• Please log in to reply
19 replies to this topic

#16 NormanCreekDoug

NormanCreekDoug

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 343 posts
  • Interests:Growing grapes, making wine, drinking wine. Woodworking. Building things. Beekeeping. Fair weather hunting.

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:20 AM

I have a Hanna pHep HI 98128 - in my junk drawer. After two very frustrating seasons I gave up on it. It came from the factory with a nicked o-ring on the electrode which leaked solution into the unit. They replaced that, but then it leaked again - temperature change caused it to suck in fluid and soaked the electronics. It's a shame they make such a poor unit - I expect their pricier equipment is better quality, but I'll never buy it.

I switched to the Vinmetrica 300, have been very happy with it and highly recommend it.

#17 bantam9

bantam9

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 601 posts

Posted 12 September 2014 - 07:37 AM

The Vinmetrica 300 looks great.  I would love to have pH, TA, and SO2 all in one.  It might be worht the price tag, as long as it is robust and lasts.

#18 Ynot Drinkmore

Ynot Drinkmore

• Members
  • Pip
  • 57 posts
  • Interests:Wine tasting, Wine making, Corvette's, Running

Posted 12 September 2014 - 08:40 AM

As a follow-up on the Vinemetrica.  They have also introduced an additional ML probe.  With this new probe it attaches to the base unit and you can test ml in a few minutes.  I haven't purchased this probe yet, but it is nice to know that when they are designing new enhanced features they are making them backwards compatible versus requiring you to purchase a new unit.

Tony     

My Motto:  "Drink what you like, Like what you drink"

2015 Fermenting Sierra Foothills Barbera and Zinfandel

#19 GEM

GEM

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 567 posts
  • Interests:growing grapes & wine making, golf, gardening, life

Posted 12 September 2014 - 05:21 PM

I am just now using my Vinmetrica MLF tester. It is used in conjunction with the 300 and works pretty slick. Being the first time I have used it it has taken me an hour to read the manual, over and over, and view the video too. It takes about an hour or so to complete a test, which is not too bad. You just need to follow the direction carefully. I am a fan of the Vinmetrica! Cheers, Gary
Gary Means

#20 fro-zen farms

fro-zen farms

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts
  • Interests:working in the yard, fishing, playing guitar, making wine

Posted 24 January 2016 - 11:55 AM

I had used the same hannah meter for the first year or so and always got different results. decided to drop coin on the Vinmetrica 300 as mentioned above and have had very consistent results. I do check my readings with the hannah from time to time but i don't trust it anymore.

Pat

3 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 3 guests, 0 anonymous users