#16 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, Cycling and Arm chair with friends

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:28 AM

white rice next to a nice Tbone, ribeye or stuffed pork chop.
tsk! tsk! ;)

Posted Image

Putting "the Country" in Wine Country.

my blog ---> Den Of Uniquity

#17 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 15 May 2010 - 10:51 AM

I saw this coming, Joel, when you mentioned (OMG) White rice! Everyone knows there is no food value in that, or potatoes, or white bread!! BUT sort of like making fine wine.

Mostly, I refuse a sandwich on whole wheat. Why? Too much flavor in the bread, and it kills the real mayo, bacon, Lettuce and Tomato!! All you can taste is bread!!

So if you wish to taste wild, crazy rice, then let the veggies go, Why add the vegies? The balance will not be good.

If you want to stick rice in there, I vote for white! Basmata or Long Grain. No way wild or whole wheat! It will take over the whole thing!!

I think you should make your rice on the side whichever you love. But leave the recipe intact, with the cheese exceptions...... And this would pair well with Chicken Breasts, Salmon on the Cedar Plank, or a good thick steak!!
JMHO
Suzi

#18 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:19 PM

DD- I respect your opinion, however, I find the WW breads- compliment the internal inhabitants rather than kill.
now where can I find the whole wheat rice? ;)

side dish- not sure if I made my self clear, I think maybe in the winter making it Paella style, rice/grains of CHOICE all in one wold be fun/filling and comforting,
however I am into spring/summer mode, I would make veggie dish and GOC separately.
I tend to do a supper with my GOC packed in a small bowl then I invert this on center of plate, and put veggies around, like a wreath, then lifting the bowl off- having a stunning presentation. You eat with your eyes first- then you can eat some veggie, then some GOC and even eat them together.

#19 Monkeywine

Monkeywine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving, rock climbing, reading, building things, playing with my son, learning new things and now wine making

Posted 15 May 2010 - 12:56 PM

Goc in middle thinly sliced rare steak around it and veggies around that. Sounds good. I'm cooking this later this week...

#20 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 15 May 2010 - 09:47 PM

Goc in middle thinly sliced rare steak around it and veggies around tha

you could also do a pasta that way in place of GOC.

a simple aglio olio (garlic and olive oil) tossed pasta in a small bowl

hint: cut your cooked steak (cough) same size and shape as veggies ( I do mine long and thin to match penne)
mix together just before service.

ps- post a pic :)

#21 Myzootwo

Myzootwo

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 423 posts
  • Interests:Winemaking (of course), gardening, auctions, genealogy, work and family.

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:10 AM

Hmmm the nutritional yeast has me a bit puzzled too (the only yeast in this house is wine yeast) , but I still say Chef and his wife are lucky I am not a neighbor of theirs, I'd be showing up conveniently around dinner time every day with some excuse to be stopping by! Joel, your version sounds wonderful too, except the kraft cheese (sorry) I'd probably go with feta cheese. You are probably lucky I'm not your neighbor either if you make wonderful fare like that on the regular!

"Dare to be different! If everyone was the same the world would be a very boring place."

In the primarys: Skeeter Pee, Berry blend with chili peppers, Pom./concord/berry blend
In the secondarys: Crabapple X 3, Crabapple/Blueberry/Cherry Blend, Skeeter Pee X 3, Cranberry, Banana, Pear, Pear/crabapple/apple, Elderberry
Bottled: skeeter pee, cranapple, pomegranate tea/clover/panax ginseng leaf, blackberry/elderberry, sumac berry, cherry, cherry/berry mix, passion fruit, blackberry, elderberry, elderflower, elderberry blush, coffee, spiced apple, plum, blackberry blush,blueberry/pomegranite, coffee, cherry/pomegranite, cranberry, green tea & citrus, white grape/peach from concentrate, white grape raspberry from concentrate, apple (pressed fruit, concentrate, juice & cider) , strawberry, green tea, hard iced tea, banana, jalapeno and a bunch more I forgot, been at it for 20 years now smileytoast.gif

#22 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 24 May 2010 - 10:39 AM

Hmmm the nutritional yeast has me a bit puzzled too (the only yeast in this house is wine yeast) , but I still say Chef and his wife are lucky I am not a neighbor of theirs, I'd be showing up conveniently around dinner time every day with some excuse to be stopping by! Joel, your version sounds wonderful too, except the kraft cheese (sorry) I'd probably go with feta cheese. You are probably lucky I'm not your neighbor either if you make wonderful fare like that on the regular!

Well, this is Joel's recipe, and not Chef neil's. Cheffy had an opinion, as we all do. I'm not a fan of anything organic because it usually develops mold in the fridge in like 2 hours!! I'm a regular grocery shopper. I stay way away from those Whole Foods places. I truly believe preservatives help you live longer! Therefore, I add sulfites, or whatever to my wine. Here's to preservatives!! smileytoast.gif

Joel just does not realize that Kraft cheese is NOT cheese, and no self respecting California Cuisine would use it. It has it's place though, and if it helps those veggies shine, I just might (shudder) buy some. Cheese is like wine. It has it's own personality. Some are strong, and some are mild, and some are chemical. Kraft, the chemical version of cheese, is mild, but it has it's place on this earth! You could not enjoy a chili Billi at a little league game, or have nachos at a Hockey or Baseball game without it!! And who here did not grow up with fifty million boxes of Kraft macaroni and cheese? It has it's place!!

If you want the veggies to shine, I think a mild cheese would be added protein, without flavor. So, I'm going with Jack cheese. The Mexican Cojita would be good, but it's too salty! A mild cheese so the veggies can shine. JMHO
Suzi

#23 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 24 May 2010 - 04:47 PM

nutritional yeast has me a bit puzzled

Nutritional yeast has a strong flavor that is described as nutty, cheesy, or creamy, which makes it popular as an ingredient in cheese
substitutes. It is often used by vegans in place of Parmesan cheese. Another popular use is
as a topping for popcorn. It can also be used in mashed and fried
potatoes, as well as putting it into scrambled tofu or eggs. Some movie theaters offer it along with salt or cayenne pepper as a popcorn condiment. It is a source of protein and vitamins, especially the B-complex vitamins and is a complete protein. It is also naturally low in fat and sodium.

I have been thinkin... if I were to add cheese, and you want to compliment not cover the flavors,
a dry jack grated on top would work, as would a parma Reggiano, but a fine Gruyere would be my choice.

#24 Joel

Joel

Amateur Wine Maker & Grape Grower

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10769 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 10:42 AM

I have an idea... when you are making this, and you have a skillet full of veggies, try some cheese on a small piece or section and see how it compliments the veggies. Try a couple different pieces with different cheeses to figure out your final choice that your pallette likes best.

Enjoy!
Now Available "Introduction to Winemaking" DVD!!! Click here to learn more
Posted Image

#25 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts

Posted 27 May 2010 - 01:31 PM

try some cheese on a small piece or section and see how it compliments the veggies. Try a couple different pieces with different cheeses to figure out your final choice that your pallette likes best.

Enjoy!

that is evil- :)
I be samplin' the whole pot..
MMMM- Gruyere, MMM havarti, mmm Munster....
luxhello.gif
arrrghhhh!

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users