• Please log in to reply
10 replies to this topic

#1 gershon

gershon

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 17 October 2010 - 01:41 AM

I have 1000 liter stainless steel tanks, that are showing mold on the top of the cover and on the plastic bladder. I can clean the stainless, but how to clean the bladder and especially to get into the crack between the bladder and wall without removing the top? I've tried spraying a SO2 solution without apparent results, and I don't want to bring bleach anywhere near the wine.
thanks

#2 ReUnitePangea

ReUnitePangea

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 17 December 2011 - 07:41 PM

Does the tank currently have wine in it? Thats going to be a problem if it does.

If it was empty try using a mildly alkaline solution. If you can remove the bladder and soak it for a bit even better. For the other spots (I cant exactly picture your exact problem area) try using a plastic bristle brush with the mild alkaline solution. If you have any pictures that would help even more.
-RUP

#3 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 18 December 2011 - 05:34 AM

Perhaps 96% ethanol can help? can you reach it with an ear tip to apply it manually?
My advice may or may not be backed by actually personal expirience and should be treated as such. :)

#4 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13063 posts

Posted 18 December 2011 - 01:46 PM

The only way to clean then properly is to tear them apart. You can use any number of cleaners followed by disinfectant/sanitizers. I like 5 star products like PBW for cleaning and StarSan for sanitizing.
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#5 running wolf

running wolf

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 580 posts
  • Interests:Kayaking, gardening, Wine Making, Rock Collecting

Posted 18 December 2011 - 02:03 PM

I agree with Gregorio. I would have my cleaning supplies ready to do and then remove the top. It's easiest if you have something like a large drum to set the top on and then remove the bladder and clean it and the track it sets in. I usually use a 3 gallon bucket I can just dip the whole bladder in while wriping it down. When I'm done I just pour a meta solution over the entire lid.
Running Wolf Wine Cellar
Edinboro, Pa.

#6 Canadian Corkdork

Canadian Corkdork

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 175 posts
  • Interests:Wine, art, food along with outdoor activities.

Posted 10 August 2012 - 08:55 PM

In the wineries I have worked at, the general protocol when doing a thorough cleaning is to use a 0.5% caustic solution followed by a water rinse, a rinse with citric acid to neutralize any caustic residue and a final hot water rinse to remove the citric. Caustic will make short work of all but the toughest organic deposits and is not nearly as scary to work with as many people assume, provided you wear gloves and eye protection.

That being said, Greg is right in that if you want to get your equipment really clean, you have to strip it down to its components. I am in the process of getting the crush pad equipment ready for the upcoming harvest at my work, so I have been up to my elbows in caustic for the past week or so, all the while cursing the lazy interns who did such a miserable job cleaning the stuff at the end of last harvest!

#7 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 11 August 2012 - 02:24 AM

I like 5 star products like PBW for cleaning

Isnt it basically different compounds leading to a final result hydrogen peroxide and other alkeline compounds to creat a strong oxidizer and base.
To my understanding its sodium metasilicate,sodium carbonate and sodium percarbonate.
My advice may or may not be backed by actually personal expirience and should be treated as such. :)

#8 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13063 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 01:50 PM

Yes - PBW is a mix of several different compounds. By iteself, Sodium Metasilicate is not a very good cleaner but in combination with a percarbonate, it makes for a very powerful solution. BTW, it is also not an oxydizer.
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#9 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 04:20 PM

BTW, it is also not an oxydizer.

Doesnt sodium percarbonate releases hydrogen peroxide = "active oxygen" part of cleansers ?

I'm trying to understand what are the benifits of PWB over just sodium peroxide 5% solution (from very cheap pallets).

#10 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 13063 posts

Posted 11 August 2012 - 05:07 PM

Talking about Sodium Metasilicate, the subject of the previous sentence.

#11 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts

Posted 12 August 2012 - 03:23 AM

I was talking about the entire PWB mix :)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users