21 replies to this topic

#16 cmoore

cmoore

WinePress.US Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 07:45 AM

QUOTE (muscadine @ Mar 10 2005, 07:53 PM)
Well Jack (MR. KELLER) I feel like I've been put in my place. Eating humble pie isn't one of my strong points but it looks like I'm developing an appetite for it. Thanks for doing the research on this. tongue.gif

Yep Humble Pie is served here daily! wink.gif

Cheryl
Dream like you will live forever. Live like there is no tomorrow.

#17 muscadine

muscadine

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts
  • Interests:Fishing, Hunting, woodworking, muscadine cultivation and wine making

Posted 11 March 2005 - 06:57 PM

Come on Cheryl, you didn't have to agree with me. You know opinoins (my opinions, not yours) are like like a** holes, everybodys got one. roflmao.gif

#18 Jack Keller

Jack Keller

Still Learning

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1946 posts

Posted 11 March 2005 - 10:24 PM

Muscadine and Cheryl, I wasn't trying to serve anyone humble pie, just explain the process. I knew there had to be a reason for the 3-week timeline I've always heard about and had pretty much figured it out myself years ago after cutting open grapes that had been froze a short while and for 3 weeks, but checked to make sure. Now we all know.

#19 cd_spradlin

cd_spradlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 02:45 PM

Anyone know the shelf life of frozen muscadines--as far as for winemaking? I gave a friend about 35 lbs, and unfortunately he was transferred to Macon, GA, soon afterward and had no chance to make his wine yet. He's an engineer with the railroad, and has very little free time. This was in Sept-Oct, so the grapes are now at least 6-7 months old. Any suggestions? I seldom leave anything in the freezer over a couple months before fermenting.

#20 cmoore

cmoore

WinePress.US Supporter

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1472 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:02 PM

CD: I have had fruit in my freezer for up to 2 years and itís been fine (including scuppernong grapes). As long as they havenít been thawed and refrozen or show signs of freezer burn they should be fine.

Cheryl
Dream like you will live forever. Live like there is no tomorrow.

#21 cd_spradlin

cd_spradlin

• Members
  • Pip
  • 90 posts

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:15 PM

I think they're ok, too, Cheryl, but there's no telling when he'll be transferred back to Tenn. They are the wild black variety, and weren't washed beforehand, but were in good shape.

#22 Hippie

Hippie

REBEL

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 6497 posts
  • Interests:God, family, music, winemaking, wine drinking, beer drinking, camping, fishing, BBQ, etc., etc.

Posted 27 March 2005 - 03:59 PM

I have had the wild muscadines in the freezer for over a year before and the wine turned out great, CD. Good to see you here again.
REBEL

"......lay down the boogie and play that funky music 'til ya die...'til ya die !"

My name is Sikki Lee and I approved this message !

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users