#2 Doyle

Doyle

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3833 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking, Home Theater, RC Planes, Ham Radio, Solar Electric

Posted 19 May 2010 - 05:36 PM

A number of years ago my wife and I were dining at Buona Tavola (Italian Restaurant) in Paso Robles. We had ordered a bottle of Italian wine and it turned out to be corked. The waiter wasn't sure and he called the wine steward over who I believe was a close associate of Justin Smiths. He had put himself through school at Cal Poly SLO working at the restaurant and now was just paying them back by working on weekends there. He quickly sniffed the bottle and said it was corked and brought us another bottle. I think he wanted to be sure we were satisfied so later during our meal he brought over an open bottle of Saxum Bonerock Syrah. We were blown away. He said that Justin had donated a large format bottle but could only make it up by using already bottled 750 ml bottles and this bottle was what was left over. We will never forget that Syrah. The accolades to Justin Smith are well deserved as well as the tribute to the Paso Robles appelation. Tonight we will toast Justin and Paso with an 07 Syrah that I made from what is referred to as an Eastside Vineyard.

#3 Andy in SoCal

Andy in SoCal

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2190 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:30 PM

I've meet Justin a few times, he's the real deal and a great guy. We had even planned on naming our next dog after his middle name (Strider) but she came pre-named (Lilly).

Love his wines!

Andy
Andy Coradeschi
Cellarmasters Home Wine Making Club
www.CellarmastersLA.org

"Wine is light, held together by water." Galileo

#4 bret

bret

Hesed Vineyards

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2203 posts
  • Interests:Reading the Bible. Tending vineyard. Making wine. Playing w/my English Bulldogs. Practicing medicine.

Posted 20 May 2010 - 02:57 PM

Congratulations, Justin! I like Paso Robles anyway, ever since I heard they're not as "exclusionary" there like Sonoma and Napa (I heard that in those places you can't have a small vineyard and winery; They try to keep the small guys out that way. What a bunch of insecure, greedy, anti-American-wayers!). -Bret
Bret A. Moore, Southwest Nebraska

#5 K-9

K-9

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2189 posts

Posted 20 May 2010 - 03:52 PM

I know of him well and his wines have always been greatly respected by the couple of wine afficionado's i knew that met him and drank the wine. Paso Robles wines has intrigued me a lot! I will struggle to delve deeper into their dynamic! Congrats Justin!!!

#6 craig pretzinger

craig pretzinger

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 16 September 2010 - 09:38 AM

I was just at a friend's wedding near Eureka, CA. His sister is married to Justin. I had the opportunity to hang out with him and his family for quite awhile at the wedding. Spectacular people, and spectacular vino!! I can't say I have ever had a better bottle of wine.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users