Anyone made grappa? anyone know how to?

#2 Fried

Fried

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 111 posts
  • Interests:wine making, wine drinking, route 66, my grandaughter Josey

Posted 20 February 2005 - 10:11 AM

It is hard to find instructions on making Grappa as it is distilled and therfore not exactly legal to homebrew in the U.S. However, you can find a book on it at abbeville.com. This is the Abbeville Press Fine Art and Illustrated Books site and they do have a good book on the history and process of making it. The book is just named "GRAPPA". Just remember though, it is a distilled product and therefore probably illegal to make at home.
Fried

#3 Dallo Buco

Dallo Buco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 20 February 2005 - 12:33 PM

I was talknig to my grandfather and he said they made grappa without distilling. He said they used the grape pulp and squeezed it again and they fermented that again. Or somthing to that effect.....

#4 Hal Maulden

Hal Maulden

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 480 posts
  • Interests:Golf, gardening, and snow skiing

Posted 20 February 2005 - 09:03 PM

Remember,

The purchase of a "distillation device" for the use of personal fragrance distilling is perfectly legal.

Yes, I know.

That too.

Hal

#5 ScottS

ScottS

Advanced Member

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE (Hal Maulden @ Feb 20 2005, 09:35 PM)
Remember,

The purchase of a "distillation device" for the use of personal fragrance distilling is perfectly legal.

Yes, I know.

That too.

Hal

If and only if the volume of that device is less than 1 cubic foot.

#6 tazzidevil

tazzidevil

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 211 posts

Posted 21 February 2005 - 06:44 PM

Grappa IS distilled. If it is made otherways it's NOT Grappa.

#7 Jay-CastleRock

Jay-CastleRock

Concetta Cellars

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 09:52 AM

Dallo -

My nanno made it also but it does involve some "equipment." Yes you press and ferment the seeds and pulp. When that is done you put it in a pressure cooker that has 1/4 tubing attached to the vent and then runs through the middle of a garden hose and then into a gallon jug. You put the fermented goods into the cooker, put it on medium heat, turn the faucet on that has the garden hose on it (condenser) and let it run. For each cooker full throw out the first and last 2 cups (heads and tails). Now you have "fuel" for your tractor.
Auguri,
Jay / Concetta Cellars - Traditionally crafted premium wines.

- This post is an original and crafted piece of expression. Any variations of grammar and spelling from the generally accepted norm accentuate itís individuality and uniqueness.

#8 jknipe2000

jknipe2000

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:20 AM

QUOTE (Jay-CastleRock @ Feb 22 2005, 11:24 AM)
Dallo -

My nanno made it also but it does involve some "equipment." Yes you press and ferment the seeds and pulp. When that is done you put it in a pressure cooker that has 1/4 tubing attached to the vent and then runs through the middle of a garden hose and then into a gallon jug. You put the fermented goods into the cooker, put it on medium heat, turn the faucet on that has the garden hose on it (condenser) and let it run. For each cooker full throw out the first and last 2 cups (heads and tails). Now you have "fuel" for your tractor.

if your going to break the law and create a distilling device for the purpose of distilling alcohol for consumption, do your research on the correct temperature ranges for the boiling point of alcohol, and any other nasties that you dont want to end up in your distillate. 2 cups heads and tails is a good rule of thumb maybe, but depends on the size of your device. if you throw out 2 cups at the beginning and end, but you are only cooking 6 cups of mash, then your throwing a lot of perfectly good stuff away..

anyways, i dont recommend anyone do this, its a big no no....i have an acquaintance who has recently been busted. hes been making/selling for over 20 years..got greedy i guess and thats how he got caught lol.

#9 jknipe2000

jknipe2000

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 10:23 AM

http://www.clearcree....com/Grappa.htm

#10 Jay-CastleRock

Jay-CastleRock

Concetta Cellars

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 12:30 PM

The pressure cooker idea wasn't so much as a suggestion as it was relating how my curmudgeon grandfather did it. I still prefer my 4 foot, 3 valve, 6 tray, reflux water purification system. I hate all that alcohol in my yeast water. 11doh.gif
Auguri,

- This post is an original and crafted piece of expression. Any variations of grammar and spelling from the generally accepted norm accentuate itís individuality and uniqueness.

#11 ScottS

ScottS

Advanced Member

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 779 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 01:44 PM

www.homedistiller.org

#12 jknipe2000

jknipe2000

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:09 PM

QUOTE (Jay-CastleRock @ Feb 22 2005, 02:02 PM)
The pressure cooker idea wasn't so much as a suggestion as it was relating how my curmudgeon grandfather did it. I still prefer my 4 foot, 3 valve, 6 tray, reflux water purification system. I hate all that alcohol in my yeast water. 11doh.gif

would it bother you if i told you i work at mt. weather, virginia? and that i have worked for both homeland security and ATF?....

i dont , but would it bother you? smile.gif

#13 Jay-CastleRock

Jay-CastleRock

Concetta Cellars

• WinePress.US Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 2663 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 02:47 PM

would it bother you if i told you i work at mt. weather, virginia? and that i have worked for both homeland security and ATF?....

Nope. Considering that on any given day it has actual water in it because the community I live in has the worst well water you could imagine. I distill about 10 gallons every 2 weeks when I do the water changes in my saltwater aquarium and reserve some for make up. Loose all my coral or worry about ATF/TTB ÖÖ. Tough choice. Are those bottles of Saphire store bought you ask? Not real sure.

Edit- By August I'll have my limited winery/distillery license from the state and TTB so it'll all be moot. I then can pontificate profusely without retribution. Heck at that point Iíll even post the website for mail orders. Provided your state has reciprocity.
Auguri,

#14 Dallo Buco

Dallo Buco

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 22 February 2005 - 07:43 PM

What do we have to worry about? is that a threat?

All we were talking about is how our Grandparents made Grappa. Its an Italian tradition.

Its people like that, that make me question the government...

#15 jknipe2000

jknipe2000

Veteran Wine Maker

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 24 February 2005 - 08:14 AM

QUOTE (Dallo Buco @ Feb 22 2005, 09:15 PM)
What do we have to worry about? is that a threat?

All we were talking about is how our Grandparents made Grappa. Its an Italian tradition.

Its people like that, that make me question the government...

lol chill out, i was just kidding around. did you not read the whole post? :rolleyes:

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users