wine, family and friends, Brewing, nature, fruit growing.

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:32 AM

Chocolate Mead sounds like a really interesting project. What sort of aromatic and flavour profile are you going for? Will you backsweeten? Role for oak?

Juniper Hill Cellars - Vinifera, Hybrid and Mead Wines

Juniper Hill Brewery - All Grain since 2012

Fermenting:

Elderflower Wine

Elderflower Metheglyn

Cream Ale

Currently Growing:

Grapes, Elderberries, Haskap, Hops

#5 Allen B

Allen B

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 06:41 AM

I don't know enough about aromatic and flavour profiles, to shoot for a particular one. I am pretty sure I will back sweeten it, but that determination will come later, after I taste it. I have never oaked a mead before. Does that typically benefit a mead?
Allen Brown

#6 Juniper Hill

Juniper Hill

Elegant Fruitbomb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1480 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 07:09 AM

I'm am bit of a mead newby myself (4 batches to date). I've been gently oaking a blueberry melomel, but it's way to early to see how that is going to turn out (it's still in the secondary). Apparently blueberry and oak can go well together.

I'm toying with the idea of getting a 5 gallon barrel for mead and port, hence my interest in oak. I'm not sure which types of mead will benefit from it, although I guess it would ultimately depend on the toast level and how old the barrel is. I've read that barrel aged mead is supposed to be out of this world good.

My question about oak and the chocolate mead has to do with the chocolate/cocoa profiles sometimes mentioned with toasted oak. I'm not sure if these would complement actual cocoa, or be completely lost in the mix (I suspect it will be lost).

A backsweetened chocolate mead sounds pretty tasty.

Cheers!

Neil

Fermenting:

Elderflower Wine

Elderflower Metheglyn

Cream Ale

Currently Growing:

#7 Steve mead

Steve mead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 10:22 AM

Allen, I hope your mead turns out well, but I'm afraid that the flavor profile may be a bit muddled. The fruits you added make wonderful melomels individually, but I'm afraid the raspberry will overpower the blackberry which already overpowered the pineapple. Here's what I do (and I've won many many awards for mead): Ferment a base mead. If fruit is desired it is added in the secondary. After the mead is racked from the fruit taste for fruit flavor and sweetness and adjust accordingly. Add Hershey's chocolate syrup to taste (8 oz. per gallon works well for me). The geletgeletin in the syrup seems to act as a fining agent. The mead will drop clear within 48 hours. The ladies just love plain chocolate. They call it liquid panty remover.

#8 Juniper Hill

Juniper Hill

Elegant Fruitbomb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1480 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 11:52 AM

Allen, I hope your mead turns out well, but I'm afraid that the flavor profile may be a bit muddled. The fruits you added make wonderful melomels individually, but I'm afraid the raspberry will overpower the blackberry which already overpowered the pineapple. Here's what I do (and I've won many many awards for mead): Ferment a base mead. If fruit is desired it is added in the secondary. After the mead is racked from the fruit taste for fruit flavor and sweetness and adjust accordingly. Add Hershey's chocolate syrup to taste (8 oz. per gallon works well for me). The geletgeletin in the syrup seems to act as a fining agent. The mead will drop clear within 48 hours. The ladies just love plain chocolate. They call it liquid panty remover.

Excellent. I knew there had be another good reason to make mead!

Fermenting:

Elderflower Wine

Elderflower Metheglyn

Cream Ale

Currently Growing:

#9 Allen B

Allen B

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 16 December 2010 - 01:00 PM

Hi Steve, sounds interesting.

So you are saying a straight chocolate mead? I have 32# of clover honey, so I am dying to make some more mead. Do you have a recipe for a straight chocolate mead you could share?

If not, then a few questions;
How much honey per gallon, or do you shoot for a particular SG?
What yeast would you use?

Thanks!
Allen Brown

#10 Juniper Hill

Juniper Hill

Elegant Fruitbomb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1480 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 10:59 AM

Steve,

What does this version of chocomead taste like? Is 8 oz choc syrup per gallon fairly sweet? Do you need to age this for any length of time or is it "good to go" once clear?

Thanks,

Neil

Fermenting:

Elderflower Wine

Elderflower Metheglyn

Cream Ale

Currently Growing:

#11 Steve mead

Steve mead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:08 AM

OK, this mead won "Best of Show" at 3 different competitions:
1 quart of honey per gallon of volume, energizer & nutrient as appropriate, Lalvin K1v-1116. Ferment & rack as needed until finished (.998 or so). Rack again and add 8 ounces per gallon Hershey's chocolate syrup, stir well. As I said above, the mead will drop clear very quickly, rack and bottle adding 5-7 drops of GOOD vanilla per bottle. The resulting mead/metheglyn will be pale copper. Chocolate will be evident in both the nose and flavor.

#12 Steve mead

Steve mead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:16 AM

Steve,

What does this version of chocomead taste like? Is 8 oz choc syrup per gallon fairly sweet? Do you need to age this for any length of time or is it "good to go" once clear?

Thanks,

Neil

It was quite good at bottling. The K1 fermented it dry and the 1 qt. per provided high alcohol. It was like an off dry chocolate liquer. A bottle shared with a lover by the fire was a wonderful thing. Dam, I've got to check the cellar. There may be 1 bottle left, I'm thinking Christmas Eve!

#13 Allen B

Allen B

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:35 AM

OK, this might be a stupid question, but are you calculating 1 qt of honey per gallon of water added, or would that be one quart of honey per (combined honey & water) finished gallon? In other words, 25% honey & 75% water per gallon of finished mead?
Allen Brown

#14 Juniper Hill

Juniper Hill

Elegant Fruitbomb

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1480 posts

Posted 17 December 2010 - 11:48 AM

Thanks Steve and Allen. I guess I need to make some more mead.

Fermenting:

Elderflower Wine

Elderflower Metheglyn

Cream Ale

Currently Growing:

#15 Steve mead

Steve mead

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 513 posts

Posted 18 December 2010 - 11:57 AM

Allen,
It's a 75/25% blend. I add 6 quarts of honey to my fermenter and 2 gallons of hot tap water (I'm on a well, never use chlorinated water for meadmaking). Stir well (I use a whip on my power drill) then add cool water to the six gallon mark, add nutrient and yeast and be patient.

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Bing (1)