Twitter - @cairdeaswinery

#2 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:09 PM

What are you looking to buy? I watched Two Mountain press with their 2.5 ton horizontal bladder press and I was immediately thinking of how I could get on of those bad-asses.

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#3 Pushn40

Pushn40

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:26 PM

Hi - I'm interested. I just sent you an email.

#4 West Seattle Winery

West Seattle Winery

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 04:46 PM

What are you looking to buy? I watched Two Mountain press with their 2.5 ton horizontal bladder press and I was immediately thinking of how I could get on of those bad-asses.

Honestly I am not entirely sure yet. Bladder presses are the most economical. I was really happy with my Lancman this year and they make a 250L model and that is my leading option right now (would love to be able to press a ton at a time instead of half ton) but will be on the lookout for hydraulic presses too. The horizontal presses are bad curse. I love that they press... then roll to break up the cake, then press again... and all computerized. I talked to a guy who said the press paid for itself within 3 years just from the extra yield... badass yes. Also VERY VERY expensive.

Pushn40 I just replied to your note. Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

Cheers,
-Charlie
-Charlie
Cairdeas Winery

Posted Image

Check us out online!
www.cairdeaswinery.com
facebook.com/cairdeaswinery

#5 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:24 PM

Honestly I am not entirely sure yet. Bladder presses are the most economical. I was really happy with my Lancman this year and they make a 250L model and that is my leading option right now (would love to be able to press a ton at a time instead of half ton) but will be on the lookout for hydraulic presses too. The horizontal presses are bad curse. I love that they press... then roll to break up the cake, then press again... and all computerized. I talked to a guy who said the press paid for itself within 3 years just from the extra yield... badass yes. Also VERY VERY expensive.

Pushn40 I just replied to your note. Let me know if there is anything else I can answer for you.

Cheers,
-Charlie

Two Mountain's is everything you said except computer controlled. It was pretty old & beat up and they did a bunch of work to it.

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#6 West Seattle Winery

West Seattle Winery

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:26 PM

Two Mountain's is everything you said except computer controlled. It was pretty old & beat up and they did a bunch of work to it.

We could go in on it together... I think they start somewhere in the 30k range!
-Charlie
Cairdeas Winery

Posted Image

Check us out online!
www.cairdeaswinery.com

#7 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3320 posts

Posted 16 November 2010 - 06:47 PM

We could go in on it together... I think they start somewhere in the 30k range!

I'll cut a check tomorrow.

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#8 coffeefarm

coffeefarm

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 18 November 2010 - 11:03 PM

I am interested in your press. I am in Santa Cruz, Ca. Can you give me a little more information about it. How is it to ship. Any ideas on how much it would cost?

Thanks

#9 West Seattle Winery

West Seattle Winery

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 11:38 AM

I am interested in your press. I am in Santa Cruz, Ca. Can you give me a little more information about it. How is it to ship. Any ideas on how much it would cost?

Thanks

Hey Coffeefarm,

I can give you as much info as you like about the press. Can you tell me what you would like to know about it?

When it was delivered to me it was in a steel cage but I can easily take off the casters and put it on a pallet for shipping. I would imagine that it would be a couple hundred bucks for freight. YRC should be able to give you a quote - http://www.yrc.com/
-Charlie
Cairdeas Winery

Posted Image

Check us out online!
www.cairdeaswinery.com

#10 West Seattle Winery

West Seattle Winery

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 November 2010 - 12:11 PM

Here is some more info that I emailed to Pushn40 that might be helpful:

It is less than 1 year old. I actually got the press in August and used it to press 6 wines this year. The press works wonderfully and I would be keeping it but we are going to try to make a big jump in production next year and want to try to get something a little bigger.

It is a Lancman 170L press. I am not sure about exact model but I think it is called a VSP-x170.

It will fit 1000# or more of fermented red must and I was able to press an entire barrel of wine in about 15/20min which was awesome. Last year I used a #35 wooden ratchet press and the same process took 3 hours. This was a time saver for sure.

I also pressed 2 whites with it this year. Those were 1000# lots as well. I could fit about 600# of freshly destemmed grapes in the press so I had to do 2 pressings on those lots. On one of them I even loaded all of the skins back in and pressed a 3rd pressing to get more yield. Pressing the whites took about an hour as once pressure in the case builds it up takes a while for that all to equalize. I could have probably pressed longer too and gotten more.

It has a variable pressure valve that lets you adjust the pressure from 1-3 bar so you can really dial in how hard you want to press. It is also equipped with a pressure release valve that opens at 3 bar so your bladder wont blow up. I just ran a hose from the sink in our garage winery to the press and turned on the cold water and watched the wine come out.

I also am not able to find much info about this press online (but I have found this to be true with a lot of the italian made equipment that I have bought) but I can try grabbing the manual that came with it and scanning in some pages if that would be helpful.

St. Pats sells a different brand of press and their all stainless model is only a 160L with tilting stand is $3400, and the speidel press that more wine sells is $3400 but that one has painted lid and base.

For the money I paid for it I was really happy (and if it doesn't sell I will have no problem keeping it and using it again next year).

Calamity Cellars on this board bought the 80L model that is identical to this and has posted about it a few times:
http://www.winepress...9172-whooohooo/
http://www.winepress...rush-in-review/ (make sure you read through this one all the way to get is final impression of the press at the end)

Hope this info helps. Let me know if you have any other questions.
-Charlie
Cairdeas Winery

Posted Image

Check us out online!
www.cairdeaswinery.com

#11 West Seattle Winery

West Seattle Winery

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip