24 replies to this topic

#1 Joel

Joel

Amateur Wine Maker & Grape Grower

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10761 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 06:10 AM

Well, after my couple trips to CA a few years ago doing research on where to have the 2007 winefest, I fell in love with the tuscan style of cooking vegetables (as well as everything else I ate). I have never been a vegetable guy, but once I got home, I had to give it a try.... So, here's my vegetable medly which can be a meal in itself, and has gotten rave reviews by anyone who's had it.....

Joel's Tuscan Vegetable Medly
Ingredients:
*Asparagus
*Green Beans
*Broccoli
*Mushrooms
*Bean Sprouts
*barrel aged red wine vinegar (from Greg Perucci)
*Splash of dry red wine of your choice
*1/4 stick of butter
*Olive Oil
*Sesame Seed Oil
*Salt
*Pepper
*Garlic powder
*Oregano
**Optional.... 3 slices of Kraft cheese

Prep all vegetables, wash and cut ends off green beans, slice mushrooms and broccoli heads.

In a big skillet (14 inch or more), melt butter and pour in about 1/4 cup of wine vinegar, a splash of olive oil, and sesame seed oil. Add Salt, Pepper, Garlic Powder and Oregano. Stir together til it blends somewhat. Heat on Medium for about 5 minutes.

First put Aparagus and Green Beans in the skillet and cover. Cooking time may take about 15-20 minutes, stirring often. The green beans should be crunchy still, but getting to where you want them. Once you can get them close to your liking on crunchiness, then add mushroom slices, and broccoli heads. Continue cooking for an additional 5 minutes, stirring often and leaving covered. Then add in bean sprouts and stir. Reduce heat slightly for a few minutes or until beans and asparagus are at the preferred texture. You may now serve....

An option that I like to do, is to add 3 slices of kraft singles cheese over the top of the vegetables and cover for 3-5 minutes. This will melt nearly completely thru the vegetables and mix into the juices below. There will be a slight hint of cheese with all the vegetables.

Enjoy with a glass of wine as a main dish, or as a side dish. I recommend using the wine that you added to the mix if you didn't already drink it. 11doh.gif

Cheers, let me know what you think.... Any chefs out there?
Joel
Now Available "Introduction to Winemaking" DVD!!! Click here to learn more
Posted Image

#2 faty373

faty373

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:27 AM

I will give it a try ,sounds great,thanks Joel.
Chris

#3 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 08:34 AM

So barrel aged wine vinegar. Is that like balsamic? or just red wine vinegar? Most of us "chefs" end up tweaking every recipe to fit what's in our pantry or fridge! I think I would use provolone or jack cheese instead of Kraft, but the whole thing sounds delish! Even now at breakfast time!

Thanks!

Suzi

#4 deb_rn

deb_rn

I am NOT addicted, I am NOT........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 13 May 2010 - 10:06 AM

Now I'm hungry!! Yum!

Debbie
KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower
#47 Dandelion #46 ELDER PEE #45 Elderberry (seconds)

#5 NorthernWiner

NorthernWiner

One of the Regulars

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 9622 posts
  • Interests:Wine (of course), travel, cooking, music, photography

Posted 13 May 2010 - 12:41 PM

Joel, you had me all the way up until the Kraft cheese part. Growing up in Wisconsin dairy country, I have a built-in bias against prefabricated cheese slices. roflmao.gif

I'm no chef, but I'd probably skip the butter (I rarely have it around) and sesame seed oil, and for cheese, I'd use Parmesan or maybe even some Feta. Sounds great otherwise.

Steve Kroll
President, Purple Foot Winemaking Club
"41 Years of Fine Winemaking"
www.purplefoot.org

Wine a little... and you'll feel much better!

#6 VanessaQ

VanessaQ

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Making wine, making art, making websites

Posted 13 May 2010 - 01:59 PM

I sure will try this (or my version thereof)!
I love a little sesame in with the olive oil (do my stir-fry long beans that way) but Parmesan would be the cheese for me. Provolone would be good but would kind of stay on the top. Come to think of it, a few moments under the broiler might make that nice! And fresh garlic - always fresh!
The interesting thing to me is the vinegar. I'll bet that's what makes it unique. I can't wait - better stop at the store. It'll be balsamic, of course.
Thanks, Joel!
Vanessa Q.
17 Gewurz vines, Some blackberries surviving in the test garden (no rasp or elder, alas).
Raspberry Hydromel and Viognier in secondary. WE LE Brunello,WE LE Trio Blanca and Luna Rossa are clarifying.
In various stages: Blackberry, blueberry, Malbec kit, Prickly pear, Joe's Ancient Orange, Mountain wildflower/mesquite mead, "fin" Apple/Pom,Skeeter Pee, blackberry melomel, chai tead, more blackberry melomel, hot chile wine, cherry limeade "Pee".

#7 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, Cycling and Arm chair with friends

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:39 PM

Hi-
for the last 30 or so years I would have not only enjoyed that- but pushed to see THAT kind of exciting fare on my menu...
but Fate has taken me, and I now cringe at BUTTER, American Cheese (actually all cheese's)... even oils.
(sorry folks- Joel)

I do not want to preach, how you eat, is your choice, however if anyone is interested, I am heading up a program at work that is all about healthy eating.
I'm taking the best recipes and tweaking them with new cooking methods, for the healthiest meals around.

For those that are interested in Plant based diets, This recipe begs to be paired with brown rice or other fine grains like wheat berries or kamut.

if you like me to make this one ultra healthy, and Joel- doesn't mind- I'll describe how I would do it.
(this may be my first serious post here ) :D

Putting "the Country" in Wine Country.

my blog ---> Den Of Uniquity

#8 edward sacco

edward sacco

Advanced Member

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 520 posts

Posted 13 May 2010 - 03:51 PM

Joel, you had me all the way up until the Kraft cheese part. Growing up in Wisconsin dairy country, I have a built-in bias against prefabricated cheese slices. roflmao.gif

I'm no chef, but I'd probably skip the butter (I rarely have it around) and sesame seed oil, and for cheese, I'd use Parmesan or maybe even some Feta. Sounds great otherwise.

Now your talkin

#9 Monkeywine

Monkeywine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving, rock climbing, reading, building things, playing with my son, learning new things and now wine making

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:10 PM

Ok chef let's hear it if Joel doesn't mind that is. I actually like a lot of healthier foods though I do love my butter mind you. I only use olive oil when needed but that's just "better" for you not good for you

#10 Chef Neil

Chef Neil

Master of Unique Wines

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1902 posts
  • Interests:Wine making, Cycling and Arm chair with friends

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:41 PM

Ok- since the fan club asked- if joel objexts- kick me to the curb (easy please- I'm not as young as I used to be)

Joel's NEW AND IMPROVED HEALTHY Tuscan Vegetable Medly

Ingredients:
*Asparagus
*Green Beans
*Broccoli
*Mushroom caps
*Bean Sprouts
*balsamic vinegar
* 1/2 tsp. white Sesame Seeds
* 1/4- 1/2 cup water
* fresh cracked Pepper (pepper grinder)
* fresh Garlic cloves-3-4
* fresh Oregano- a tsp chooped
* nutritional yeast as a topping (in place of cheese)

WASH and Prep all veggies to be fork friendly;
in a large saute pan heat sesame seeds to a light toast.
add in 2-3 fresh cloves of garlic smashed with edge of knife and fresh chopped oregano , cook 1 minute
add asparagus, green beans, broccoli and mushroom caps
add water carefully, you will get a boil/steam action ( start off with 1/4 cup- if you like veggies more well done add the other 1/4 cup water)
as the water evaporates and veggies start to cook- give it a stir,
as water is almost gone- add a Tbl. balsamic vinegar let reduce across veggies
hand grind black pepper across veggies
now add the sprouts and shut off heat- mix it up spreading reduced vinegar around the veggies
put on platter and top with nutritional yeast-

would also be good paired with Brown rice, wheat berries or kamut.

Putting "the Country" in Wine Country.

my blog ---> Den Of Uniquity

#11 DesertDance

DesertDance

Look Out Ernest & Julio

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1572 posts
  • Interests:Golf, The Grand kids, the vineyard, and it's pals.. The
    vineyard, Citrus, Figs, Olives, Pomegranates, and blueberries. And let us not forget the Roses!!

Posted 13 May 2010 - 04:42 PM

Tough crowd!! :-) Seriously, I don't think they have Kraft cheese in Tuscany. But the red wine zeros out any ill effects of any cheese..I'm sure I read that somewhere!! Rock on!
Suzi

#12 deb_rn

deb_rn

I am NOT addicted, I am NOT........

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 3967 posts
  • Interests:I garden, sew, bake, craft, enjoy my cats and work as an RN at the local nursing home.

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:37 AM

Someone call 911

Chef is sick!!

He never talks like this... all serious and all!!

Get him a .........
NURSE!

I knew he'd overdo it some day!

Debbie

KATGOTCHERTUNG WINE
#61 Blueberry #60 Mixed berry #59 Niagara #58 Moscato #57 Piesporter- kit #56 Raspberry Melomel #55 Rhubarb
#54 White Grape/Peach #53 Elder Pee #52 Elderberry #51 Black Currant Pee #50 Black Currant #49 Elderflower
#47 Dandelion #46 ELDER PEE #45 Elderberry (seconds)

#13 Joel

Joel

Amateur Wine Maker & Grape Grower

• Admin
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 10761 posts

Posted 14 May 2010 - 08:35 AM

I don't mind anyone tweaking or making a "healthy" version of my recipe. It's just the way I came up with on my own, and I'm no way a chef haaa haa. Neil, I'm going to have to give your version a try. I think it'd be great too over a bed of white rice next to a nice Tbone, ribeye or stuffed pork chop.

Next time I make this, I'm going to take a photo and post it in this thread.

Cheers,
Joel
Now Available "Introduction to Winemaking" DVD!!! Click here to learn more
Posted Image

#14 VanessaQ

VanessaQ

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Interests:Making wine, making art, making websites

Posted 14 May 2010 - 11:22 AM

I'd like to go on the record as PRO-BUTTER! luxhello.gif roflmao.gif
Also, pro oils in moderation, in fact pro just about everything in moderation - except my limoncello verdi (made with lime) which I don't seem to be very moderate about at all. That's some good stuff!

Having said that, I didn't make it to the store to get the assortment of veggies so I had to make do. I can say that the frozen long green and yellow beans and a sizable amount of frozen edamame given the Joel treatment (with the substitution of fresh minced garlic and a bit of parmesan) was most excellent! The wine was my own Blackberry/blueberry blend from my first and third batches. That with the balsamic vinegar gave it a wonderful, unique flavor that totally worked for me and the man.

Asparagus, broccoli and mushrooms, next time. With edamame.
Vanessa Q.
17 Gewurz vines, Some blackberries surviving in the test garden (no rasp or elder, alas).
Raspberry Hydromel and Viognier in secondary. WE LE Brunello,WE LE Trio Blanca and Luna Rossa are clarifying.
In various stages: Blackberry, blueberry, Malbec kit, Prickly pear, Joe's Ancient Orange, Mountain wildflower/mesquite mead, "fin" Apple/Pom,Skeeter Pee, blackberry melomel, chai tead, more blackberry melomel, hot chile wine, cherry limeade "Pee".

#15 Monkeywine

Monkeywine

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 117 posts
  • Interests:Skydiving, rock climbing, reading, building things, playing with my son, learning new things and now wine making

Posted 14 May 2010 - 07:56 PM

Ok chef ill give it to ya. It doesn't sound too bad but you lost me at the nutrient yeast on top. I would also probably keep the red wine in it. Probably a port cooked in with the vinegar to give it a slightly sweet tang. It would be good with a curry sauce lightly spread over it also. You know I think the posibilities are endless on this dish.

Thank you Joel I truely love dishes that you can make 100 times and it never be the same. Ill enjoy playing with this.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users