5 replies to this topic

#1 brewer

brewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:bees ,, wine

Posted 05 October 2010 - 05:36 PM

I'm thinking of buying a few things ,, and just want to know about shelf life,, like for ,,,,, sorbic acid ,,pectic enzyme ,,campden tablets ,,,potassium metabisulfite ,,ascorbic acid,,,, acid blend .... I don't w3ant to get more then I use befor the life runs out .. yep I'm a new bee with making wine ( 5 years from now i'll still be a new bee still learning )

#2 mokadir

mokadir

Cellar Junkie

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3023 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 06:45 PM

Keep them closed up and dry and they should last for years. Is sorbic acid the same as sorbate? If so, it may not last as long as the others, from what I remember.
Bob
2013 awaiting barrel: inlaws CV Bordeaux blends, friends OV Zin, Wash Syrah and Sangio, Gren/PS for Rhone blending
AGING: 2012 Chardonnay Champagne
BARRELING: Yakima Valley Pinot Noir 12, CV Zin, Lake County Montepulciano and Zin 12
Awaiting bottle: ...

#3 smokinjoe359

smokinjoe359

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 888 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:24 PM

i thought sorbate had a short shelf life ( 6 months or so).i guess it is one you dont want to take a chance with.

Joe
Joe

#4 MinnesotaMaker

MinnesotaMaker

Nut (wine and otherwise)

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2027 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Gardening, Preserving, Old Cameras, Karaoke, Motorcycling, Hunting

Posted 05 October 2010 - 08:38 PM

Are you talking about Ascorbic Acid? Wiki - Acid

I've always been told that sorbate has a shelf life of about 6 months if stored properly. Pectic enzyme is also an item that seems to degrade over time for me. Proper storage would play a large part in how well they survive. Some things can be frozen or refrigerated to improve longevity. Most of the chemicals are fairly cheap. You'll usually only save pennies per batch by buying large quantities. I wouldn't want to ruin a batch of wine and all the hard work put into it to save a little cash. One more thing you need to ask yourself: "How long has the item been sitting on the retailer's shelf?" It's not often dated. Buying from a supplier with a steady turn-over of inventory might help solve this.

#5 rpage53

rpage53

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1586 posts

Posted 05 October 2010 - 10:42 PM

Are you talking about Ascorbic Acid?

He did mention ascorbic acid but the sorbate we use is a potassium salt of sorbic acid. Either can be used.

Sorbate is good for 3 years if kept from heat, light and moisture. However, if you open the container, moisture is introduced and you can't be sure of its activity a year later. So there is no advantage to lay up a multi-year stock.

The other ingredients you mention have a reliably long shelf life. Liquid pectic enzyme must be refrigerated.

Rick.

#6 brewer

brewer

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 155 posts
  • Interests:bees ,, wine

Posted 11 October 2010 - 08:08 PM

I was thinking of getting a few things things that I do not have .. thought it would be nice to have if and when I want to try useing .. but maybe best to buy as needed .. but also want to know self life of things I have .................Thank all for the reply s

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users