17 replies to this topic

#1 smokinjoe359

smokinjoe359

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 06:22 PM

when using water to lower brix.how far will you go?how much is too much? whats your limit if using cv grapes?
Joe

#2 Calamity Cellars

Calamity Cellars

Current WinePress Donor

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3252 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:30 PM

There is no 'limit' its a matter of your goals. Why do you want to add water? What is your starting brix? What is your target brix? Did you intentionally pick the fruit at the higher brix for stylistic reasons or did that just happen?

Alan Holtzheimer

Silver Bell Winery

#3 smokinjoe359

smokinjoe359

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 07 October 2010 - 08:42 PM

had a zin that was 27 and took it down to 25 and basiclly wondered if i added too much water. grapes get trucked in and we dont get a choice. so i was just wondering what a reasonable limit is. 1 brix 2 or 3 brix?

joe
Joe

#4 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 03:30 AM

I would recommend you compensate for dilution by draining off some juice for rose.
My advice may or may not be backed by actually personal expirience and should be treated as such. :)

#5 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15666 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 08 October 2010 - 07:34 AM

I would recommend you compensate for dilution by draining off some juice for rose.

Is the point of this approach to increase skin to juice ratio?
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#6 billy5077

billy5077

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 349 posts
  • Interests:Wine!

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:40 AM

Make sure that you adjust your acid to compensate for the amelioration or watering down of your must. Figure out how much juice yield your going to have in liters by multiplying # of gallons by 3.785. The add 1 gram of tartaric per liter to raise your TA 1g/l or .10%. For example adding 225 grams of Tartaric acid to 225 liters of wine will raise a .50% TA to .60% TA.

had a zin that was 27 and took it down to 25 and basiclly wondered if i added too much water. grapes get trucked in and we dont get a choice. so i was just wondering what a reasonable limit is. 1 brix 2 or 3 brix?

joe

#7 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts
  • Interests:Music writing\production, cooking, cheesemaking, winemaking, piano playing, sound design.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:47 AM

Yep.
Get it back to its original balance if not better.
My advice may or may not be backed by actually personal expirience and should be treated as such. :)

#8 fmestas

fmestas

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 940 posts
  • Location:Los Ranchos de Albuquerque, NM, Elevation: 5000 ft, GDD: 3600

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:36 AM

Yep.
Get it back to its original balance if not better.

I think it depends on the variety and the state of the grapes when they were picked. I recently brought a cab down from 27 to 25 brix, but did not pull any juice back out because when the grapes were picked, they were pretty shriveled/dehydrated. With Cab's tiny berries, if I would have tried to maintain that skin/juice ratio I think the wine would have ended up really unbalanced/overextracted. With a big berried, thin skinned grape like Sangiovese I definitely would have pulled out the juice.

Frank
Frank Mestas

www.elsranxos.com

"The absence of defects is not the presence of virtues" - Sean Thackrey

#9 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:49 AM

What im suggesting is by no means a rule of thumb, you should always make edjucated decisions according to your fruit.

#10 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9612 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:20 AM

when using water to lower brix.how far will you go?how much is too much? whats your limit if using cv grapes?

To answer your original question, here's my own rule of thumb: I would never add any more than 10% above your expected yield. For example, if your estimated yield is 10 gallons, don't add any more than a gallon of water. If that means that your Brix is still a little on the high side, then so be it.

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#11 Wade's Wines

Wade's Wines

Colonel Wade, Bottle Brigade, 3rd Glass

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 15666 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking
    Auctioneering
    Woodcarving
    Brewing
    Kayaking

Posted 08 October 2010 - 10:38 AM

We saved several bottles of grape juice from our wine grape vines this year, just for a breakfast juice. Everyone whose tried it felt it could be diluted 10% without losing a thing, the flavors and sugar are so strong.
I think your 10% rule is a good one, Steve.
Tennessee Auctioneer, makin' wines and growin' vines!
The Best of Times is Now! :0)

#12 smokinjoe359

smokinjoe359

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 01:09 PM

To answer your original question, here's my own rule of thumb: I would never add any more than 10% above your expected yield. For example, if your estimated yield is 10 gallons, don't add any more than a gallon of water. If that means that your Brix is still a little on the high side, then so be it.

Steve
That is exactly what i was looking for.I added about 7% so i should be ok.I was always afraid to add water but i thought i would try it this year.

Thanks
Joe

#13 WineMan2008

WineMan2008

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 964 posts
  • Interests:Making quality wine, Cooking, Hiking, Classic Cars, Making memories with my family and friends.

Posted 08 October 2010 - 08:32 PM

Steve,

What's wrong with turning water into wine? roflmao.gif

#14 gregorio

gregorio

Wino In Training

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 12994 posts

Posted 08 October 2010 - 09:15 PM

No one rule of thumb fits all grapes and all situations. We have successfully watered back 30% plus brix down to 24 with as much as a 50% water addition. Two Gold medals if I remember.
Perrucci Family Wines by Kennedy Hill Vineyards. Contact us regarding our monthly cork group buys.

#15 Tomer1

Tomer1

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 5410 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 03:53 AM

No one rule of thumb fits all grapes and all situations. We have successfully watered back 30% plus brix down to 24 with as much as a 50% water addition. Two Gold medals if I remember.

You cant make such a statment without telling the whole story... :P

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users